The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who & the Dalek
    Doctor Who & the Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Jon Pertwee Era »  Spearhead From Space
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Spearhead From Space Views: 2222
     Saturday, November 04 2006 @ 02:24 PM EST
    Posted on Digital Spy Cult Forum by 'mikevaughan' BBC 4 (in UK) will be showing 'Spearhead From Space' most likely in two longer parts (was 4 episodes) starting on Monday 13th Nov - 7:10 to 8:00 pm.

Not sure if the second part is no the following night - but before they have done that ie. two nights in a row.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, November 04 2006 @ 06:53 PM EST
    Ah, a classic episode. Witness the birth of Pertwee's wardrobe! Witness an entire story shot on film! Witness killer manequins!

Heath Holland

Sunday, November 05 2006 @ 01:59 AM EST

Witness the Doctor's tattoo. Witness the first regeneration disorientation... witness the Doctor's lost shoes... Witness the first Doctor Who televised story shot in colour. Witness the predecessor of Bessie. Witness a part of television history!

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 03:51 AM EST
    I witnessed it! My first 3rd doctor adventure, not including the Five Doctors. I admit, I did laugh a bit at the start, with a yokel poacher and some very stiff acting from those two people in the radar room. Once it got going (once the Brigadier arrived, more or less) it got a lot more interesting.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 07:25 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Ersby] I witnessed it! My first 3rd doctor adventure, not including the Five Doctors. I admit, I did laugh a bit at the start, with a yokel poacher and some very stiff acting from those two people in the radar room. Once it got going (once the Brigadier arrived, more or less) it got a lot more interesting.

What did you think of Liz Shaw as she is introduced as a scientist in her own right?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 07:37 AM EST
    I absolutely adore Liz Shaw.

I think she's the most underrated companion in the entire series. It's a damn shame Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts were such obvious chauvinist pigs. Strong lannguage, but it's, I feel, quite fair comment. She could've been used so incredibly well, based upon her fabulous entrance in "Spearhead", but all they could see her for were her stereotypes. It was their job to breathe life into the character--by giving her a point of view distinct from both the Brig and the Doctor--but instead they threw their hands up and said, "It's too hard to write someone who was the Doctor's equal."

I actually think her introduction was the most promising of any companion, bar the original three, Jamie and Romana I. Speaking of Mary Tamm, she gives an obvious lie to the Letts/Dicks party line that Shaw needed to be axed because she was the Doctor's equal. Romana was the Doctor's equal and she worked just fine.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 10:52 AM EST
    I liked Liz Shaw from the beginning. The chauvanistic thing is only to be expected, in that day and age. In the scene with all the tubes and flasks and test tubes it would've been entirely realistic if one of the men had said "That's a lot of equipment just to make a cup of tea, love" and then laugh at his own joke.

I'm reading an old Patrick Troughton adventure at the moment (the one with the Cybermen on the moon) and Polly doesn't seem to do much at all. Liz seems to be a tentative step forward in that respect.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 04:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Ersby] I liked Liz Shaw from the beginning. The chauvanistic thing is only to be expected, in that day and age.
    I don't accept that. After all, whom did Liz replace? Another female scientist who regularly put the Doctor in his place. Barbara, though not on the same intellectual plane as the Doctor, regularly stood up to him, and was a fully mature woman. And nobody ever said of Zöe, "Oh, she's too smart to be an effective companion", or that Barbara was too "old" for the Doctor.

Letts, Pertwee and Dicks were, on this issue, unimaginative pigs, who were not just out of step with the primary generation watching DW, but with the legacy of DW to that point.

I think the "Liz incident" also proves that Dicks was an inferior writer to Robert Holmes. Holmes served up an intriguing starting point for a character. Dicks was so completely unable to capitalize on that he simply gave up on the character altogether.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 05:17 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]It was their job to breathe life into the character--by giving her a point of view distinct from both the Brig and the Doctor--but instead they threw their hands up and said, "It's too hard to write someone who was the Doctor's equal."

Is that really true?! Eek! I liked Liz Shaw too but have only seen her in Spearhed from Space and Inferno (giving an interesting look at how she changed between both ends of her short tenure with the show).

It seems rather anachronistic of them to say they found it so hard to write a strong role for women in Doctor Who considering they both started on The Avengers - a show globally noted for it's strong female leading roles.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 10:09 AM EST
    Well, I don't know what happened before, nor what happened after. I can only comment on what I saw from the first two episodes, and there didn't seem to be anything particularly unsatisfying about her character. But I'm just speaking as a third doctor newbie, here.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 14 2007 @ 10:45 PM EST
    This story is being show late tonight on BBC Kids in Canada. I watched it last summer when I was waking up regularly at 5 AM to watch episodes, but I might stay up until 2 tonight to tape it for my little one. I love that it is all on film!

-Sean

Tuesday, February 20 2007 @ 12:48 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]It was their job to breathe life into the character--by giving her a point of view distinct from both the Brig and the Doctor--but instead they threw their hands up and said, "It's too hard to write someone who was the Doctor's equal."

Is that really true?! Eek! I liked Liz Shaw too but have only seen her in Spearhed from Space and Inferno (giving an interesting look at how she changed between both ends of her short tenure with the show).

It seems rather anachronistic of them to say they found it so hard to write a strong role for women in Doctor Who considering they both started on The Avengers - a show globally noted for it's strong female leading roles.
    Sorry, I just now saw this question. But yeah, I think it's true. On several DVD interviews, Letts and Dicks make pointed reference to the "unsuitability" of Liz Shaw, and their timbre comes across (to me, at least) as something approaching disdain for the character.

Letts goes (I think) out of his way to point out on "The Unit Family, Part One" (included with "Inferno") that Liz was a character decided and cast before he arrived: "It was already decided before I joined that the Doctor's assist . . . assistant, if you can call it that—hardly, companion—Doctor Liz Shaw would be a member of UNIT."

He goes on to claim that he decided "very, very soon" to replace the character because the kinds of conversations that Liz would have with the Doctor, since the two characters were on an intellectual par, did little to explain situations to the audience.

Caroline John claims that in "The Silurians" the production team wanted her to wear a mini skirt and go-go boots to go down into the caves that were central to the story's plot. It was only the intervention of Pertwee which allowed her to go in attire that was actually suitable.

Later, John said that she got no real explanation as to why she was being replaced, but instead had to read in Doctor Who Magazine that Letts thought Liz was "too clever by half".

Speaking on John's dismissal, Dicks said, "Caroline John is a fine actress, but basically she's a serious actress, y'know, she needs a proper part. And being the Doctor's companion is not a very good part for a girl, because she has to hang around and be rescued by the Doctor . . . The show is the Doctor, you see, he's the center of everything and everyone else is a satellite."

I've heard other interviews with Dicks and Letts where they've spoken on Liz directly, or the general notion of what makes a "good" companion. None of them do much to alter the impression given here, though. These quotes I think do enough to paint what is (again, to me) a very clear picture of the kind of men-in-power that fomented the women's liberation movement. They had a very traditionalist view of male-female workplace traditions which they were trying to pass off as core Doctor Who values, despite the fact that tradition in black and white Doctor Who had been for a wide cross-section of women, as well as a number of whole episodes that were driven by the actions of the companions, not the Doctor.

Letts and Dicks were reasonable stewards of a concept, but they weren't, aside from Letts' admirable work in pushing the technical boundaries of the program, what could be called "innovators". Even though they are responsible for giving us Sarah Jane, interviews about that casting, especially with Dicks, make her character type seem like something that was foisted on to them "by the times", rather than a direction that Dicks really wanted to take.

Bottom line: they willingly perpetuated what was, by modern standards, a really quite willingly sexist view of Doctor Who, and seem unapologetic about it to this day. Now, perhaps they aren't generally sexist, but at least inasmuch as their Doctor Who work is concerned, their "Unit Family" was one that would end up in civil rights litigation today.

Tuesday, February 20 2007 @ 05:15 PM EST
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Shaw_(Doctor_Who)

Check out the bottom section for info on what happened to her character. It's interesting that she got her own video series P.R.O.B.E. (I think I've only seen 2 of them) Someone at the BBC must have like her.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 20 2007 @ 06:06 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Milamber]It's interesting that she got her own video series P.R.O.B.E. (I think I've only seen 2 of them) Someone at the BBC must have like her.

It wasn't the BBC, but BBV. These productions had little, if anything, to do with the BBC.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 01:52 AM EST
    having recently begun working my way through the pertwee era again i have to say liz was a great companion and the producers were so very wrong to get rid. i feel sorry for her that she never even got to travel in the TARDIS, in fact did she even get to go inside it?

Such a beautiful thing is always good that it is fascinating. However, a good thing is beautiful always.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored