The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sylvester McCoy pondering a query
    Sylvester McCoy pondering a query
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Jon Pertwee Era »  Colour recovery process
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Colour recovery process Views: 3454
     Thursday, December 11 2008 @ 09:50 AM EST
    Here's something to tentatively get excited about.

As people in the UK probably already know, an episode of the sitcom Dad's Army originally shown in colour but now only available as a black and white film print has had it's colour restored using some newly developed software and will be airing this Saturday in colour for the first time in nearly 40 years.

This is NOT colorization it is colour recovery so the result is the original colour not a "best guess" at what the colours might have been which is what you get from colorization.

The colour information is extracted from chroma dots recorded on to the b/w film prints.
    Some more details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/12_december/09/dadsarmy.shtml
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/11/digital-video-restoration-dad-s-army

Anyway, this is obviously very exciting for the Jon Pertwee era of Who which currently has several episodes only existing as b/w film recordings.

Please note the process only works if the chroma dots were recorded in the first place and I understand it's already known this is not the case for Mind of Evil episode 1 but let's be hopeful that we're luckier with the rest of the Pertwee episodes.

In any case even if it turns out it can't be applied to any episdoes of Doctor Who it's still a fantastic process which has exciting prospects for a huge amount of British TV in the archives.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM EST
    That would be great Exclaimation

We can finally see the first episode of "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" in color after all this time, plus all thoses other episodes from the John Pertwee era that were done in color that now only exist in B/W.

The show started color with the first Jon Pertwee story "Spearhead From Space" and every story since then. It would be nice to see "The Ambassadors of Death" completely in color, instead of a mixture of color and B/W. (When the color segment was missing they spliced in a B/W piece to fill in the missing section to complete the story.)

This promises good things for the classic shows.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 12 2008 @ 09:08 AM EST
    I know this is inevitable, and that if it's at all possible to restore the color, the Restoration Team will opt to do that over releasing stories in a monochrome/color mix. And as a fan of the goals of restoration, I notionally support it.

But B&W Pertwee looks so COOL. I've gotten used to some Pertwee being monochrome. Not only do I want them to release the monochrome episodes as is, I want them to clean up the video, then monochrome entire serials. "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" plays way better in B&W. I can't even imagine "Mind of Evil" in color; it's perfectly appropriate to the Cold War, 1960s vibe for it to be monochrome, just as with "Ambassadors of Death".

Thank God consumers can manually control color on playback!

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, December 12 2008 @ 09:56 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I know this is inevitable, and that if it's at all possible to restore the color, the Restoration Team will opt to do that over releasing stories in a monochrome/color mix. And as a fan of the goals of restoration, I notionally support it.

But B&W Pertwee looks so COOL. I've gotten used to some Pertwee being monochrome. Not only do I want them to release the monochrome episodes as is, I want them to clean up the video, then monochrome entire serials. "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" plays way better in B&W. I can't even imagine "Mind of Evil" in color; it's perfectly appropriate to the Cold War, 1960s vibe for it to be monochrome, just as with "Ambassadors of Death".

Thank God consumers can manually control color on playback!

Sorry but I am really looking forward to seeing Pertwee Who as I remember it, in bright shiny colour. We were one of the first houses on our street to get colour TV & my earliest memories of Dr Who are the third Doctor story's in full glorious colour. Roll on all of "Planet of the Daleks in full colour. As a big fan of "Dad's Army" I am looking forward to seeing tomorrow's episode. I see it is preceded by a programme called "Missing Presumed Wiped" which will hopefully have some Dr Who content.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 12 2008 @ 12:03 PM EST
    There was an item about the process on Newsnight last night. It briefly mentions Doctor Who as this is what inspired the creation of the process in the first place.
    You can view the Newsnight report here.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 12 2008 @ 12:57 PM EST
    If I recall, there are some Pertwee stories that don't have the necessary chroma-dots in the films to recover the color. We might still have some incomplete color stories or stories with a colorized episode or two.

Maybe someone in the forum has a list they can post of which ones have that information in the film recordings.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 07 2009 @ 05:06 PM EST
    Well, it's now known that the colour recovery process has been applied to Planet of the Daleks episode 3 and been combined with traditional colorization techniques to get the best of both processes.

As I mentioned in another thread the restored Planet of the Daleks is scheduled for DVD release in the UK some time in late 2009/early 2010, packaged alongside Frontier in Space.
    Read more about the technical aspects of the colour recovery process and see screen captures here.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 27 2009 @ 01:35 PM EDT
    Steve Roberts of the Restoration Team has just posted this still from The Mind of Evil which currently only exists as black and white telerecordings but is now having Colour Recovery applied.

The image was posted in a discussion about colour recovery on The Mind of Evil at Roobarb's DVD forum
    (you need to be a member to view this forum)

Bear in mind that the DVDs are worked on often a year or more in advance of release so don't expect a DVD being announced for quite a while yet.

Also it's worth noting as I said in an earlier post above, The Mind of Evil episode 1 doesn't have any colour subcarrier information recorded onto the film (the image above is from episode 2) and it's not yet been stated how it will be presented.
    It could be left as black and white or be computer colorized in the traditional manner (rather than having actual colour information recovered).

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 27 2009 @ 04:58 PM EDT
    Wow this is very exciting. Really looking forward to seeing Mind of Evil in colour. Eek! Eek! Eek!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored