The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Mu nephew
    Mu nephew
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  K9 - The Series (Series 1) »  New K9 Series Trailer
     Next  Printable Version
    New K9 Series Trailer Views: 3560
     Saturday, April 04 2009 @ 06:29 PM EDT
    I don't know. I don't thnk it looks that bad! FOr once?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 04 2009 @ 08:02 PM EDT
    My seven-year-old saw the trailer and loved it. He much prefers this K-9 to the old Tin Dog. (But then, he hasn't seen much of that one -- he's averse enough to being scared that he's only wanted to see a few episodes, classic or current.)

I suspect this show will hit the spot for the young-'uns. I'm not interested in it at all, but I found the horrified online reactions so at odds to my own that I podcasted it. The Cliff Notes version: it's a kid show, and the Proper K-9 will still be part of the mainline Doctor Who universe, so why be bovvered?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 02:13 AM EDT
    For me (and no one else):

I don't like it!

There are too many changes to the K-9 that we all know and love. The ability to fly goes far "too far" in my opinion.

It's a kiddie show gone down to kindergaten level. How low can K-9 go? It's an insult to K-9"s intellligence.

At least give me something to hope for.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 01:45 PM EDT
    My son asked me today if I thought this version of K9 would appear in Dr Who.

I hope not!!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 04:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]I liked TNG, much as I like Torchwood...but SJA and now this...ugh. In all fairness I've never seen SJA, but just based on those trailers, and now this one, I really have no desire whatsoever to watch either.
    Well, I don't think this will be classed as a DW spinoff by any reasonable viewer. I doubt there'll be even a whiff of narrative commonality with the K9(s) of the Doctor's acquaintance. They didn't do a visual redesign on the character, after all, just to give the art department something to do; they weren't allowed to make this K9 look like his predecessors.
    I must, unfortunately, stand corrected. As was revealed to me on CIA today, the concept did radically change, and that change was announced last month. It is narratively connected to Doctor Who, if only during the pilot. Which is, in my view, sad and unnecessary. This is really quite completely different than the original series premise given to us back in 2006.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 05:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)] How low can K-9 go?
    Since you asked, here's a snippet from the newly posted series premise:
    [Quote  by:  Park Entertainment]. . . at that moment a portal opens and through the hole torn in the fabric of space/time burst two reptilian warrior JIXEN. The Jixen attack Starkey. The teenager is saved from certain death by a small dog-like robot, K9 Mark I, who follows the Jixen through the portal and places himself between the monsters and boy.

In the ensuing battle, the only way K9 can defeat the Jixen is to blow himself and them to pieces. One surviving Jixen limps out of the mansion. Before expiring, K9 is able to give instructions that allow Starkey to initiate a regeneration program. A new, more sophisticated and futuristically designed K9 is regenerated.
    In other words, a circumstance very similar to what happened to the Mark III in "School Reunion" happens to the Mark I. And yet the results are completely different. K9 had the ability to fly all along, and he never told anyone. The Mark I thus makes the Mark II, who was forever reaching the obvious limitations of his form, look like a frakkin' idiot.

Moreover, why are they screwing with something that could be used for potential continuity in Doctor Who proper? The Mark I, theoretically, could be used to impart important information from the Gallifrey-that-was, without necessarily reintroducing the planet. He could be a tantalizing breadcrumb, found out in the wilds of space by the 11th or 12th Doctors. But not if he's really this new, flying K9 caught on an Australian kids' program!

Seriously, when you consider all the series that could be based on some aspect of the Doctor Who mythology, this one now only slightly nudges out African Adventures with Dodo Chaplet and Ace's Poker Championships.

[In fairness to Park Entertainment, their Canadian kids' show, Grand Star seems like something totally worth looking into, kid or not.]

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, April 06 2009 @ 11:43 PM EDT
    okay, well, that synopsis sounds awful.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 07 2009 @ 01:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)] How low can K-9 go?
    Since you asked, here's a snippet from the newly posted series premise:
    [Quote  by:  Park Entertainment]. . . at that moment a portal opens and through the hole torn in the fabric of space/time burst two reptilian warrior JIXEN. The Jixen attack Starkey. The teenager is saved from certain death by a small dog-like robot, K9 Mark I, who follows the Jixen through the portal and places himself between the monsters and boy.

In the ensuing battle, the only way K9 can defeat the Jixen is to blow himself and them to pieces. One surviving Jixen limps out of the mansion. Before expiring, K9 is able to give instructions that allow Starkey to initiate a regeneration program. A new, more sophisticated and futuristically designed K9 is regenerated.
    In other words, a circumstance very similar to what happened to the Mark III in "School Reunion" happens to the Mark I. And yet the results are completely different. K9 had the ability to fly all along, and he never told anyone. The Mark I thus makes the Mark II, who was forever reaching the obvious limitations of his form, look like a frakkin' idiot.

Moreover, why are they screwing with something that could be used for potential continuity in Doctor Who proper? The Mark I, theoretically, could be used to impart important information from the Gallifrey-that-was, without necessarily reintroducing the planet. He could be a tantalizing breadcrumb, found out in the wilds of space by the 11th or 12th Doctors. But not if he's really this new, flying K9 caught on an Australian kids' program!

Seriously, when you consider all the series that could be based on some aspect of the Doctor Who mythology, this one now only slightly nudges out African Adventures with Dodo Chaplet and Ace's Poker Championships.

[In fairness to Park Entertainment, their Canadian kids' show, Grand Star seems like something totally worth looking into, kid or not.]

ONE WORD OPINION: OUCH!

BTW: Wasn't Mark I left with Leela in "The Invasion of Time". How did it get here? I would have assumed that he would have been destroyed in the "Time War".

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 16 2009 @ 10:06 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)]
    BTW: Wasn't Mark I left with Leela in "The Invasion of Time". How did it get here? I would have assumed that he would have been destroyed in the "Time War".

Thats the impression that I had as well.
    But I am not looking at this show as DW cannon. So I guess that they can call this K9, Mark I.

And after watching this trailer I really agree with those that are comparing it to SJA. This trailer just left a weird taste in my mouth. Just seems more 'kiddie adventures' than anything else.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 04 2009 @ 05:55 PM EDT
    By the way, finally found the original Park Entertainment description of the show from like two years ago. How much better does this sound:
    [Quote  by: Park Entertainment (original announcement)]
    K9 is a highly refined robot in the guise and personality of a dog! However - K9 is nobody’s pet - he is a highly intelligent creature created from a form of ‘living metal’ and when we first meet this fantastic robot he is guarding an abandoned prison transportation craft.

It is the arrival of Slocum, the Captain of the run down spacecraft ‘The Platte’ and his side kick, the hologram Djin, who in their attempts to salvage junk in space board this dangerous transporter and make a discovery that will change their lives forever. They discover K9 and two young people...Kudra, a teenage girl of mixed race being the daughter of a human, and an alien and earthling A.D, a computer whiz kid with a light fingered approach to survival. They are all rescued by Slocum and Djin and together form an odd ball family group that live aboard ‘The Platte’ and share a series of outrageous adventures within the exciting science fiction world these characters inhabit.

Throughout K9’s adventures (and there are many) he follows his own personal quest to discover his origins which is something of a blank page to him.
    Seriously. That's a cool show. What we appear to be getting? Not so much.

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 10:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] By the way, finally found the original Park Entertainment description of the show from like two years ago. How much better does this sound:
    [Quote  by: Park Entertainment (original announcement)]
    K9 is a highly refined robot in the guise and personality of a dog! However - K9 is nobody’s pet - he is a highly intelligent creature created from a form of ‘living metal’ and when we first meet this fantastic robot he is guarding an abandoned prison transportation craft.

It is the arrival of Slocum, the Captain of the run down spacecraft ‘The Platte’ and his side kick, the hologram Djin, who in their attempts to salvage junk in space board this dangerous transporter and make a discovery that will change their lives forever. They discover K9 and two young people...Kudra, a teenage girl of mixed race being the daughter of a human, and an alien and earthling A.D, a computer whiz kid with a light fingered approach to survival. They are all rescued by Slocum and Djin and together form an odd ball family group that live aboard ‘The Platte’ and share a series of outrageous adventures within the exciting science fiction world these characters inhabit.

Throughout K9’s adventures (and there are many) he follows his own personal quest to discover his origins which is something of a blank page to him.
    Seriously. That's a cool show. What we appear to be getting? Not so much.

That does sound much better than what it looks like we're getting. To bad it looks like we're getting the version from the video clip. They could use the "living metal" aspect to have K-9 repair himself without outside help.

As to the origins part - I guess something damaged him and he forgot that he was created by Professor Marius (see "The Invisible Enemy" for the info (Professor Marius talks about how he made him)), that would explain the search for his origins.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored