The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Outside my TARDIS Zipperdrobe
    Outside my TARDIS Zipperdrobe
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Peter Davison Era »  Circular Time
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Circular Time Views: 1221
     Tuesday, January 30 2007 @ 12:26 AM EST
    While 2006 was a somewhat lackluster year at Big Finish, depending on whom you speak to, I have to vigorously suggest that you pick up the first release of 2007, "Circular Time".

Honestly, I'm not quite sure I've had so pleasing an experience with a Big Finish audio, well, ever. Not only is it a completely new format for the line—being four separate adventures all around a central theme—it's perhaps the purest distillation of the characters of the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa yet available in any medium.

It's kinda hard to talk about what makes this such a great release without spoiling the effect of it entirely, so I'll just say that you should avoid all descriptions and reviews, and listen to it as unaware of what's to follow as is possible.

Even those who are mild about the Fifth Doctor, and who view Nyssa as a particularly useless companion, will, I think be surprised by how much they enjoy this one . . .

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 30 2007 @ 03:23 AM EST
    I'm glad you posted this brief review DarthSkeptical. I was thinking about buying this but wasn't sure because of the new format. I'll put an order in and get myself a copy.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 30 2007 @ 06:23 AM EST
    Well that's good to hear. So many of BF's stories of late have been ... uh... stupid.

Really looking forward to something more Doctor Who-like from them.

Sounds like this may be it.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 05:45 AM EST
    Well my copy has just arrived!

Hopefully I'll get chance to listen to it soon but quite often my 'audios' sit about for a while as I like to ensure I can sit down and just listen to take it all in and enjoy the 'theatre of the mind' with no distractions.

If it's rubbish I blame you Darth!!! Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 09:34 AM EST
    And of course I'll happily take the blame Smile

But don't do so before checking out episode 33 of the Whocast, which is co-hosted by Mike Maddox, the co-author of "Circular Time".

BE WARNED, THOUGH: DO NOT CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK WITHOUT FIRST HAVING HEARD "CIRCULAR TIME". It's so, so much better going into it unspoiled.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 09:41 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] And of course I'll happily take the blame Smile

But don't do so before checking out episode 33 of the Whocast, which is co-hosted by Mike Maddox, the co-author of "Circular Time".

I've got episode 33 queued to listen to but haven't yet - should I hold back from listening to it (or at least that part) until I've heard Circular Time? Is it spoiler free?

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 07:57 PM EST
    It's spoiler-full. It's a no-holds-barred interview/gushfest with the author, principally focusing on all the things about "Circular Time" that the show's hosts liked.

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 08:43 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] no-holds-barred interview/gushfest

That sounds like an oxymoron—maybe no-spoilers-barred? Smile

P.S. I also recommend Circular Time as a breath of fresh air to the line!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 04:55 AM EST
    I've just finished listening to this and....

...WOW!!

I agree totally with what DarthSkeptical said, it is a wonderful piece of work! I especially liked the last part and the 'nods' to other aspects of Doctor Who, like the Doctor quoting the Third Doctor. Normally I sell on my Audios once I’ve listened to them so they can fund the next one, but this defiantly a ‘keeper’

Spoilers:-
    [I really didn't know what to make of the last part to start with but it drew me right in. I quickly realised that the man in the snow must be watcher but as we know about the 5th Doctors regeneration I was worried the story would pan out to be 'parallel world version of the Doctor'. I loved the fact it was the Doctor's mind connecting with his past companions, it made it feel that this always happens in some form during regeneration, we're just not aware of it. I also liked the fact the watcher was there as well as other aspects of the fifth Doctor's time.

This could almost be a final episode for the 5th Doctor a Nyssa as it seemed to tie everything together, I haven’t looked in to this any deeper but I hope it isn’t their last outing.

I guess this is the beauty of audio, I think this (in some form) would make a great TV episode but I doubt we’d see something like this on the screen?
    ]

I’m off to listen to the Whocast Episode 33 now.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 06:12 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] I've just finished listening to this and....

...WOW!!

I agree totally with what DarthSkeptical said, it is a wonderful piece of work! I especially liked the last part and the 'nods' to other aspects of Doctor Who, like the Doctor quoting the Third Doctor. Normally I sell on my Audios once I’ve listened to them so they can fund the next one, but this defiantly a ‘keeper’
    I'm really glad you liked it, as I would've felt bad had I influenced you to exchange money for something you felt to be rubbish.

Although details aren't currently out on the other Davison plays this year, this isn't the final Davison/Sutton pairing. (But if it were, it'd be a great one to end the relationship on.) March 30th sees the release of "Renaissance of the Daleks", which, though officially unconfirmed by Big Finish as of this writing, does co-star Sutton.

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 07:28 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]I'm really glad you liked it, as I would've felt bad had I influenced you to exchange money for something you felt to be rubbish.

Although details aren't currently out on the other Davison plays this year, this isn't the final Davison/Sutton pairing. (But if it were, it'd be a great one to end the relationship on.) March 30th sees the release of "Renaissance of the Daleks", which, though officially unconfirmed by Big Finish as of this writing, does co-star Sutton.

Don't worry - I was going to buy this one anyway as I'm a huge 5th Doctor fan, your posting just 'motivated' me to get it sooner.

I do now recall reading about "Renaissance of the Daleks" in DWM.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 08:17 AM EST
    Sigh... some parts were good, others more of the same in-the-doctor's-brain bull* that I'm completely sick to the teeth of.

When will Big Finish stop setting stories entirely in some netherworld of the imagination or inside an alternate universe created just inside the Doctor's mind, or some crap nonsense like that?

I want them to start writing Doctor Who stories again, not extistential drivel.

(Gee, Sean, why not tell us what you really think?) :-)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 08:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    (Gee, Sean, why not tell us what you really think?) :-)

God Damn it man!!! Get off the fence and tell us what you thought of it!!!

Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 19 2007 @ 09:13 AM EST
    I have to say that Mike Maddox was great fun to have on the show and the story of Circular Time was brilliant. We weren't just paying lip service on the story, it was somthing that I have listened to 3 times now just noticing new things.

I strongly suggest people go check it out at www.bigfinish.com

Regards,
    Paul

A man is the sum of his memories, a Time Lord even more so...

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored