The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Just for Louis
    Just for Louis
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  A New Adventures Review Thread
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    A New Adventures Review Thread Views: 1618
     Monday, May 04 2009 @ 01:38 PM EDT
    I've managed to get hold of the first couple of NA novels, thanks to the wonderful (and much-maligned) world of eBay. So with me in a 'review mood', thanks to there being no full series this year, I've decided to bury my head in these novels. I'm going to try my best to review them all. I'm going to use all my trading 'skills' to get hold of the others. Oh dear!

For those who don't know, the books where a continuation of the series that ended in 1989. For more info click here.

Anyway, a couple of quid (plus P+P) goes a long way in the cyber shopping place (which turned out to be an irony considering the nature of the first villain in these books) so the first four, all linked by one story - the Timewyrm series, was snapped up by yours truly.

Goodness knows what I’m going to do when I get to the rare and expensive ones! And on that note - some of the books are available as e-books here but I just prefer the thing to be in my hands tbh!

So first up is Timewyrm Genesys by John Peel

And I’m going to try and keep these as spoiler-free as I can, so apologises if some of the reviews seem a little vague and if they contain spelling mistakes (actually that is my fault!)

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, May 04 2009 @ 01:53 PM EDT
    I'll look forward to your thoughts. I love the NAs! Some of them are just spectacular!

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Monday, May 04 2009 @ 02:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee] I'll look forward to your thoughts. I love the NAs! Some of them are just spectacular!

Cheers, i've only read one and I love them already!

Timewyrm: Genesys By John Peel

From the start, the novel puts you on the wrong foot, as an alien crash-lands on Earth, in Mesopotamia (which is now modern-day Iraq) around 2700BC. The alien is injured and attracts the attention of Gilgamesh, king of the city of Uruk. He refuses her and she swears revenge.

Meanwhile, The Doctor has ‘accidently’ removed all of Ace’s memories, whilst attempting to get rid of some of his own (‘to make more room inside my head’). It’s an interesting concept, as the Ace without her memory detests the way she was. Sadly, it’s all fixed soon enough, just after a visit from a ‘temporal projection’ of the Fourth Doctor, who warns his future incarnation of a ‘Timewrym’.

From then on, it’s a surprisingly enjoyable read! From the outset, I was expecting a long and drawn out, boring novel. But the chapters are short and the action changes very quickly, from being fast paced to building up the story, character by character. The Doctor and Ace are well realised and you could see this story working well on a Big Finish audio!

The characters, within the novel, are well drawn and the way they speak and their interactions with the Doctor and Ace, are just as you would imagine them to be. The locals believe anything alien ‘must be a god’, so its funny reading about Ace dropping some Nitro-Nine or anything the Doctor says, being thought of as ‘divine’.

Like most Doctor Who historicals - you learn a lot about history too! I didn’t know about the ‘legend of Gilgamesh’ before, but its something that I’ll look up, thanks to the book. One aspect of the book that I thought was disappointing was that about halfway through, they turn the king into a ‘comic relief’-type character. I thought he served a better purpose being more serious and threatening. I would have also liked to have seen Ace going through the story without her memory. This would have been an interesting development in her character and whether or not she could trust the Doctor.

I don’t think it’s a major spoiler in telling you that the alien who crash-landed turns out to be the main villain, a cybernetic organism who goes through many complicated ways to keep herself alive. Yes, it’s very 80’s Doctor Who, although thankfully – not as confusing as GhostLight! And speaking of that serial – there are plenty of mentions and nods to those later stories, just to give the book more of a ‘feel’ to it. Including a Neanderthal, who reminds both Ace and the Doctor of Nimrod (GhostLight). I would suggest that you go back and watch the 7th Doctor era, if you’re not really ‘up on it’, though. It is rather continuity-heavy

Overall, it’s a cracking start to the series, the book doesn’t try to do anything special or daft to try and impress, I just think it’s a well-written story that was too expensive to do on television! Because that’s what it was, surely? Wink

4/5

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Monday, May 04 2009 @ 03:44 PM EDT
    Wow. Well if you like Genesys then this will be very positive. I think this book is an ok start. I do not rate it as highly as you do, but I am not a fan of Peel's writing. But its definitely serviceable and was a fun romp!

Can't wait to hear what you think of Exodus.

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 11:07 AM EDT
    What 'til you get to the 4th book (and conclusion of the "Timewyrm" saga) - "Timewyrm: Revelation".

There are many references to look back upon and appearances from each Doctor. Now that is something to look for.

BTW: There will be one more appearance of the Timewyrm in the book "Happy Endings". It will come later in the book series.

I found a website that has a listing of all the "Doctor Who" books including a listing for the virgin publications. Here is a link to that site:

Arrow Doctor Who Books: Checklist

Hope you find this helpful.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 11:51 AM EDT
    Cheers T. I'm already about halfway through the second book and i'm loving it so far. I think i'm going to regret reviewing all the books - i'm going to sound like a gushing fan who loves everything about Doctor Who. Which isn't true, btw! Wink

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 02:00 PM EDT
    Well, you've inspired me to read the first book, Colin. So I'll have to avoid your review until I've done so!
    More money down the gapingly huge (and getting huger) Doctor Who shaped hole! Confused

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 05:09 PM EDT
    I, too, loved the first book. I actually met John Peel after having spoken to him on the phone many times. He is a very nice man. I do like his writing and his books. Not being a big fan of the last few seasons of the show (From TRIAL on...) at the time, I was not overjoyed that the series was now stuck with THIS Doctor and THIS companion. Truth is, I liked the McCoy Doctor probably least of all of them but I still did like him. I didn't like, at the time, most of his stories including GHOSTLIGHT and CURSE OF FENRIC. I've since changed my opinion about both of them but as I'm coming up to them (In a few months?) we shall see.

Anyway, the story moved along and represented a time zone not visited yet and to me, it seemed like a time travel show again by going into and using the past. Yes, it is 80's DW but it's the good parts of it. I wasn't sure about the arc of the TimeWyrm but I liked it and I liked how it went across four or five books. Ace? Whatever. Never could stand her in the series and again, I have changed my mind about this and her (still I can't bare her in the awful DRAGONFIRE). I just don't thnk she's a very likable, personable, or realistic character, at least at that time. To me she just grated.

Anyway, my recall is not great but I do recall the Doctor running around with a topless female from that time; a strange underground city or spaceship; and lots of action. I liked this book and hoped that they would continue in this vein. After the first ten books or so, I could see that it wasn't. I almost , NO, actually I did give up on the book series sometime around book 17 or so, THE HIGHEST SCIENCE. I almost didn't buy it. I didn't buy it but then went and sought it out.

I just lost ALL interest in DW at that time. There were two female companions I could not relate to. Benny was like a poor female version of INDIANA JONES and she was more into drinking than adventures and again, so far removed from reality that she just bored me at the time. I found with the audios she came more alive for me. Ace: still a dysfunctional mess who allowed the Doctor to use her and she seemed more like a warrior and a bully. In fact, in one novel, she and the Doctor were barely given personalities. Then there were the convoluted plots that I couldn't really follow. Guest characters that were mostly criminals or shifty. AND a Doctor who was a manipulative bastard. I think at the time BLAKE'S 7 was popular so they turned the Doctor and surrounding characters into cold hearted bastards who manipulate others and use weapons and think nothing of killing or causing killing or death.

Now looking back, now that I know it would change (thank God for Paul's Doctor), I see that there was a niche for this long drawn out type of thing and that there is some merit in it. However, it was less and less like a fun entertaining adventure and more like a chore to follow the New Adventures. Fortunately along the way to the end, LUNGBARROW, there were many, many great books.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 07:07 PM EDT
    Great review mate but...

[Quote  by:  Chase] Benny was like a poor female version of INDIANA JONES and she was more into drinking than adventures

I can't have that - she's my dream woman! Razz

Wednesday, May 06 2009 @ 11:37 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase]
    Ace? Whatever. Never could stand her in the series and again, I have changed my mind about this and her (still I can't bare her in the awful DRAGONFIRE). I just don't thnk she's a very likable, personable, or realistic character, at least at that time. To me she just grated.

Some good came out of "Dragonfire" - Mel (Bonnie Langford) left the show. That almost made it bearable. Wink

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 07 2009 @ 05:01 PM EDT
    Mel (at the height of her worst) and Ace (at the start of her worst and really really awful here) together were just...totally awful. Thank goodness we had Glitz to even out the terriblness in the companion roles. Ace truly is horrid in this. Mel truly is horrid in this. The two together...can you imagine it if Ace stayed this obnoxious (and trust me IMO she came close to staying this way) and Mel remained with the show? It would have been the worst duo since...the Master was played by ..oh never mind. Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 08 2009 @ 08:07 AM EDT
    Back on to the NA's please?

Timewyrm: Exodus by Terrance Dicks

[GUSHING FANBOY]

‘Timewyrm: Exodus’ is a very intriguing read indeed! Set over four different time-periods, the novel sees The Doctor and Ace trying to put history back on course - as they land in a time where the Nazi’s won the Second World War and have control of Britain!

Veteran Doctor Who-stalwart Terrance Dicks paints an excellent picture of what it may have been like if things hadn’t gone the way we know. Each time period is described in vivid detail and the action flows fluently. He goes to great lengths in explaining what had happened in the altnerterne history and even why people’s emotions and reactions towards the Reich had (or had to) changed You’ll struggle to put the book down for a while, take it from someone who (doesn’t have a life, yeah I know) read it in barely two days!

We pick up from where Genesys left off, with The Doctor and Ace tracking the Timewyrm. Although as the novel goes on, we are constantly being twisted and turned in the direction of whether or not it was the Timewyrm that had changed history, or perhaps, it was someone else?

This novel has a number of historical characters that you’ll probably recognise, although I feel that they are very formulaic in how they are portrayed. I would like to have seen a different ‘spin’ on them, to be honest.

There is also a link to a Patrick Troughton story but that’s all I’m going to say! Trying to write this and avoiding spoilers is very hard you know! If I may have been a bit generous with Genesys, I’m not going to be with this one! It’s a top read and you won’t be disappointed.

5/5

[/GUSHING FANBOY]

Saturday, May 09 2009 @ 12:11 PM EDT
    I totally agree with your review. I really, literally, couldn't put it down. I was so happy the NAs were going this way. Lots of action,lot of moving around time, time involved, historical figures that weren't just there as dressing. The Doctor kept me guessing at what he was doing! A very, very good novel.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 10 2009 @ 11:27 AM EDT
    Timewyrm: Apocalypse by Nigel Robinson

We are treated to our first ‘off world’ adventure in the third instalment of the New Adventures series, as The Doctor and Ace’s relentless search for the Timewyrm continues.

The pair find themselves on the planet of Kirith, whose residents seem perfect. Everything is provided for them by a mysterious order known as the ‘Panjistri’, who in return only ask for the opportunity to recruit the most talented Kirithons into their order. But something seems wrong, The Doctor keeps slipping into his second incarnation's persona and Ace believes he’s hiding something, about his knowledge of the planet. Add to that, the fact that those Kirithons chosen by the Panjistri are never seen again and forgotten by friends and family, then Ace is right to have her suspicious!

I did find my interest slipping in and out whilst reading this novel. Not that it’s terrible, I just didn’t like the story being constantly broken up with flashbacks to the Second Doctor and the Timewyrm. It spoiled what was otherwise a decent book by Nigel Robinson. His characters were realised very well but the story was just too reference-heavy. These are supposed to be NEW adventures after all!

The plot isn’t that difficult to work out but you get the feeling that it’s trying too hard to match the weirdness of the later McCoy television stories. The more critical fan in you can spot plot holes and ask those ‘WHY’ or ‘WHATS THE POINT IN THAT?’ questions. But I won’t, naturally!

It’s a decent read but it simply doesn’t leave any impression on you at all. I enjoyed reading Genesys and Exodus and I can remember most of those plots. With Apocalypse, I can’t think of any part of it which makes the story memorable. And’s that’s what ultimately makes a good book stand out. But if you’re looking for a good character piece, then this delivers in bucket-loads!

2/5

Sunday, May 10 2009 @ 12:36 PM EDT
    Yeah, I liked this one too. Isn't this the one set at the "almost end of the universe"? It had atmosphere, a scary setting just to be at the end of the universe, and an out of control Doctor who, unless I"m way wrong, is a bastard and sacrificing people. There's also a big bloated but very dangerous monster in a tank, isn't there?

And I do like characterization and didn't feel there were too many past references, certainly not as much as the one with Hitler and one of the Doctor's own.

Also if you were Ace, wouldnt you have already wanted to leave the Doc after what he does to her/you in this story?

I thought this one was very memorable to be honest so I did like it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored