The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    High School Who Locker
    High School Who Locker
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Patrick Troughton Era »  Disappointed by Troughton?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Disappointed by Troughton? Views: 1795
     Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 10:00 PM EDT
    Many fans outside the UK had to wait a very long time to see any Troughton at all, aside from his stints in multi-Doctor stories. Some are only just now discovering Troughton on DVD. If you're in this group, have you been at all disappointed by what you've managed to see? Conventional wisdom, as manifested regularly in polls done around the web, has it that he's almost universally (and soundly) appreciated for his efforts. So I wonder whether anyone has found him to be a "just okay" to "firmly subpar" kind of Doctor? Is his generally good press overrated, in your opinion?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 11:00 PM EDT
    Never underestimate the contribution of PT to Doctor Who.

The series could have floundered after Hartnell but Troughton brought a new aspect to the Doctors personality and some new life.

I have the benefit of growing up watching this Doctor and have seen many of the missing episodes (although I remember little of them now) and his era was about the time when Doctor Who became compulsive viewing. He captured more than most Doctors the spirit of the age with his beatles style haircut and generally easier going persona. Much of what we associate with the Doctor was born in his era; the slightly strange clothing, the eccentricity and the slightly more permanent and regognisable companions. I can remember as a young child living in London and watching the Yeti inhabiting the tubes (underground rail) and it was very disturbing to me. It is often forgotten that Troughton was a magnificent Doctor.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 11:59 PM EDT
    Point well taken, but such is the conventional wisdom about Troughton. I was wondering whether there might be some who have problems enjoying his characterization or era.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Friday, August 11 2006 @ 04:36 PM EDT
    I have personally not heard of any but it is difficult for many to judge as most of the episodes have been wiped

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Saturday, September 16 2006 @ 09:36 PM EDT
    I thought Troughton defined the future path of Doctor Who. We've all heard the story that the BBC wanted him to wear a white wig at first. I'm glad they didn't stick to that decision.

My local PBS station started showing all the existing Troughton stories around 1989. I don't think there's an existing Troughton story that I don't like, save for maybe "The Dominators." And even that one isn't all that bad. It's just slow paced.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, September 16 2006 @ 11:08 PM EDT
    Considering all the other incarnations, Troughton is one of my least favorite Doctors. I enjoyed many of his episodes, but always found his panicked (perhaps nervous is a better word) portrayal of the character a bit difficult to stomach and disliked the, "Keystone Cops" style, running about that was often part of his episodes.

He was just a bit too silly and child-like for my taste. That said, there is no doubt that he contributed much to the foundation of the series, along with William Hartnell. After all, he did keep the series alive long enough for us to experience the genius of Pertwee's Doctor. That alone is worth something.

Shoggoth (Dave)

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Sunday, February 25 2007 @ 04:36 PM EST
    no i like patrick troughtan.

i didn't like him at first but after awhile i liked him.

and i love his hair.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 25 2007 @ 08:45 PM EST

The problem is that most of the worst of the Troughton era has survived while much of the best stuff is lost. Now, this is a generalization, but the Dalek classics of season four are amongst some of the best treatments of the Daleks ever, and Troughton is just brilliant in Power of the Daleks as the newly regenerated Doctor. And Fury from the Deep is my ideal Doctor Who story.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, February 25 2007 @ 09:13 PM EST
    I have to say that I've only seen a few Troughton episodes.

I just watched "The Invasion" which was quite good, but yes, there were parts that I didn't like, and they were Troughton moments. One was when he was running down an alley away from Cybermen.

Explosions were hitting near him and he was holding his butt and screaming like Goofy does in Disney cartoons.

And some of his constant whining at Jamie is also very very irritating.

Still, those are just moments from some good episodes. Other times he's quite serious and not the "Three Stooges Rolled Into One" that they apparently tried to make him look like.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, March 02 2007 @ 07:14 PM EST
    I guess it's horses for courses, because I think Patrick Troughton is simply brilliant. I couldnt ever choose a favourite, but if I did it would be between Doctors 2, 3 & 4.

The Invasion is amongst my top 5 all-time Who stories (and as a big fan of animation that feeling has only been enhanced by recent events), and Tomb Of The Cybermen is by some distance my favourite Dr Who audio story (I'm not one of the people who believe its TV discovery blew away the myths and turned it into an overnight disaster, but I accept it's a story that works better in your head).

Fury From The Deep is full on 10/10 creepy classic, as is The Mind Robber. Although it seems to have more critics than fans, Macra Terror is wonderfully bizarre.

Back before CDs and when BBC used to release missing stuff on cassettes, I played all of the PT stories over and over (off the top of my head, there are 5 which I can recall). I love them all.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 01 2007 @ 06:09 PM EDT
    Darth, I was just wondering what's your personal opinion of Troughton's characterization and portrayal of the Doctor? I've heard many complaints (some are certainly understandable) regarding the storyline and pacing of the existing episodes starring Troughton, but rarely complaints regarding Troughton's own performance.

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 11:19 PM EDT
    For me, Patrick Troughton is one of my all time favorite Doctors. Those being (in no particular order since it does switch between these 3 from time to time) Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, and Peter Davison. The Invasion is easily one of my all time favorite Doctor Who stories with Tobias Vauhn being one of the best acted villains in the shows history, as is Fury From The Deep and The Power of the Daleks. The chemistry between Troughton's Doctor and Jamie is absolutely brilliant and for me is one of the single best Doctor/Companion relationships in the shows history.
    Troughton's era also saw not a single contemporary companion join the TARDIS crew outside of those already travelling being Ben and Polly. I love this since not only can no other Doctor claim to have no contemporary companion join (even though Tom Baker and Peter Davison came close), but that I always thought it added to the stories. Its about time travel, we can relate to the characters enough by the fact that they are human (or close enough to it anyways), they don't need to be from our time period too!
    War Games is for me one of the single best regeneration stories as well, with only Caves of Androzani coming off as possibly a stronger story.
    For these and many other reasons, I feel that Patrick Troughton is absolutely fantastic and certainly worth a chance for anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to get to see much of his work.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 16 2007 @ 12:29 AM EDT

re.: Tobias Vaugh I felt that Kevin Stoney played two of the most memorable villians in the black and white era of Doctor Who, if not of all time. It is unfortunate that the two stories, both of which were of extremely long duration, even for their eras, have episodes missing from the archives. I felt that Mavic Chen in The Daleks' Master Plan and Tobias Vaugh in The Invaision, both played by Stoney, were perfect foils for the Doctor they faced off against. Before the Master took over in the color era as the Moriarty to the Doctor's Holmes, I feel that these two characters came closest to that role for Hartnell and Troughton. Sure each of those Doctors had their share of monsters, but no villians approach these two. Each was multi-dimensional, though both were working for others to betray Earth/humanity. Each had their own adgenda. And Kevin Stoney had a way of underplaying his lines that made them even more sinister. What survives of these stories is a joy to experience.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, December 17 2007 @ 06:00 PM EST
    I have to say that he is the first Doctor I recall. I seem only to remember the hat and the recorder from that time but I am pleased I do remember that. I do seem to recall an amiable familiarity. I may not have quite understood but he was part of that time for me.

I suspect that my father was a fan and so it is his fault..

When I was a child our Saturdays revolved around Doctor Who as to miss it was a crime against 'God'. The whole family would sit and watch, with the kids trying not to show fear. Beans on toast or cheese on toast being the food of choice.

I remember the 3rd to 4th Doctor's regeneration vividly. It was such a big deal for me at the time. I was so pained at his sacrifice (as such).

I for one would not be who I am without such a role model.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored