The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Bessie parked in NYC during the Doctor Who USA Tour (1986)
    Bessie parked in NYC during the Doctor Who USA Tour (1986)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  Party Animals [*SPOILERS POSSIBLE*]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Party Animals [*SPOILERS POSSIBLE*] Views: 1001
     Monday, January 12 2009 @ 02:23 PM EST
    If you're a fan of British political drama, like me, the one thing that may have been most surprising about the Matt Smith pick was that you'd already seen him but probably didn't know it until they started running some Party Animals clips on Confidential. For me, it was a different experience to the one I'd had with Tennant and Eccleston. With the Ninth and Tenth Doctors, I really had no contact whatsoever with either. But here, I'd seen him but never knew his name, nor particularly logged him as someone I needed to watch for.

No, my interest in Party Animals came initially from my love of the British political narrative, fueled mainly by the unparalleled comedy of Yes, Minister, House of Cards, and The Thick of It. Party Animals is quite a different show altogether, and attempt to sort of be what The West Wing initially was: an investigation of the nooks and crannies of government, rather than its brighter corridors.

So what I wonder, of those apparently few that have seen it, what did you think overall? Was it worth the measly 1 million viewers it got? Was it underrated? And, of course, what did you think about Matt Smith's ability to create and flesh out a character over the course of what would effectively be a half-series of Doctor Who? Put another way, does Party Animals give you more or less confidence in his acting abilities?

If you've seen at least a whole episode, please feel free to share your thoughts about it below.

[MODS: Over time, once there actually is a Matt Smith era to speak of, this thread will probably be better moved to a different forum. For the moment, though, it's probably more convenient to keep it here in Matt Smith Land]

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 10:53 AM EST
    I've watched the whole show over the last week and quite enjoyed it actually. I don't think I'd want to watch it again, and none of the characters were people I'd want to know, but there is a peverse kind of pleasure in seeing people be so terribly nasty to each other and hell-bent on destroying each other!

Matt Smith was the character who seemed to have far less of a character arc than anyone else, but he was also a solid anchor to the series, and there were moments where I could certainly see him acting and seeming much older than his (at the time) 24 or 25 years.

I'm surprised it got such lousy ratings however. It seems like the kind of scandalous type of show that should have done quite well.

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Monday, January 19 2009 @ 02:27 AM EST
    Sadly, I've only managed to catch two episodes so far, and the last one is on TV on Tuesday night.
    But most of it I missed because my parents always seem to feel the need to make us have dinner while it's on and don't let me watch it on the TV in the living room.

So far I enjoyed what I saw and think Matt Smith was good in it.

bye bye david :(

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed