| Thursday, May 04 2006 @ 07:15 AM EDT
|Colin Baker – Dr Who At The Cavern, Liverpool, 2006
Notes on his interview
NEW SERIES COMMENTS
- He loves the new show, thinks it’s “fantastic”, loves the new TARDIS interior and admires the production values
- He said School Reunion was “beautifully written” & said he had a lump in his throat and they had done really well with the SJS Storyline
- He thinks the new series has got “a good 5 years” in it
- He wants to see the Doctor being “cleverer” but doesn’t like the idea of the Doctor as being “god-like”
- He thinks Billie is “the new Nicola” – keeps the dads watching, etc. He hadn’t seen her act before & only knew her as a singer, but thinks she’s great.
- He thinks the scripts are good, but wants better stories.
- He thought Chris Eccleston made a “great Doctor” – “but what’s with the Northern bit?” noting Colin himself is from Manchester, both Tom & Paul are from Liverpool & Sylv is Scottish!
- Thinks David’s better as he has added the “humour” to the role
- He didn’t like the way Chris treated the Dalek & compared it to the Big Finish audio ‘Jubilee’. Colin says it’s not right for the Doctor to go around killing Daleks. He’s asked “But you shot the Cyber Controller!” & replies “Yes, he was a b*stard!”
- Has no problems with violence in DW – notes that the new series is avoiding visible deaths, everything happens behind closed doors – comments Tony Head was very scary
OLD SERIES COMMENTS
- Usual light-hearted ‘digs’ at Peter Davison
- Told the story about him being Maxil in DW & getting the nickname of Archie from JN-T
- He generally gets nervous on first nights, but didn’t starting DW, he just felt “Yes! This is the one!”
- Twin Dilemma – not the best, but not as bad as people say
- Says the actors in the Cybermen costumes could only see out of their mouth slits, so it was hard for them.
- Vengeance On Varos – showed how the acceptance of violence affected society, so the violence on screen was necessary. He doesn’t think watching violence on TV adversely affects viewers – it can’t turn nice people into nasty ones!
- Timelash – unpopular, but not as bad as he expected on repeated viewing
- 2 Doctors – “fantastic” working with Pat – knew him “slightly” before, due to his friendship with David Troughton. Filmed in Seville, stayed in nice hotels, etc. – good to get to go abroad for filming. (When he did War & Peace, the cast went to Yugoslavia – Colin filmed in Luton!) Some wigs went missing, so the cast couldn’t work & had 3 days of relaxation!
- Says the regeneration worked because of Pat Troughton’s acting, said PT was “very sweet & very generous” & “great fun” – played jokes on each other, etc.
- Revelation of the Daleks – “strange story” as Doctor was hardly in the first half an hour or so – mentioned problems with Eric Saward
- Mark of the Rani – doing DVD commentary with Kate O’Mara
- The 18-month hiatus – still got p[aid by the BBC because of the contract
- Trial – thinks it was “naff” – ‘art reflecting life’ or vice versa – verdict was guilty, “as far as I was concerned” – notes themes being used in current series (bad wolf, Torchwood)
- Favourite episode was 2 Docs – enjoyed working with Pat, good story to do
- “Didn’t enjoy” the death of the 6th Doctor – the Big Finish audios have helped the “unfinished business” of the 6th Doctor
BIG FINISH AUDIOS COMMENTS
- Each Big Finish audio takes 2 days – enjoyed Medicinal Purposes with David Tennant – comments “He has a very good Scots accent!”
- Likes the character of Evelyn – says she’s “very challenging, a worthy mental adversary of the Doctor”
- Has done 3 BF audios lately – was surprised that Maureen O’Brien was in one, had always seen her as the reluctant companion, but she was “lovely”
- He wants to do the big guns thing – shooting the Cyber Controller was the closest he’s come so far
- Lived in a thatched cottage in Oxfordshire, when he started DW
- Nicola Bryant’s health has improved, she’s now “much, much better” & working in the theatre
- Currently touring with Strangers On A Train – opened this week – the book is very different to the Hitch*censored* film. Play stars Will Thorp, Alex Fearns, Anita Harris & Leah Bracknell too – “good cast, plays very well, very spooky piece”. Colin plays Arthur Gerrard, P.I. – “a bit like Columbo” – touring Manchester, Glasgow, Brighton, Milton Keynes, Cheltenham, Norwich, Cambridge, Woking, Richmond, etc.
- If he had his own TARDIS, he would like to go back to last Saturday & persuade Ferguson not to put Rooney on! Supports Man Utd (as he’s from Manchester), Liverpool FC (as he worked there in Rep. & went to the matches) & Wycombe Wanderers (where he lives now).
- Commented on the Bill Baggs series Stranger – “very good & very clever” – marketed to DW fans, but not able to use DW due to copyright
- Airzone – Got on with Jon Pertwee very well, Jon asked to do one with just him & Colin, but it wasn’t possible. Said Jon had so much charisma.