The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ben Righton at Who in the Cavern 3
    Ben Righton at Who in the Cavern 3
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Colin Baker Era »  Big Finish
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Big Finish Views: 2118
     Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 10:36 AM EST
    Hello group,

I have always found Big Finish CDs too pricy for me to justify, but with the new more reasonably priced downloads, (especially the earlier $8.00 ones) I want to give them a listen.

Primarily I would be interested in Doctor's 6 and 8. What would be a good starting story so I don't jump into the middle of a story arc.

BTW, I did search for posts that already answered this, but the authors listed their stories by showing a picture of the story, which shows up as a red X on my computer. Great post, but I am unsure of the story titles. Thanks.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 04:31 PM EST
    Hi, I've listened to Big Finish for quite a while but haven't listened to that many, unfortunately I cannot give a good recommendation for Colin Baker but I can give a good idea of Paul McGann recommendation.

I'd either suggest the story Storm Warning as it begins right at the beginning of the Charlie story arc and is an excellent story.
    I might also suggest Blood of the Daleks (I think) the first story with Sheridan Smith as Lucie as that begins the Lucie arc and also has Daleks in it. A definite plus!

Hope my recommendations help!
    Any other ideas?

Ace : "I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever."
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 05:17 PM EST
    Sixth Doctor...Holy Terror, Jubilee, The One Doctor, Davros.

Eight Doctor...Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Time of the Daleks, Natural History of Fear, Sherzo.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 05:34 PM EST
    Welcome aboard the Big Finish train! For Colin Baker I would make sure you listen to "The Marian Conspiracy", it is a purely historical story and is the first story to feature Evelyn Smythe who is a great companion for Doctor number six.

Definately start with "Storm Warning" for the Paul McGann stories and ideally listen to them all in order because of the Charlie story arc. That said "Sword Of Orion" is a little slow and "Minuet In Hell" isn't too great either. His second season really should be listened to in order (DEFINATELY make sure you listen to "The Chimes Of Midnight" which is pure gold!!!) as it builds to "Neverland" which is great and leads into "Zagreus" which I think is overlong and a bit of a mess but seems to be popular with Americans (and, of course it is a multi-Doctor story... sort of). I am not too keen on his third and fourth seasons which takes on a different format to the norm (I don't want to spoil it by telling you in what way) but there are still some classics such as "Scherzo", "A Brief History Of Fear" and "Caerdroia". Although I own them I have yet to listen to his BBC7 series featuring Lucie Miller but the place to start with that is "Blood Of The Daleks Part One" and from all accounts the series is very good and Lucie Miller a great companion! Hope that helps... Enjoy!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 09:24 PM EST
    I just listened to the first story in the Gallifrey line, Weapon of Choice, and I wasn't super impressed. I thought it was ok, but I don't know if I want to listen to the others right away. Can anyone tell me if the rest of the Gallifrey line is any good?

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 10:18 PM EST
    If you're really interested in the 6th Doctor Stories, I highly suggest starting up with the 6th Doctor and Evelyn stories. Most of them are fantastic.

Here are the 6th Doctor/Evelyn titles I recommend and the suggested listening order:

06. The Marian Conspiracy
    09. The Spectre of Lanyon Moor
    22. Bloodtide
    23. Project: Twilight
    37. The Sandman
    40. Jubilee
    43. Doctor Who and The Pirates
    45. Project: Lazarus
    57. Arrangements for War
    60. Medicinal Purposes
    84. The Nowhere Place
    100. 100 (I would suggest holding off on listening to the final story - "100 Days of the Doctor" - until you become more acquainted with the Davison, McCoy, and McGann audio stories).
    73. Thicker Than Water (not to spoil anything, but this probably meant to be the "final" Evelyn story, so I suggest listening to it last)

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 09:10 AM EST
    Personally, I'm only up to #44 on Big Finish, and I have to say that Evelyn is not a companion that I enjoy listening to at all. Each time a story begins and she is in it, I heave a big sigh and muddle through. (Though Lanyon Moor was AWESOME! but the Brig. was in that one!)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 09:37 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tardispod] Hi, I've listened to Big Finish for quite a while but haven't listened to that many, unfortunately I cannot give a good recommendation for Colin Baker but I can give a good idea of Paul McGann recommendation.

I'd either suggest the story Storm Warning as it begins right at the beginning of the Charlie story arc and is an excellent story.
    I might also suggest Blood of the Daleks (I think) the first story with Sheridan Smith as Lucie as that begins the Lucie arc and also has Daleks in it. A definite plus!

Hope my recommendations help!
    Any other ideas?

For selected Early 8th Doctor Audios, try

Storm Warning
    The Chimes of Midnight
    Embrace the Darkness

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 11:50 AM EST
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I have a few choices for jumping off points now.

JM

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 03:39 PM EST

Of the Colin Baker stories, most are one-offs, but the following two pairs should probably be listened to in the order released, as the latter are the sequels to the prior story:

23. Project: Twilight
    45. Project: Lazarus

57. Arrangements for War
    73. Thicker Than Water

As for the Paul McGann stories, they seem to be the ones that follow more definite arcs. Though most of the stories can be enjoyed individually, there is an added bit of story/revelation for those who listen to them in order.

You can check out the tread: Home General Doctor Who Chatter My Big Finish rating omnibus for some general guidance on which Big Finish stories I liked, and which I didn't. I try to update that post every couple of months with the most recent stories that I listened to.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 05:08 PM EST
    Some related news:-

David Tennant will read Doctor Who: Pest Control, the latest audio adventure from BBC Audiobooks.

See here:-

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 07:21 PM EST
    I've only listened to about half of the existing line... however, for me the strongest seven stories for ALL of the involved Doctors were:

13. The Shadow of the Scourge
    14. The Holy Terror
    21. Dust Breeding
    27. The One Doctor
    29. The Chimes of Midnight
    34. Spare Parts
    40. Jubilee

Well, there ya go. And by the way... this was my first ever posting to the Gallifreyan Embassy. (Yipee!)

"C'mon, Ace... we've got work to do!"

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 10:34 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Joshua Lou]...

Well, there ya go. And by the way... this was my first ever posting to the Gallifreyan Embassy. (Yipee!)

The first of many we hope. Thanks so much for your generosity and hospitality while in LA for Gallifrey 2008. Both Ken and I are eagerly looking forward to returning next year.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 03:25 PM EDT
    A starter Big Finish Audio for the 6th Doctor, eh? Well, I would personally suggest The Juggernauts. It's the best of what I've heard of the Colin Baker audios, if not the best Colin Baker story all together.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 10:39 PM EDT
    I personally LOVE Whisper of Terror for the 6th, though to be honest the Doctor kind of takes a back seat to the actual plot. But it's a great story, Peri seems to have grown more bold, and the 6th has more affection for her but still retains his quintessential Six-ness.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored