The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    My retro cyberman
    My retro cyberman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  Best McCoy Story
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Best McCoy Story Views: 3707
     Thursday, April 26 2007 @ 08:44 AM EDT
    Without a doubt I put "Remembrance of the Daleks" of the Dalek's at the top of my list, with Curse of Fenric somewhere behind it (Let's face it, if your British (and a certain age) the presence of Nicholas Parsons, kind of blows all credability).

And what about Survival with starring a furry Lisa "Bernice Summerfield" Bowerman? Okay, it's pretty cr@p.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 26 2007 @ 10:32 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] "Remembrance", in particular, makes my skin crawl. It implies the First Doctor was an entire fool, makes a cliffhanger out of Daleks, pardon-me-as-I-yawn flying, has Ace hitting Daleks with a baseball bat, and has McCoy playing arch-butch.

Hey, to be fair, we may have seen thousands of Daleks flying in the series these days, and even seen thousands flying in the comics back in the day of the classic series, but I remember watching Remembrance as a teenager on its original broadcast and being so excited when the Dalek started hovering up the stairs at the end of Ep 1, destroying 20 years of Dalek-stairway jokes in one fell swoop. It's a great cliffhanger.

But my sentimental favourite would probably have to be Greatest Show In The Galaxy. Like a lot of McCoy stories, it doesn't stand up too well to a viewing with older eyes, but despite its shortcomings it's still a nice concept and I still find the Chief Clown extremely menacing and creepy all these years later. One of my very favourite Who villains...

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 29 2007 @ 11:45 AM EDT
    "Greatest SHow in the Galaxy" is okay. It's not a favorite of mine but it has some great moments such as the werewolf traveling companion of the pompous space explorer (whose name slips my mind).

The problem with that one and with so many McCoy stories is that there are unneccesary characters that do nothing but fill space rather than move the plot along.

Seriously, do you think the story would be damaged if they removed all the scenes with that cranky woman street vendor? They could have gotten rid of all those scenes and the story would have still held up, probably even better because there would be more time to better explore the Gods of Ragnaroth or whatever they were called.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 29 2007 @ 03:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  lucas]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] "Remembrance", in particular, makes my skin crawl. It implies the First Doctor was an entire fool, makes a cliffhanger out of Daleks, pardon-me-as-I-yawn flying, has Ace hitting Daleks with a baseball bat, and has McCoy playing arch-butch.

Hey, to be fair, we may have seen thousands of Daleks flying in the series these days, and even seen thousands flying in the comics back in the day of the classic series, but I remember watching Remembrance as a teenager on its original broadcast and being so excited when the Dalek started hovering up the stairs at the end of Ep 1, destroying 20 years of Dalek-stairway jokes in one fell swoop. It's a great cliffhanger.
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you mention the comics, written as they were by the Daleks' effective co-creator, David Whitaker. It was already a demonstrated power, and had been since the TV Century 21 run of comics back that started when Hartnell was the current Doctor. It was already well understood that Daleks could fly, but not on a BBC budget. The cliffhanger, though, made it seem as though that seeing one Dalek ascend a short staircase was an added power we weren't expecting. But quite the reverse was true. If it didn't damn well get up the stairs, then it wasn't a Dalek. The classic series had cleverly gotten around the issue by generally not putting the Daleks in situations where their budgetary shortcomings would be bleedingly obvious. But that doesn't make "Remembrance" any more impressive than filming cars stopping for a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Sunday, April 29 2007 @ 05:26 PM EDT
    ive recently just had a massive re-evaluation of the mccoy era, and i actually think it's one of the most uniquely odd of the classic series. due to the direction that JNT was told to take the show in, it ended up having a late 80's almost CBBC feel - you could have totally imagined watching some of these episodes between chucklevision and newsround for instance. very campy in places, and wonderfully dark in others with loads of weird eccentric characters. if i was to pick my favourites:

paradise towers
    the happiness patrol
    remembrance of the daleks (the story isn't as strong as i used to believe it was, but it's saved by some great moments)
    silver nemesis
    the greatest show in the galaxy
    battlefield
    curse of fenric
    ghost light
    survival

there are actually more stories that i enjoy than those which i don't, which is definately different to how i used to perceive that era!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 29 2007 @ 08:58 PM EDT
    ghost light is beautifully shot, but my favorite is Batlefield. you cant beat the brigadier

"I've seen whole armies turn and run away. And he'd just swagger off back to his TARDIS and open the doors with a snap of his fingers. The Doctor in the TARDIS.

Sunday, April 29 2007 @ 08:59 PM EDT
    i just can't type today, sorry "battlefield"

"I've seen whole armies turn and run away. And he'd just swagger off back to his TARDIS and open the doors with a snap of his fingers. The Doctor in the TARDIS.

Monday, April 30 2007 @ 06:38 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  JeffL] "Greatest SHow in the Galaxy" is okay. ...
    Seriously, do you think the story would be damaged if they removed all the scenes with that cranky woman street vendor?

Agreed. I'm always tempted to turn off the video by midway through that woman's second scene, and there's still a whole episode of her still to come after that. Torture.

But at least you still get killer clowns, norse gods, a very peculiar & compelling meloncholy tone with the kites constantly following Bellboy and Flowerchild, and a lovely, lovely shot at the end with the circus tent exploding in the background as the Doctor calmly walks away.

Tuesday, February 19 2008 @ 11:35 AM EST
    I must cast my vote for Curse of Fenric as well. I love the relationship between the Doctor and Ace. It was such a lovely, father-daughter bond, and the end of this episode is wonderful and devestating keeping that in mind. Happiness Patrol is another one I really like as is Remembrance of the Daleks. I love McCoy's portrayal of the Doctor-he had this great dark edge, balanced with such affection for Ace that it made him a really complex character.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 02 2008 @ 02:05 AM EST
    Here are my favorites:

Best story (television) - Remembrance of the Daleks
    Best story (Big Finish) - The Harvest

Both have amazing performances from the Legendary Aldred! *whistles quietly just before running out of the room shouting "don't hit me"* Wink

Sunday, March 02 2008 @ 09:19 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  gackt] im gonna have to add another vote for 'curse of fenric'

Another 'me too' post.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, March 02 2008 @ 10:26 AM EST
    curse of...,although i ain't seen the others since the original run & i haven't heard many of the big finish but they seem really good from what i can gather.
    the vamps were really well done for such a lousy budget,that fascist/undead possession metaphor clinched it..reminded me of alot of the local yokels near my old area hertfordshire/essex!
    respect to alan turing,a genuine hero!...r.i.p. bra'

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 03:20 PM EDT
    I'd have to say Survival is best. I quite like it. Mainly because it has the Master in it, and I absolutely love the Mastr, I think he's one of the best villains ever. I also like Sylvestor's little speech at the end of Part 3. Fantastic episode!

BTW: This is my first post here.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 03:43 PM EDT
    Tough question: it's between TIME AND THE RANI, PARADISE TOWERS, HAPPINESS PATROL, SILVER NEMESIS and DRAGONFIRE. Oh, wait, this for the best MCCoy story: oh let's see: GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY probably. They ALL had problems. SURVIVAL was pretty good, the Dalek story part one was excellent but after that...I'm quite partial to DELTA AND THE BANNERMEN for some reason.

I used to HATE HATE HATE Battlefield, Curse of Fenric, and Ghostlight for their silliness, their throw everything in but the kitchen sink and their illogical plotlines and unlistenable dialog but I've since grown to like them in some way(s).

Best? I'd have to say GREATEST SHOW and DELTA.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored