The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Tardis Standee 2
    Tardis Standee 2
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Jon Pertwee Era »  Time Warrior DVD
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Time Warrior DVD Views: 1329
     Thursday, September 20 2007 @ 04:55 AM EDT
    I havent seen this story since it was first broadcast. Which is a long time ago, but I can remember it really well & for several reasons. It took me back to when I was much younger & it was love at first sight with Sarah Jane. Not only is it Sarah Jane's first story but the first sighting of Sontaran's ! This is a great story, great acting & wonderful sets. Also a chance to see June Brown, Dot Cotton from Eastenders, with a very cut glass, posh BBC voice. They only thing that is a let down is the special effects, but luckily this DVD gives you the chance to watch the story with new CGI effects. This really enhances the story, espically the explosion at the end. Really intersting "Making of" documentary as well filmed at the castle where the original story was filmed. Highly recomended. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, November 10 2007 @ 10:04 PM EST
    It was interesting to note that the new "Time-Flight" DVD featured this one in its "previews of coming attractions."

This one was never one of my favorites from the Pertwee years. I know it is significant in that it introduces the Sontarans but I wish they'd put out "Planet of the Spiders"

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 23 2008 @ 09:04 PM EDT
    I oicked up my R-1 copy of this one finally. I always wait until I get 25-30% off coupons from Barnes & Noble or Borders before I buy one.

The CGI effects are done very well and it really adds something a little more tangible to the story, which has never been among my Top 10 favorites...but it definitely better than many. The documentary was rather interesting because everyone was talking about Pertwee's final season as well as the final seasons for Barry Letts and Terrance Di-cks (it's tough to have a last name that is often censored). This was a nice package overall and a good addition to my collection.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 30 2008 @ 07:25 AM EDT
    DVD Talk has a review of the Time Warrior DVD available here...

Doctor Who - The Time Warrior

Previously available only in non-episodic form with apparently some footage cut, Doctor Who - The Time Warrior has been further enhanced by the addition of a smattering of new, and optional, CGI effects. Unlike the major restorations and enhanced editions done on other Doctor Who stories, the work here hardly seems worth the effort while the extra features, though plentiful, are similarly uninspired and not all that interesting. Fortunately this four-part story, which first aired December 1973-January 1974 and features "Third Doctor" Jon Pertwee, boasts some clever writing and is something of a landmark for several reasons.

This 11th season, 70th Doctor Who story introduces the Sontarans, a warrior race comparable to Star Trek's Romulans, though stranded Sontaran warrior Linx (Kevin Lindsay) looks more like a suntanned Humpty Dumpty, a big Egg Man well past his expiration date. The story is also notable for introducing the most enduring of the Doctor's many "companions," plucky journalist Sarah Jane Smith (played to this day by Elisabeth Sladen).

His rogue time-traveling spaceship stranded in the Middle Ages, Linx uses an Osmic Projector to kidnap 20th century scientists, pulling them back into the distant past, forcing them through hypnosis to repair his ship. All this takes place in the bowels of a castle occupied by brigand Irongron (David Daker); believing Linx to be some sort of wizard, Irongron makes a pact with Linx. He provides the alien shelter in exchange for magical weapons: anachronistic rifles and robot knights.

Investigating all this is The Doctor, shocked by Linx's reckless manipulation of time and his premature introduction of advanced weaponry. After a quick briefing by UNIT's Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart (Nicholas Courtney), the Doctor is off in his T.A.R.D.I.S., unaware that Sarah Jane Smith, pretending to be her scientist-aunt, has snuck aboard.

When Doctor Who first began airing in 1963, the idea was to do an equal number of historical stories, with early episodes about Marco Polo, the Aztecs, and the French Revolution. Many of these early shows were just marvelous, but ratings were low for these episodes compared to those featuring aliens terrorizing present-day Earth and shows set on other planets. "The Time Warrior," the first "historical" in a long time, cleverly solves this problem by pairing an alien warrior with advanced technology with Middle Age warrior-bandits.

Even better, teleplay writer Robert Holmes has a marvelous ear for period dialogue. Indeed, the best thing about "The Time Warrior" is the bemused reactions of characters like Irongron to these strange visitors from other planets and times. Current Doctor Who producer-writer Russell T. Davies counts himself among the later writer's fans: "Take 'The Talons of Weng Chiang,' for example. Watch episode one. It's the best dialogue ever written. It's up there with Dennis Potter. By a man called Robert Holmes. When the history of television drama comes to be written, Robert Holmes won't be remembered at all because he only wrote genre stuff."

David Daker's performance especially puts over Holmes' dialogue. As rightly pointed out by others in the DVD's making-of documentary, Daker really commits to the character: he plays it completely straight without any eye-winking at the audience and as such comes off as completely believable. The role was originally offered to Bob Hoskins who couldn't accept it but recommended Daker; it's difficult to imagine even as great an actor as Hoskins doing it any better. June Brown and Jeremy Bulloch - as Lady Eleanor (whose nearby castle is threatened by Irongron) and her trusted archer Hal - likewise give fine performances.

Similarly, Sladen comes off well in her debut outing as Sarah Jane Smith. The show's producers were looking for a more assertive female character, and Sladen acclimates herself well to the role while Sarah Jane does same thrust into a strange new environment.

Video & Audio

"The Time Warrior" is presented in its original full-frame format, the usual mix of videotape (for studio interiors) and 16mm color film (for location exteriors), all on a single-sided DVD9. I'm told the Doctor Who Restoration Team did a lot of work on this title; I suppose the best compliment I can make is that I found nothing in it distracting - no negative dirt, visible splices, etc. Some British 16mm film jobs can get awfully grainy while others almost make you forget your looking at a much smaller film gauge than we Americans are used to; "The Time Warrior" looks like 16mm, but good 16. The transitions between the film and video are likewise less jarring than is sometimes the case.

The mono sound on all four shows is adequate. Optional English subtitles are available, including on all the extra features.

Extra Features

Beginning of the End is a behind-the-scenes featurette looking at the story's production and placing it into the context of the long-running series, particularly as the start of Pertwee's final season as The Doctor, concurrent with the departure of several other key personnel. Producers Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts, designer Keith Cheetham, and actors Elisabeth Sladen, Donald Pelmear, and Jeremy Bulloch are among the interviewees. It's an okay piece though much of this ground was covered better before, such as the featurette accompanying The Sontaran Experient.

Sladen, Letts, and Dicks are on hand for the usual fun if exhaustive audio commentary, which can be listened to in conjunction with Information Text which appear like subtitles and provide gobs of background on both the series and this particular episode.

Continuity Compilation are basically BBC announcements for episode airings, while the optional CGI effects, 16 in all, are accessible only through a relatively complex route through to the special features section. It would seem to make more sense to author this option as one selects to play a particular episode.

Additional extras include an extensive photo gallery and PDF DVD-ROM features: a Doctor Who Annual and Radio Times Listings.

Parting Thoughts

"The Time Warrior" is a strong episode from the show's own Middle Ages, a simpler time both in terms of its setting and the charming comparative simplicity of the production coupled with some fine writing and performances. Unlike other recent Doctor Who DVDs, the extras aren't as much of a selling point, but as a story it's just fine. Recommended.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 30 2008 @ 08:58 PM EDT
    I was home with my sick boy yesterday and got the chance to watch all four episodes. Wow! I loved it. What a blast! It's no secret that I love Pertwee, but most of that is based on childhood memories. So seeing this and other dvds over the past couple of years have been quite a good time for me. But this one, especially, really got me enthused for him all over again. Lots of great humor, Pertwee doing his fabulous action stuff, Sarah Jane. What more do you want?

I love the authority Pertwee brings to the part, even as I know others get turned off by this same quality. He just IS the Doctor -- just like the song says.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 08:31 AM EDT

Although I do have this on an old video home recording - I bought this DVD today and looking forward to watching it over the weekend.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored