The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Misc Figurines
    Misc Figurines
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  Rememberence of the Daleks
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Rememberence of the Daleks Views: 2501
     Friday, January 06 2006 @ 04:03 AM EST
    I just started watching this - it's been a good few years since I last watched it (probably with my brother cowering behind a cushion asking for Coronation Street to be put on instead!).

There is a fantastic in-joke that I was too young to notice/appreciate when I first watched it:

Ace is in a B&B or something and swtiches on the telly. After it has warmed up there is a BBC logo and the announcer says something (along the lines of) "And now for another episode of the long running BBC Sci-Fi series Doc-" and the scene cuts away - BRILLIANT!!! Laughing Out Loud

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 06 2006 @ 08:17 AM EST
    That episode is so packed with references that I lost track.

That's a good one, of course.

But my favorite part of this episode was that in the middle of this fun show was a great scene obviously designed to ensure that nostalgists don't go around thinking "Ah, it was all so much better back then."

Ace is in the B&B and turns over a sign saying "No Coloreds".

Wow. They just didn't have to put that in, but they did.

That was incredible.

Add that to the appearance of Geoffrey (from "Fresh Prince of Bellair") to counterpoint the issue of racism in the UK (and the world) in the 1960s.

That's one of the reasons I consider this one of the best Who episodes, and certainly McCoy's best.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, January 06 2006 @ 12:19 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse] After it has warmed up there is a BBC logo and the announcer says something (along the lines of) "And now for another episode of the long running BBC Sci-Fi series Doc-" and the scene cuts away - BRILLIANT!!! Laughing Out Loud

They did not use "long running" for this was a homage to the first transmission of Doctor Who in November 1963, as this story was the "25th anniversary special". I'm not sure if they used the original continuity announcement, or a recreation. I wonder if the Beginning box set will have this?

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, January 06 2006 @ 01:21 PM EST
    I received this episode for Christmas. It'll be the first Sylvester McCoy episode I've ever seen. So far, I've watched the first couple of minutes and was instantly embarrassed by Ace's huge ghetto blaster. Yikes, I knew this was an 80's era episode, but I didn't expect it to be that firmly rooted in the 80's...

Neil

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Friday, January 06 2006 @ 02:05 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  That Neil Guy] I ... was instantly embarrassed by Ace's huge ghetto blaster.

And you can contrast that to the small transistor radio used by Susan in An Unearthly Child. Companions..., harumph! Smile

Taras

Saturday, January 07 2006 @ 02:25 AM EST
    That Neil Guy - you won't be disappointed! It's a great set of episodes. McCoy is very funny and although it's dated a bit, it isn't too bad. Infact, most of the special effects don't look bad at all.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 07 2006 @ 03:27 AM EST
    I find McCoy, in general, is really underated as a Doctor... he has quite a few good eps.

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Saturday, January 07 2006 @ 08:54 AM EST
    warrenpeace, I also thought that McCoy was underrated. He had lots of good stories, (well, he didn't have lots of stories at all, but what he did have were pretty good). I liked the warmth he brought to the role. After Colin Baker's doctor's apparant disdain for all things below his elevated logic, including his companions, McCoy had a real onscreen fondness for Ace most of the time. I was watching Curse of Fenric recently, and he and Ace are listening in on a room and McCoy turns to Ace and makes a funny face then smiles warmly at her. You can feel his affection. Something tells me that this was not scripted, that it was just McCoy being McCoy. It was refreshing after years of "know it all" doctors.

Heath Holland

Saturday, January 07 2006 @ 09:14 AM EST
    Oh, it's obvious McCoy had affection for Aldred. In a kind of older uncle kind of way perhaps...

But perhaps not. Watch the extras in "Ghost Light" and you can see they're quite friendly between takes.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, January 08 2006 @ 02:18 AM EST
    In Rememberence of the Daleks when Ace is upset that she has to stay in and miss the action, the Doctor puts his hand on her shoulder to reassure her. I loved the dynamic between them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 08 2006 @ 11:54 AM EST

Rememberence of the Daleks, in my opinion was a turning point for the McCoy era. I thought that the first season's stories were weak. It was either the script, or the tone of the interpretations by the production, but I did not feel that Season 24 boded well for Doctor Who. McCoy's second season was a step in the right direction, but the Candyman... Oops! was an embarassment. Though some of the stories of Season 26 were a bit dense, they were much better than Season 24, and the season was most consistant of the era. I liked the way Sylvestor McCoy settled into his role. Alas, this wasn't enough to keep the general public watching, or grow the audience. Actually, the last season lost about a million viewer from the previous year, which was the nail in the coffin for the program.

Taras

Sunday, January 08 2006 @ 12:48 PM EST
    I'm really looking forward to finally viewing it (despite the ghetto blaster). I've read so many interesting comments about McCoy's Doctor that I'm eager to see him for myself. So far I have heard one Big Finish with McCoy, so I've been able to get a small sense of him there, and also read one novel (Algebra of Ice) with his Doctor and, again, it only served to intrigue me more. I think I'll enjoy McCoy when I finally start seeing his episodes -- especially if I just stick with dvd releases and completely avoid his first season...

Neil

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 08 2006 @ 02:18 PM EST

I enjoyed watching Time and the Rani even though the story had quite a few holes. Some of the effects were good for its time. I hated Paradise Towers on first viewing, and haven't gone back to it. This may actually be better than my memory allows me to believe. It is just that the realization of the actual menace was poor, and not very believable. I may give this one another go to see if I can overlook that element and enjoy the story. Delta and the Bannermen was a runaround that I didn't get the point of on first viewing and Dragonfire had some interesting elements that didn't seem to gel. Maybe too much was left on the cutting room floor. I was always confused by that famous literal cliff hanger, as there seemed to be no point for it, other than having a cliffhanger. For some, the reason for not watching this season is blamed on the Doctor's companion. Mel is probably one of fandom's least favorite companions. For others it is the nonsensical plot elements that seem to pervade this season. But I would not dismiss this season totally. Most fans opinions, especially my own, were colored by our expectations for the series after its resurrection from "hiatus". This was a very difficult time, as Trial of a Time Lord was not the success most had hoped for. The most telling barometer was the drop of, on average, two and a quarter million viewers from the prior season. McCoy's first season actually showed a marginal uptick in the viewership figures over Colin Baker's last season.

That first season may not be a good introduction to the seventh Doctor, but I would not dismiss it off-hand. At least it didn't have the Candyman. Smile

Taras

Sunday, January 15 2006 @ 10:57 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    I enjoyed watching Time and the Rani even though the story had quite a few holes. Some of the effects were good for its time. I hated Paradise Towers on first viewing, and haven't gone back to it. This may actually be better than my memory allows me to believe. It is just that the realization of the actual menace was poor, and not very believable. I may give this one another go to see if I can overlook that element and enjoy the story. Delta and the Bannermen was a runaround that I didn't get the point of on first viewing and Dragonfire had some interesting elements that didn't seem to gel. Maybe too much was left on the cutting room floor. I was always confused by that famous literal cliff hanger, as there seemed to be no point for it, other than having a cliffhanger. For some, the reason for not watching this season is blamed on the Doctor's companion. Mel is probably one of fandom's least favorite companions. For others it is the nonsensical plot elements that seem to pervade this season. But I would not dismiss this season totally. Most fans opinions, especially my own, were colored by our expectations for the series after its resurrection from "hiatus". This was a very difficult time, as Trial of a Time Lord was not the success most had hoped for. The most telling barometer was the drop of, on average, two and a quarter million viewers from the prior season. McCoy's first season actually showed a marginal uptick in the viewership figures over Colin Baker's last season.

That first season may not be a good introduction to the seventh Doctor, but I would not dismiss it off-hand. At least it didn't have the Candyman. Smile

Taras

I agree Tara. McCoy's first season was a mixed bag, but is is fun to watch as its one of the campiest seasons of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed McCoy's Doctor, and even though he had episodes such as "Paradise Towers", if anything you can just sit back and chuckle. It's the perfect episode to MST3K while you watch.

As for the comment about Mel, you are spot on. She was truly grating.

Cyn

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 17 2006 @ 07:16 PM EST
    I'm quite fond of this episode, especially that scene in the tea shop where the Doctor is mulling over consequences of seemingly inconsequencial actions.

There are a lot of good moments in this story.

I agree Sylv's totally underrated. I dunno why McCoy gets so much flack (especially over on Outpost Gallifrey where you can't even breath the guy's name without having the resident anti-McCoy Greek Chorus show up to screech about how much they hate him), other than the fact that his first season was a bit shakey and the sets were sometimes bad.

He had a lot of really good stories, though: Rememberence of the Daleks, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric, Battlefield, Greatest Show in the Galaxy (a personal favorite of mine), and even The Happiness Patrol was written quite well, even if the costumes were yuck.

Guess there's just no pleasing some people though. I've noticed that generally the people who hate him the most are the ones with the least imagination. The ones who've totally forgotten everything about what being a child is like, if you catch my drift. Poor sad things.

"File under 'Imagination comma Lack Of:'"

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed