The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Travis and TARDIS 2006
    Travis and TARDIS 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  Best McCoy Story
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Best McCoy Story Views: 3544
     Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 01:27 PM EDT
    hi all
    what does everyone think was the best mcCoy story?
    My vote would go to Curse of Fenric.
    ian

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 01:54 PM EDT
    "Remembrance of the Daleks" - has so many references to the past that it's impossible to keep up.

Plus the "No Coloreds" sign adds a level of seriousness and social commentary that I found completely unexpected in Doctor Who.

I thought it was excellent.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 03:11 PM EDT
    If it counts... Human Nature! I've just finished reading this and it is excellent!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 08:06 PM EDT
    I'd go with you; The Curse Of Fenric is a big favourite of mine.

I've always been really interested in WWII, and they captured that era very well. The haunting/eerie score was really good too.

So yeah, Curse of Fenric it is (although on a different day it could easily have been Ghost Light)

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 08:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  iantelos] hi all
    what does everyone think was the best mcCoy story?
    My vote would go to Curse of Fenric.
    ian

I would have to second your vote for Curse of Fenric. The second best episode would have to be Remembrance of the Daleks.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 11:28 PM EDT

It is too bad that they didn't have the budget to film any of the scenes from Curse of Fenric at night. Scenes with vampires shot in broad daylight just don't have the right level of menace. Despite that, this is one of the best stories of the McCoy era, and one of my favorites. It also has my favorite soundtrack from the classic era.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, March 16 2007 @ 07:38 AM EDT
    It is really sad that we never got to see the next series..who knows how dark that would have been.I feel the series was going in the right direction after the early McCoy episodes which at times was naff!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 16 2007 @ 12:06 PM EDT

If I remember correctly, the Big Finish audio play Night Thoughts was being considered for the television series before it was cancelled. That may give you an idea of a direction the series could have gone in.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, March 16 2007 @ 12:18 PM EDT
    If the rumours are true for the 3rd series then I would think that RTD would be looking at Master quite closely.

Given the resolution it would be a way of bringing him back and the story could be adapted.

The storyline also gives him an "out" as to why another Time Lord" survived the war without tying him to bringing back all of them.

Night thoughts was also excellent but basically it is a whodunit with some time stuff thrown in.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Friday, March 16 2007 @ 01:07 PM EDT
    im gonna have to add another vote for 'curse of fenric'

Such a beautiful thing is always good that it is fascinating. However, a good thing is beautiful always.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 07:26 AM EDT
    Thanks for bringing this topic up. I must admit that McCoy is not one of my favorite doctors--it's not so much how he played the Doctor but that the scripts during that time were pretty bad (in my opinion). However, with that said, I went onto Netflix last night and saw that the "Curse of Fenric" had the "Watch Now" button next to it. I fired it up, pumped the video out to my tv at full screen and watched away. I have to admit that I did enjoy the episode and liked the more serious tone.

I did have a few questions: I missed the undercurrent as to "who" the bad guy was--he seemed to know the Doctor from before in having lost a chess match. Now I've seen a lot of Doctor Who in my time and this wasn't ringing a bell.

I also thought it was a bit weird to have that pop psychology moment in which Ace jumps into the water, swims around a bit, comes out all wet, and now she's all better in feeling bad about her mom. Weird moment--not sure why that scene was needed.

Anyway, good recommendation to watch the episode. Thank you.

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 11:48 AM EDT
    Best McCoy story? I didn't realize you could use all three of those words in a sentence.

There really is no single televised story of McCoy's that I wholly like. However there are a few that aren't utter rubbish (at least if you can excise the musical scores). "Time and the Rani" and "Paradise Towars" are utter tripe. Don't have to give any rationale for that; it's just bloody obvious.

"Delta and the Bannerman" gave us Ray, who I think should've actually been the companion. Far better actress, far more interesting character. And she was Welsh! How cool would it have been if a Welsh companion prefigured the RTD era? The story itself is garbage, but she's cool.

"Dragonfire" has a, um, cool concept that you can pretty much understand all the way through. That's saying a lot for the McCoy era. But then that's also the story that gave us Ace and the literal cliffhanger so . . .

Not much in "The Happiness Patrol" and "Remembrance of the Daleks" which doesn't completely disgrace the series. "Remembrance", in particular, makes my skin crawl. It implies the First Doctor was an entire fool, makes a cliffhanger out of Daleks, pardon-me-as-I-yawn flying, has Ace hitting Daleks with a baseball bat, and has McCoy playing arch-butch.

"Silver Nemesis" at least had sufficient mystery to keep me watching—until the disasterous third episode.

"The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" was a clunker, too, but there were one or two good Doctorly moments there, at least. Unfortunately, there's also rapping that makes you long for Keff McCullogh's score.

"Ghost Light" was a miserable failure. I bet there's no single story that's required so much post-broadcast discussion to make sense of it. "Love and Monsters" is an entire masterpiece in comparison.

"The Curse of Fenric", as broadcast, had more plotholes than plot. In its movie version on the DVD, it's better, but the conclusion makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That said, it does have some very nice underwater camera work for the age. (Mohan, look all you want, but you're not really gonna find answers to your questions. Maybe the bad guy would've returned in Season 27 or 28, but as things stand, the story collapses under the weight of its own self-importance in the end.)

And "Survival" just reeks. It's a nonsense. Why the HELL would the Master give up control of himself as he did? Cheapens the whole character concept to think he'd have found something of value in those cheetahs. Yeah, I"m buying the DVD, but as with all the McCoy era, only for the extra features. And for tips about how to ride a motorbike.

Which only really leaves us with "Battlefield" and the TVM—both of which give us something at least watchable. I would actually go so far as to say that McCoy is practically "on fire" in "Battlefield", And there's something immediately appealing about McCoy as a companionless Doctor in the TVM.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 07:55 PM EDT
    [Quote Why the HELL would the Master give up control of himself as he did? Cheapens the whole character concept to think he'd have found something of value in those cheetahs.

Have you read "The Eight Doctors"? The cheetahs certainly had something of great value to the Master's survival.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 18 2007 @ 08:18 PM EDT
    I tend to agree with DarthSkeptical's conclusion. My favorite McCoy story is "Battlefield."

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 26 2007 @ 02:47 AM EDT
    hear a lot of good things about the curse of fenric.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed