The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    K9
    K9
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  Paradise Towers
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Paradise Towers Views: 2243
     Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 02:10 AM EST

I watched Paradise Towers this week and if I ignore the poor design of the cleaning robots, which are neither menacing nor functional, this is a decent story. Urban decay taken to its extremes. This was much different from the latter Colin Baker stories. It is a marked improvement over Time and The Rani. It is amazing how the openning story of a season can color ones opinions.

Build high for happiness!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, March 15 2006 @ 10:10 PM EST
    Wow. No offense, but it's that kind of forgiving attitude that got the show cancelled. Better than Time and Rani isn't a particular goal to which one should aspire. That's like saying my goal for today is to breathe or to eat better. Of course you should do that. I won't deny there's something mildly interesting at the very core of the story--but only mildly. Never should've been actually greenlit for production. Especially for a production like that. One of the worst serials ever.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, March 15 2006 @ 11:41 PM EST

You did not see my other posts on this story stating that on my first viewing I hated this story, and it is only after reading "Script Doctor" did I try to view this story by looking at what actually is right with this story, as opposed to listing all its flaws. I am not saying that this is a masterpiece, but that their is a good script behind it, and tha tthe ideas are good; it just was let down by the production.

My forgiving attidude to a season 24 story in 2006 is not what got the show cancelled. The shows ratings and perceptions/misconceptions at the time (in the UK) is what got the show cancelled. Moving the program to a later time slot on a week night is what affected ratings the most.

My point was that Time and the Rani was of such poor quality, that even if Paradise Towers was a great atory, it would have been tainted by its predessessor.

Taras

Thursday, March 16 2006 @ 12:04 AM EST
    Points taken. But I think that you make a really good observation that can be generally applied to the McCoy era. Only after reading something else--be it an analysis or Script Doctor or Discontinuity Guide or whatever--does most of this era make sense. Neither Paradise Towers nor much of the whole McCoy era make a great deal of sense on first viewing. And that's what you really need for high ratings, more than anything else. If your audience can't follow you, they won't follow you.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, March 23 2006 @ 07:36 AM EST
    Not really a story I like to be honest.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 25 2006 @ 11:14 AM EST
    Paradise Towers stands out as one of the McCoy stores I can tolerate. I hate to sound so ambivalent but it's hard for me to point to any McCoy story that I really like. Maybe if I go back through my collection and watch them all again I might have a change of heart. Recently I started watching The Greatest Show in the Galaxy but I couldn't get beyond the first twenty minutes before I switched to something else. I need more lager.

I do own the DVD's of Remembrance of the Daleks, The Curse of Fenric, and Ghost Light. I don't mind McCoy's portrayal of the Doctor, with that added mystery. I think that like Colin Baker, he got saddled with bad scripts, a tired Producer, and little BBC support or enthusiasm.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 11:34 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]And that's what you really need for high ratings, more than anything else. If your audience can't follow you, they won't follow you.

Yes, but not only in the way you think.

Although I never counted in the ratings, I pretty much missed all of the actual viewing of certainly the later McCoy episodes. Relying on having the episodes recorded.

The main problem, for me anyway, was that DW was no longer on Saturday evenings. It was on a weeknight. And one that, at the time, I had my piano lessons on.
    In general, moving it from an everyone-is-in night to a schoolnight was mroe or less granting the show a death sentence.

As for Paradise Towers, I remember liking at the time. I also recall watching it in recent years and enjoying or - or at least appreciating the story behind it. I guess I'll have to give it a rewatch at some point.

Tiggs Panther - Learning the hard way that a working chameleon circuit is not useful in a crowded parking lot.

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 01:05 PM EDT
    Well I watched 4 Sylvester McCoy's on scraggly old VHS yesterday all in a row and Paradise Towers put me right to sleep. But I like being peacefully lulled into slumber by the soft casio-keyboard tunes of a boring episodeSmile

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 01:57 PM EDT
    Just this morning (taking advantage of a day off) I watched Battlefield and Survival (having watched the two shows between these a few weeks back) and I have to say I liked Battlefield but had a hard time buying an interdimensional King Arthur complete with space-travelling knights, but it was a pretty good show.

Loved Brigadier Bambera, but a sadly wasted character, the helicopter pilot, Lavel, was stunning, and her bits with the Brigadier (Stewart, not Bambera) were quite nice little touches of character.

It was one of those situations where, if the Brig hadn't been married, they'd probably have hit it off, despite the obvious age difference.

Played by Dotoa Rae... can't find much reference to her on the net. Sad. She's a lovely-looking actress.

What I didn't like was Survival, which had far too much post-processed video of tinted skies and such, though that's a good way to portray an alien world, especially with 1989 tech, but the Cheetah suits were a bit scruffy Cats to me, and with those cats riding horses, it was far too Planet of the Apes (although that was likely what they were aiming for). The plot was a bit on the silly side, but what absolutely turns me off of most of the later McCoy episodes is the bloody obtrusive electronic music!

While I love Ace (a bit too much perhaps) and I think McCoy is far too maligned by fans, as he actually made a pretty good Doctor, the music is practically unforgivable in this era. It sure made me miss the earlier incidental music, done by masters, not people with sledgehammers for fingers.

Oh well... it's all about taste, I guess.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 03:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Well I watched 4 Sylvester McCoy's on scraggly old VHS yesterday all in a row and Paradise Towers put me right to sleep. But I like being peacefully lulled into slumber by the soft casio-keyboard tunes of a boring episodeSmile

Funny, it had the exact same effect on me! It took a long time to get through it, thanks to its soporific effect on me.

--Joe!

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Tuesday, October 31 2006 @ 03:29 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    While I love Ace (a bit too much perhaps) and I think McCoy is far too maligned by fans, as he actually made a pretty good Doctor, the music is practically unforgivable in this era. It sure made me miss the earlier incidental music, done by masters, not people with sledgehammers for fingers.

Oh well... it's all about taste, I guess.
    Well I like neither Ace nor McCoy, particularly, but you're right on with the musical, um, note. If anyone out there is taking a film class and having to write a paper on the importance of music, you have only to look to the McCoy era for an excellent negative example. What complete and utter tosh it all is. In fairness, it's not just the McCoy era—I can point to stories, (like "Mawdryn Undead") in other eras that are pretty damned bad—but I'm not sure I can think of any other show, ever, that's had such bad music as Doctor Who from 1987-1989. A lot of times, it's not just a matter of instrumentation, which was bad enough. Even when you think about what the tunes might sound like if played by an orchestra, or just on single, real instruments, it strikes you that the base tune itself has no emotional resonance with the scene portrayed. Utterly horrible stuff.

Sunday, December 17 2006 @ 09:21 PM EST
    I watched this story late night last night on BBC Kids and didn't like it. It was my first McCoy experience - someone tell me there are better stories with him that this one, please!

Sunday, December 17 2006 @ 09:51 PM EST

The first season is a mixed bag. I feel that the last two seasons are stronger, with McCoy's third series being his best.

The visuals of this story really distract from the script. It is unfortunate, as the story could have been a strong one with some better visuals.

Taras

Tuesday, January 09 2007 @ 11:14 PM EST
    I'm intrigued by the venom many fans and writers have for McCoy these days because, if I recall correctly, in Doctor Who Magazine's annual reader poll at the end of Season 25, a big deal was made of the fact that McCoy had won the category of Favourite Doctor (or if not, come a very close second) and that it was the first time basically since Tom Baker left that anyone else had done that well.

But history definitely seems to have judged his performances, and not just the general production values of that era, very harshly.

Maybe it's an age gap thing. I remember loving McCoy as a kid, finding him not just dark and mysterious, but also a comforting presence (maybe in the way that Troughton was intended to be for the child audience when he was cast). I was totally oblivious to the pantomime aspects of his performance that are so distracting when I try to return to those old episodes again now...

Also, I guess being the Doctor when the series "died" probably didn't help his reputation in those quiet, intervening years.

Friday, February 16 2007 @ 09:28 AM EST
    He won in 1990--the only time aside from 2006 that anyone other than Tom Baker topped the chart. That puts his victory after season 26, not season 25.

I say that not to niggle, but because it's important. At the end of season 25 would've been slightly impressive. But this was after the show had been cancelled. I thus think it was just an act of solidarity. Basically, I believe it to have been a case of the readers saying, "Please don't stop making our show; we really like the actor you've just laid off."

But the thing is, they didn't really like him because he never won while the show was still in production, and he was immediately knocked off by Baker in 1991. Quite a different achievement than Tennant's victory, I think. I think Tennant is genuinely well-received by a wide cross-section of an expanding fan base. By contrast, McCoy was the mere standard-bearer of a dwindling community.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored