The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Peter Davison Era »  Planet of Fire?
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of Fire? Views: 2752
     Tuesday, January 03 2006 @ 10:20 PM EST
    Does anyone know if The Planet of Fire is coming out on DVD for Region 1 anytime soon? Or if not, any ideas on how I can see this episode?

Thanks.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 03 2006 @ 11:42 PM EST
    EDIT: Link removed—Taras

You didn't hear it from me....

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 01:20 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] Does anyone know if The Planet of Fire is coming out on DVD for Region 1 anytime soon? Or if not, any ideas on how I can see this episode?

Thanks.

I haven't heard of anything yet. We will be sure to announce it on Doctor Who: Podshock when we do have any word on this DVD as well as any other Doctor Who DVD scheduled release.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 12:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] Does anyone know if The Planet of Fire is coming out on DVD for Region 1 anytime soon? Or if not, any ideas on how I can see this episode?

One can usually find the old VHS tapes on Ebay for a reasonable price. The used dealers on Amazon are too expensive, even for my tastes... Confused

Unless you can find a group in your area that watches episodes, or a library/TV museum that has a decent video collection, that is your best bet until the Restoration Team gets around to this episode.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 02:23 PM EST
    If you in the area, its at the New York Library. I haven’t even heard of this title in the pipeline. Usually we get a hint at what we might expect as actors usually leak the info and announce way ahead of time that they did a commentary (Lalla Ward for State of Decay, and Katy Manning for Sea Devils). Genesis of the Daleks and Inferno seem to be in the pipeline as Roadshow Home Video seemed to spill the beans on them accidentally. That’s puts the DW release schedule well into June.

When the DVD’s first started coming out, I could forgive the BBC for their slow release schedule, what with DVD being a new format and Doctor Who being a ‘cult’ show at the time. But this is 2006, Doctor Who is a hot property and DVD is well past its maturity stage. The Beep Worldwide needs to seriously take a look at its release policy.

I think it was mentioned (maybe on a Podshock) that the DVDs are released as Restoration Team finishes them. Steve Roberts said back in an article in 2002 and on their own forum, that the Restoration Team works to the BBC schedule and not the other way around and strongly hinted (without trying to step on Worldwide’s toes) that they would love to up the output schedule. That was back in 2002, I’m sure they’ve perfected the restoration process well since then and sales of old Doctor Who serials must have substantially increased with the new series enough for the BBC to allocated a larger budget to the team.

Apparently the American arm of Worldwide wanted to release more, as was hinted back in 2001 or so when they were planning (but forced to cancel) a ‘vanilla’ release of Attack of the Cyberman simultaneously with the VHS release; they were forced to cancel. Later they went ahead and released Key to Time in R1 only. The BBC were not happy about that and apparently such a R1 only release will never happen again.

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 03:53 PM EST
    DSCFord, thank you for the feedback. It's been extremely frustrating seeing full series like Cheers and The Dukes of Hazzard being released on DVD, but it's taking years for Doctor Who episodes to be released.

With Netflix, I've been able to just queue up whatever series I want and then see the whole thing at one time. But with Doctor Who, the selections as to what they have to offer are extremely thin. It's been nearly 20 years since I've seen some of the classic Doctor Who episodes and I'd love to be able see some of the old ones again.

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 04:55 PM EST
    Yes, I’m afraid the methods you use to enjoy other shows never quite work the same way with Doctor Who. No NetFlix easypass here; you will just have to go out, and hunt them down individually. It can be expensive being a Doctor Who fan in the states (Big Finish taught me that!).

I don’t mind them releasing the stores a steady, if slowed, pace to prepare the extras and stuff (i.e. I patiently wait for the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles) But by 2010, I would EXPECT that all existing Doctor Who stories would be out. But at this rate, by 2010 we will only have about 25-30 additional stores – now that is ludicrous! Truth is, it all comes down to the fact that decision making at the BBC is as slow as molasses as it is just an old-style structure beaurocratic system. Doctor Who, and the modern British television formula would not exist if Sydney Newman had not gone over in the early ‘60s from Canada and shake the BBC down to its very foundations to get things moving. But that’s another story…and one we will hopefully see very soon on DVD. Wink

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 07:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DSCFord]When the DVD’s first started coming out, I could forgive the BBC for their slow release schedule, what with DVD being a new format and Doctor Who being a ‘cult’ show at the time. But this is 2006, Doctor Who is a hot property and DVD is well past its maturity stage. The Beep Worldwide needs to seriously take a look at its release policy.

One of the bottlenecks is that most of the stories are in no condition to be mastered to a DVD release, much less a VHS release. There is a group of people, the Restoration Team, that as a labour of love for the series, restore the source material and develop extras by creating new content (commentaries/interviews) and by searching for relevant existing content, to add value to the release. But in addition to them and the BBC, we also have to deal with the distributers and the contracts that they have with the Beeb and with them trying to maximise their profits, while minimising their outlays...

Now, it is the new series that is a hot property. I do not know how the numbers compare, but I would think that the Series One discs out sell the recent classic releases by a wide margin. I could be wrong, but I feel this is the case.

On a side note, I am happy that at least the End of the Universe Collection came out in VHS, as now I have a complete collection of all the VHS releases (somehow I had missed Pyramids of Mars until recently).

The only question: will I ever watch The Gunfighters again? I saw it on a broadcast oh so many years ago on a local PBS station, but do I want to rekindle those memories?

Taras

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 10:20 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  DSCFord]When the DVD’s first started coming out, I could forgive the BBC for their slow release schedule, what with DVD being a new format and Doctor Who being a ‘cult’ show at the time. But this is 2006, Doctor Who is a hot property and DVD is well past its maturity stage. The Beep Worldwide needs to seriously take a look at its release policy.

One of the bottlenecks is that most of the stories are in no condition to be mastered to a DVD release, much less a VHS release. There is a group of people, the Restoration Team, that as a labour of love for the series, restore the source material and develop extras by creating new content (commentaries/interviews) and by searching for relevant existing content, to add value to the release.

Steve Roberts is head of the Restoration Team and stated back in 2002 (both on Outpost Gallifrey and on their own RT forum), that the Restoration Team could increase their output. The bottleneck is BBC management, not the condition of the source material; in fact all the originals (in fact the negatives, I think) from Tom Bakers first season onward still exist. It’s the stuff that is pre-Robot that needs the most attention. They had mentioned that Inferno needed a lot of care which is one reason I’m surprised its rumored for a June 2006 release.

From reading posts by Mr. Roberts on the Restoration Team website, he often remarked of the limited budget allocated to the Restoration Team by the BBC as a cause for headaches. They could do so much more with more money.

(Hey, and Taras, it was nice seeing you at the Chritmas Invasion party, I had not realized you were there until I read the forum. Now, I remember you; you were the one doing the Brooklyn accent impressions before you left. Hope to talk to you more at the next meeting. Cheers.)

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 01:14 AM EST
    I hope the Inferno rumours are true as it is one of my favorite eps!! What can I say I'm a sucker for evil versions of people Razz

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 02:48 AM EST

DCS,

[It was a pleasure to meet you (and the rest as well). That wasn't me doing the impressions, it was the beer! Twisted Evil OK, it was me, but was it Brooklyn? I only speak Sycoraxic! I wouldn't sully myself speaking Brooklynese.]

I wasn't trying to dispute what you were saying, just adding my understanding (i.e. opinion).

Not all the original film sequences post-Robot exist. The RT entry for Horror of Fang Rock discusses bad telecine sequences, and that no film was available to correct this. Also, many of the post-Robot stories have their own interesting issues that need to be resolved and the mastering isn't as straight forward as implied. Plus, I don't see the advantage of a DVD release unless it is an improvement on the VHS version. Other's opinions on this will differ from mine, but I don't see the economics of the situation changing, unless a much higher percentage of the new series viewers in the UK gain an interest in the classic series, and a broadcast deal for the US is struck to renew interest in both the classic and new series here in the States. I think the drying up of the lisencing of the classic series may have actually worked to the detriment of getting a deal, as there are no pledge drives on all these PBS-type stations to bring up the fact that there is a new series which the fans can get/request the broadcast of. Most fans are more casual in their support than those of us here on the forum, and many have no idea that there is a new series. Many of us actually went out of our ways to find out what was going on with the franchise in the dearth of the '90s.

Taras

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 08:56 AM EST
    I, too, would like to see Inferno released on DVD. I remember watching those episodes back in the early '80s and loved it. It'll be nice to see what's available.

I must admit that in the last 5-7 years I had fallen away from watching Doctor Who. I had become extremely frustrated that there was no new series and older shows weren't being released on DVD. I do understand the constraints involved with restoring old film for DVD, but I've been frustrated with how few DVDs have been released in the years that I stopped watching Doctor Who.

Sunday, January 08 2006 @ 05:16 PM EST
    I just saw episode 1 of "Planet of Fire" and, boy, did it bring back memories. What great fun! I always enjoyed shows with the Master in it and Anthony Ainley did an excellent job portraying him. Seeing an episode from 1983 brings me back. Boy, where did the time go!

I can't wait to see episodes 2-4. Great stuff!

Sunday, January 15 2006 @ 11:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] I just saw episode 1 of "Planet of Fire" and, boy, did it bring back memories. What great fun! I always enjoyed shows with the Master in it and Anthony Ainley did an excellent job portraying him. Seeing an episode from 1983 brings me back. Boy, where did the time go!

I can't wait to see episodes 2-4. Great stuff!

I remember Peri's bikini and Turlough's very brief trunks. This is one of my taped PBS episodes that is in terrible condition as I began watching Doctor Who during Tom Baker's last season. So my Peter Davison episodes are just about falling apart.

If I recall correctly, this is the first time we really see Turlough with a juicy story. A bit of a shame, really, which I can't believe I'm saying...

Cyn

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 23 2006 @ 08:32 AM EST

Thanks.

I would love to see this on DVD myself its a good story i can see lots of scope for extras. I just wished with the benefit of hindsight, that the 5th Doctor and Peri had more stories with each other they made a great team.

Thank god for BF i say.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages