The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Who Cosplay
    Who Cosplay
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Colin Baker Era »  The least favourite doctor?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The least favourite doctor? Views: 2305
     Monday, August 07 2006 @ 01:27 PM EDT
    Would it be fair to assume that Colin Baker is the least favourite doctor then?

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 02:38 PM EDT

It would not be fair to assume that. Neither last favorite nor least favorite!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 04:40 PM EDT

Far from it.

I must concur with Taras.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 06:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Palms] Would it be fair to assume that Colin Baker is the least favourite doctor then?

No - but it was a pity he didn't have time to mellow.

But he also had Peri who I liked - so that helped a bit.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 06:52 PM EDT
    no, I quite like the 6th doctor. The only doctor I don't think is better than sliced bread is the first doctor. I'm sure lots of people disagree, and I understand his historical significance, I just don't care for Hartnell's portrayal. Every other doctor is absolutely great to me. There's just something about him that rubs me wrong, and I don't like him. It may be some of the Hartnell stories I heard before I saw any of his episodes flavoring my tastes.

Heath Holland

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 09:12 PM EDT
    Sylvester McCoy, everybody's tenth favourite Doctor! Wink

Okay, it's not actually true but McCoy does seem to be towards the bottom of the list more often than the others.

This is not to say that he does not have lots of fans but that I think if everyone ranked the Doctors using some sort of ordinal system he'd be at the bottom.

OTOH I think that Colin baker has improved his popularity among fans since leaving the role.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    Yeah, you can assume that for me. Colin Baker is my absolute least favorite Doctor, and that will include McGann.

Not his fault, I have a lot of respect for the actor - I blame the situation with Who at the time, and their desperate attempt to turn the Doctor into a dark character, which made no sense when you consider how they dressed him!

Colin Baker has risen in my estimation since I've heard so many of his Big Finish dramas, but for the TV run, Colin is my least fave.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 10:13 PM EDT
    I think there are two separate questions at work here. One is where he places with the general public and one is where he rates among DW fans.

I would tend to think among the general British viewing public he must be very near the bottom of the list, yeah. Just as a function of ratings, he's where a lot of people switched off. His brief and unheralded stay in the role didn't allow for any great amount of media to be generated about him, unlike the 7th and 8th Doctors. There was, for instance, no 6DA range of books, no great amount of comic material, no period of time when he was the "current" Doctor (even when the show wasn't actually in production). Until the very late 1990s, there really wasn't anything to judge him by BUT the televised appearances, and they are, by most everyone's account, uninspired. The ratings nosedive—and you can attribute it to whatever you like—tells one thing clearly: people switched his Doctor off.

Now, obsessive fans like us, who have experienced him in greater detail might well have had the time to form a different opinion, but we're atypical for the total number of people who would've encountered the Sixth Doctor. We've the luxury of audios, which frankly helps our perception of his visually offensive Doctor. We've seen the rise (and now fall) of some novelized fiction about him. There's more to his Doctor now, if you want to spend the time and money, to find it.

But judged solely on what was televised, you'd be hard-pressed to make an argument for him as an exemplar of what was good about Doctor Who. He's definitely not the kind of Doctor you could show to a complete newbie today with any hope of convincing him or her that Doctor Who is a great television show.

On a personal level, as for whether he's absolutely my least favorite televised Doctor, I dunno. McCoy's pretty damned awful, too. Lemme find a coin . . .

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 10:16 PM EDT
    Can't say that Colin Baker was my least favorite. For me it will always be Sylvester McCoy. So many things were lacking (IMHO) in his portrayal of The Doctor.

As for Colin Baker, it was never any stretch for me to buy into the unstable regeneration rhetoric that was bandied about during his run. It only made him more interesting. He was the "Shock Jock Doc". I never knew what he'd say next, or how far he would go when he was on a roll, and that kept me watching in spite of some fairly dismal plot lines.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 10:58 PM EDT
    Interesting reading this debate!

Most people say Colin Baker is better than the question asks and make a few excuses for his television work before hailing his work on Big Finish. Some then go on to state that Sylvester McCoy is their least favourite.

So I have to ask the question: Is nobody bothering with McCoys Big Finish work?

Personal opinion:

Syvester McCoy has done almost the same as Colin Baker.

His television portrayal was similarly hampered by bad treatment and he has expanded his role through Big Finish by a huge margin. Stories like The Master; The Settling, The Harvest, Live 34 and Colditz have been marvelous to listen to. So what gives?

If I had to single a Doctor out for failing to perform it would be Paul McGann. A reasonably poor movie followed by a very patchy Big Finish resume. Yet he seems to be able to walk on water. If Paul McGann had been a football manager with his win draw loss ratio then I think he would have been shortest odds on WIlliam Hills first manager to lose their job card!

If you guys out there are not listening to McCoys audios then I think you are missing something and if you are then I fail to see why the differential betwixt McCoy and Baker.
    signed

Mystified of Puddlesea on Mud

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 11:05 PM EDT
    On television Colin Baker was certainly my least favorite Doctor, I found him too annoying and actually unlikable. I always had a soft spot for Sylvester McCoy (something to do with Vision On I think). Reviewing them now I can see both had very weak story lines, but I still prefer Sylvester. McGann may come in last because a) I don't like the Movie plotline, though McGann's acting is okay b) He obviously wasn't good enough to get a second episode made.

On the BF Audio's I would probably rank McGann first then Sylvester/Baker as joint second with Davidson bringing up the rear.

Overall though, Yeah probaly mr C Baker as least favourite.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 11:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]

Personal opinion:

Syvester McCoy has done almost the same as Colin Baker.

His television portrayal was similarly hampered by bad treatment and he has expanded his role through Big Finish by a huge margin. Stories like The Master; The Settling, The Harvest, Live 34 and Colditz have been marvelous to listen to. So what gives?

I have to say that I have not heard any of Sylvester McCoy's BF audio episodes. I am probably missing out, from the sound of things. In fact, I haven't heard any BF productions at all.

I will endeavor to obtain some of the BF episodes. Thanks for the tip!

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 12:21 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]

If I had to single a Doctor out for failing to perform it would be Paul McGann. A reasonably poor movie followed by a very patchy Big Finish resume. Yet he seems to be able to walk on water. If Paul McGann had been a football manager with his win draw loss ratio then I think he would have been shortest odds on WIlliam Hills first manager to lose their job card!

I dunno. I think McGann's work is spot on. I think he really has developed what could/should have been. The Chimes of Midnight is Fantastic and to me represents one of the best audios, if not better than amny/most of the 6th and 7th doctors televised adventures.

Both McCoy and C. Baker are superb as well on the audios, although i favor McGann over them.
    If anything, I think Davison's audios are not up to par vs. his tlelvised performances...although i really like the Erimem character.

Finally, of course, these guys can only perform the material they are given and there are a few stinkers in the BF line...but it's a great way to get a new fix on a bygone doctor!

"...edible ball bearings...genius!"

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 01:09 AM EDT

Choosing a "least favourite" Doctor for me is just as difficult has picking a "favourite" Doctor... So I won't. But having said that, my least favourite (televised) era for me would be McCoy. Not due to Sylvester McCoy or the 7th Doctor character himself... but the general unbelievable silliness that plagued so many of his stories (flying buses in space, candyman villians, constables in dressing draws, etc.). Not to say that there haven't been some stories that avoided the cartoon silliness seen elsewhere his era, there were. But it's these other incidents that drag his tenure as the Doctor down for me. Again, as already pointed out, I don't blame the actor or the character of the 7th Doctor, there is only so much he can do within the confines of the script and story given to him (and the execution of those stories).

So I can't say that he is my least favourite, but I will say his era has some of my least favourite stories in it.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, August 11 2006 @ 08:31 AM EDT
    The CB era was where I started to tune out of Dr Who, and at the time I thought the character was obnoxious. However, years passed and I started watching them again on UKTV Gold, and I really warmed to the character. I just think that giving him a story like the Twin Dilemma as the regeneration story, immediately after a classic story such as Caves of Androzani, was unforgiveable. I thought that Vengeance on Varos was a cracking story, and I feel a bit sad that I didn't give him a chance the first time around. I would also concur with other views expressed regarding the BF audios, he's really good (mind you, only heard Pier Pressure so far - but I really liked it).
    I don't really like picking a least favourite, they're all great.

Excallibur? Blizard? ...Bikini Cops?
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed