The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Tom Baker
    Tom Baker
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Colin Baker Era »  Does Anyone Like The Sixth Doctor?
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Does Anyone Like The Sixth Doctor? Views: 4767
     Friday, February 10 2006 @ 10:47 AM EST
    Recently, I have discovered that the sixth doctor is totally hated, I do not know why: The only reason I can think of is the fact that Doctor Who stopped for nearly a year from the end of 1985 to 1986. But in 1985 only episodes were 45 minutes until the stop, then Doctor Who retuned with a 14-part story; The Trial Of A Time Lord.
    P.S.Does anyone like the sixth doctor?
    Adam

I am the Master, and you will obey me. You will obey me.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 10:55 AM EST
    Just a quick note:When I first posted this, I called the topic'Does anyone the sixth doctor?' instead of 'Does anyone like the sixth doctor?'

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 11:45 AM EST

I actually liked Colin Baker's protrayal of the sixth Doctor when I was finally able to see episodes of season 21 and 22 airing in the New York area in the late eighties. I thought many of the scripts were not up to the level of Peter Davison's tenure, which was not a good sign, as those were already getting to be hit and miss.

Now, upon discovering the Big Finish audios just over a year ago, I am impressed with Colin Baker's performance as the Doctor given decent material. He got some of the better Big Finish stories, and is wonderful in most of them. And it is good for him to have a companion that he doesn't need to talk down to.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 11:49 AM EST
    tarashnat, I am glad that at least one person actually likes the sixth doctor.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 12:32 PM EST
    I like his audios a lot more than his TV performances - in fact he's my favourite Big Finish Audio Doctor simply because his voice carries that air of authority, passion and (most importantly) compassion. Colin Baker has such an expressive voice that is much more suited to audio than any of the others.

I didn't really go for his TV adventures. I think it was the coat that really put me off. I found the scripts were generally pretty dire, the humour forced and Peri had this really whiney voice that made me long to see someone drown her (not having been to America back then I wasn't in any position to comment on how good - or bad - her accent was). I had turned off the series at the tail end of the Davison era - I don't think I really watched it properly after Resurrection of the Daleks so none of the Sixth Doctor's antics really endeared me to the series.

Trial of a Timelord marked an upturn for me in the quality of the series, although the silly quips about the Valyard's name kept grating with me and of course the ending was a bit of a damp squib - pity they didn't go with the original idea, which would have actually given them a good premise for a regeneration too.

The thing that started to make me rethink my opinion was the Sixth Doctor section of Big Finish's The Sirens of Time. For me that was easily the most intriguing of the three (it would have been Davison section but I really couldn't get past the "oh no, I've locked Turlough and Tegan in the TARDIS and therefore they conveniently won't be in this episode" bit). Baker's Doctor had a much more grim and interesting adventure here that grabbed me in a way that the TV series really should have been able to. But it wasn't the storyline that did it - it was the way in which Baker himself brought it to life and gave it such an interesting atmosphere. I could even imagine that bloody awful coat without wincing.

Anyway, that's what I think. Hated the TV stuff (except Trial) but love the audio stuff.

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 01:41 PM EST
    I think Colin Baker is underrated as a doctor. His doctor's stength seems to be in at first making someone believe he is a big know it all, and then proving it. He shows his heart, however by fully engrossing his abilities in whatever problem he happens to be facing. I agree that his audio is better than his video, but i think that it has more to do with content than acting ability.

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 10:10 PM EST

The Sixth Doctor and Colin Baker are great. I believe he would have been even better if he was given a chance to develop as he originally anticipated he would... but the powers-that-be had other plans. His first season had respectable viewing numbers... It was the 18 month hiatus imposed during his term and the re-tooling of the show, all which was no fault of Colin, made the series suffer.

Colin Baker was the new current Doctor when the Gallifreyan Embassy was first formed... so perhaps there's also a bit of nostalgia attached to my memories of his tenure as the Doctor. And his stories could not be found via BitTorrent on the net at the time, the only way for most of us to see stories from his first season was at conventions projected on a large screen... prior to PBS stations getting his lot and aside from imported home recorded tapes from the UK.

Colin Baker also had great chemistry with Jon Pertwee at conventions such as Whovent85.

I truly believe he was given the short end of the stick in the mid-80's and was never given the chance to really develop his Doctor as he intended to do originally. I thought he did an excellent job with what he did do under the circumstances of the time.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 11:25 PM EST
    well, I for one started out absolutely hating the sixth doctor. Then, the more stories I became exposed to, the more I came around. I also agree with pretty much everyone else that the Big Finish stuff lets him really shine.
    My initial dislike for him stemmed from the apparent fact that he DESPISED all of his companions. I understand that Who was always pretty rough on companions (they haven't always been the brightest, and Peri was a far cry from Einstein) but if he hated the petty, ignorant and intellectually and emotionally inferior humans he traveled with so much, I wondered why he kept them around.
    Ultimately, the sixth doctor had a sort of "know it all" blase attitude, which I understand, but didn't really care for. All of the Doctors before him seemed to have deep affection for their companions (Pertwee saying goodbye to Jo and riding off on Bessie is a great example)and while they usually carried their superior intellect on their sleeve, I didn't dislike them for it, because at the end of the day, I felt like they cared.
    I always felt like Colin Baker's doctor was the smart kid in school who KNEW he was smart and was consistently voted most likely to discover the next major energy source. Nobody ever liked that kid at MY school.
    But like I said,Big Finish redeemed him for me. He still seems to know too much for his own good and has a pompous delivery, but he seems to have a bit more heart as well.
    And you know what, after all that, I kind of like the jacket. Wink

Heath Holland

Sunday, February 19 2006 @ 08:05 PM EST
    I like some of his stories. He had some bad ones too. I think Colin Baker was a good actor, he just didn't always have good scripts.

I am, however, NOT a fan of Peri.

Sunday, February 19 2006 @ 09:52 PM EST

I think that whomever developed the character put too much of Bayban into the part. Those who remember Blake's 7 will remember the role that Colin Baker played in City at the Edge of the World.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, February 20 2006 @ 12:57 AM EST

Yes, Bayban the Butcher! Excellent portrayal by Colin Baker. He also played a villainous character in the TV series Brothers as Paul Merroney which preceded his role the Doctor as well. Not to mention his prior Doctor Who role as Commander Maxil in Arc of Infinity.

I think Colin was spot on in his performance of the Doctor... and even though as short as his time was, he was already developing the character a bit further and we would have seen more if he was given the chance and didn't have to contend with outside forces trying to cancel the show.

The sixth Doctor was in complete contrast to the fifth Doctor... it was intentional... Tetchy and irritable qualities similar to William Hartnell's Doctor were plainly evident yet on the inside he was still caring and retained the Doctor's sense of right and wrong...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, February 20 2006 @ 08:51 AM EST
    I think I have always loved the idea of the 6th Doctor, but as others have mentioned before the scripts and execution during that period were kind of abyssmal. Like all of the other incarnations, he was the total opposite of his immediate predecessor while not emulating any of his other selves. Discarded was the insecurity, athleticism, and charm of the 5th Doctor to make way for an arrogance, stoutness, and loud bombasity. This harks back to how the Doctor was originally - in his first incarnation - right down to the cold alien detachment and clinging to his lapels while referring to his companion as a 'young lady', 'young man', or 'my dear child' (willingly showing his age once again after so long). I have also always had the personal view that the 6th Doctor never quite came out of his disturbing regeneration with total stability. He may have grown tired of suffering fools lightly and losing to heinous megalomaniacs due to his 'misplaced' amnesty and compassion. It was time to fight fire with fire and stand his ground boldly and loudly. He may have also been the one Doctor (so far) that was a bit more than eccentric... possibly even just slightly mad. Oh - and although most aspects of his costume I did find poorly designed, the coat was not one of them - I LOVED it and thought it suited him well. Think about all of his previous selves and how they wore their personas literally: as an elderly Edwardian gentleman, as an disarmingly foppish clown, as a preening status conscious dandy, as a casual bohemian always dressed for autumn/winter, as an athletic youth always dressed for spring/summer... the 6th Doctor was no different - bold, loud, and probably mad! Just my two cents.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 20 2006 @ 08:20 PM EST
    very well said, mate.
    I never thought of it that way. You've brought me new perspective.

Heath Holland

Monday, February 20 2006 @ 10:01 PM EST
    I love this kind of stuff. If and when I ever do get a chance to see any Colin episodes, I will have all of these ideas percolating inside to help inform my impressions of him, thus making it easier, i suspect, to appreciate his performance.

Much the same happened, as I mentioned in another thread, with Sylvester. I'd read so much about him as dark manipulator and such that when I finally actually saw a McCoy episode, I was able to bring all that baggage with me, making me enjoy it more than I ever would have otherwise.

So cheers to all of you for sharing these ideas and impressions. And thanks to Louis and the whole Embassy gang for making these forums possible!

It's a great time to be a Whovian.

Neil

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 23 2006 @ 08:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    The Sixth Doctor and Colin Baker are great. I believe he would have been even better if he was given a chance to develop as he originally anticipated he would... but the powers-that-be had other plans. His first season had respectable viewing numbers... It was the 18 month hiatus imposed during his term and the re-tooling of the show, all which was no fault of Colin, made the series suffer.

Colin Baker was the new current Doctor when the Gallifreyan Embassy was first formed... so perhaps there's also a bit of nostalgia attached to my memories of his tenure as the Doctor. And his stories could not be found via BitTorrent on the net at the time, the only way for most of us to see stories from his first season was at conventions projected on a large screen... prior to PBS stations getting his lot and aside from imported home recorded tapes from the UK.

Colin Baker also had great chemistry with Jon Pertwee at conventions such as Whovent85.

I truly believe he was given the short end of the stick in the mid-80's and was never given the chance to really develop his Doctor as he intended to do originally. I thought he did an excellent job with what he did do under the circumstances of the time.

Cheers,
    Louis

Yes I really like the 6th Doctor and Colin Baker. Most of the problems the show suffered in the mid 80s were not of Colins making.He was saddled with poor scripts and production values he always give 100% in the role.

Me I would have done away with that multi coloured jacket and given him that Blue suit that Big Finish like him to wear instead.As well as write a better debut for him TD is awful.

Having said all this I do like a lot of Colins TV scripts only Mindwarp and TD are poor. Big Finish have shown us what an excellant Doctor colin in is given a strong script.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed