The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Colin Baker's Costume
    Colin Baker's Costume
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Colin Baker Era »  Does Anyone Like The Sixth Doctor?
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Does Anyone Like The Sixth Doctor? Views: 4891
     Wednesday, June 14 2006 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    I grew up in the 80s with McCoy and Tom Baker and Peter Davison repeats and remember very little of Colin Baker. I have since seen all his stories very recently except the dalek one (copyright issue with Terry Nation I assume).

I didn't mind his "dark" portrayal as I already knew about the Vale Yard. I could imagine adults in the mid-80s being shocked, though. The costume suited him and I lapped up his arrogant performance. He played the character he was given almost to perfection, IMO. I always had a soft spot for Peri, too.

His 1st season was outstanding I thought, perhaps with the exception of "Time Lash".

Trial of a Timelord was a master stroke, with Michael Jayston and Linda Bellingham putting in the best performances I've seen in Dr Who. Pity about the anti-climactic ending in "The Ultimate Foe". Then Colin got shafted because of ratings.

All in all, rediscovering the 6th Doctor has been a joy for me, as I'd previously seen very little of him and I admit my impression of him had been negative due to me letting the bad publicity affect my judgement.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 14 2006 @ 09:04 PM EDT
    Also there is a world of difference between his TV portrayal and his more recent audio work for Big Finish.

It's almost like a new regeneration into a new Colin Baker Doctor. He's far more sympathetic, and likeable, less irritated, and far more compassionate.

I think that many people think that Baker's audio Doctor work far exceeds his TV Doctor work.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, June 14 2006 @ 09:23 PM EDT
    I have to admit to being one of those Doctor Who fans who started out disliking Colin Baker's portrayal of the Doctor. He was irritating, loud and had monumentally bad fashion sense.

One explanation that I remember reading, when he assumed the role, was that his regeneration was supposed to be unstable. If memory serves it was something to do with the spider venom from Caves of Androzani.

After watching the episodes over the years, my opinion of him changed considerably. It just took me some time to get past his mood swings and begin to appreciate the fact that the core of the Doctor's character was still intact.

Personally, I think Sylvester McCoy was far worse in the role. He is most assuredly my least favorite Doctor.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Thursday, June 15 2006 @ 04:51 AM EDT
    er .. the quick answer is no (except on Audio).
    His character is so annoying that I always hoped that the enemies would successfully kill him.

With regard to Sylvester McCoy, I always liked his character (Vision On anyone?) but with the exception of Remembrance of the Daleks the stories kind of sucked!

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 15 2006 @ 09:39 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] .
    Also there is a world of difference between his TV portrayal and his more recent audio work for Big Finish.

It's almost like a new regeneration into a new Colin Baker Doctor. He's far more sympathetic, and likeable, less irritated, and far more compassionate.

I think that many people think that Baker's audio Doctor work far exceeds his TV Doctor work.

Sean.

Perhaps given time, his character would have been more like this in the TV series... When I first met Colin Baker during his first season (series) as the Doctor, his plan was stay in the role for at least 8 seasons... (he didn't spell it out like that, but he did say he planned on staying in the role longer than a previous actor in the role that shared the same sir name... something like that)... I suspect that he and JNT planned on smoothing his character out bit during the course of his tenure... to what extent, I am unsure. Too bad it never happened.

Though, I have to say, I did not have any problems with him being temperamental and crotchety ... it reflected back to the early Hartnell. It added that extra dimension... because we knew it was really on the surface level.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, June 15 2006 @ 10:20 AM EDT
    Totally unrelated, but speaking of Colin Baker, I recently purchased a show flier from the UK of a Ray Cooney show (autographed by the author) for a present to my director and Colin Baker was in the production!

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Thursday, May 17 2007 @ 11:42 PM EDT
    I loved Colin Baker as the Doctor, and I was very sad that he was forced to leave the part so soon. His potrayal actually got me back into the show as a teenager, after having stopped watching when Tom Baker left (I was around eight and couldn't figure out why the new guy didn't look the same or have a scarf Smile ).

Looking back, I can see many of the issues others have pointed out with Colin Baker's era, but I still always enjoy his performance. Maybe it's because I'm something of an introvert, but I'm usually fascinated by big, brash personalities.

And interestingly...I didn't seem to mind the coat when I first saw it either. Anyway, I'm happy he's doing the audios, and I'd love to have a chance to see him perform in theater one day.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 26 2007 @ 09:31 PM EDT
    he's my least favorite doctor right now

and he's the worst dressed doctor.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post