The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 13
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 13
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  Renaissance Of The Daleks
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Renaissance Of The Daleks Views: 887
     Tuesday, April 17 2007 @ 08:50 PM EDT
    Hello All,

After updating my own web site ( a lambaste of CNN's navel fluff obsession over Don Imus) I have now written my review for the latest Big Finish and have submitted it to Louis for posting.

I hope that you enjoy it.

Bob

Forget the shooty dog thing!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, April 17 2007 @ 10:48 PM EDT
    i liked seeing don imus's career go poof!

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 17 2007 @ 11:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Justice] i liked seeing don imus's career go poof!

Well I got bored after the 73rd day of coverage on cnnSmile

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Friday, April 20 2007 @ 02:23 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]

it beats hearing about ann nichole smith and her baby!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 20 2007 @ 06:03 AM EDT
    I'm intrigued by notes given on the Whocast about this play. I'd love to see the original script for this thing, to see how much less comprehensible it would have been in its original state.

This is definitely the Bidmead of "Castrovalva" rather then the superior Bidmead of "Frontios". If you really got into the themes and subtexts of "Castrovalva", you'll probably quite enjoy it, but I really had to struggle with it, myself. It's taken me a week of force-feeding to get this one past the ol' gag reflex. Still not quite sure if I could walk someone through the plot.

Most of the guest stars were realllllllly quite atrocious. I think, in fact, the only two characters I thought were interesting were the Doctor and Grailish; the rest of the acting/characterization ranged from passable to downright awful.

I think it feels like a Fifth Doctor story, but from around season 19 or 20 when things were bad enough to make Davison resign.

Still, it was better than "Resurrection of the Daleks", which really ain't saying a whole lot. Frankly, I'd almost rather have spent the last week reviewing "Time Flight".

All that said, I don't think its biggest weakness was its science, which typically hurt Bidmead in his televised episodes. I think it's rather that stupid coded message the Doctor sends in part 3. Absolutely nonsensical. How anyone could glean enough information to fly the TARDIS out of the Doctor singing "Three Blind Mice" is entirely ludicrous. Seriously awful device.

The use of the Daleks was interesting in a tag line sort of a way. But when forced to work out the logic of their use, I was definitely disappointed.

Nyssa's used very like she used to be during the Bidmead era. Which is to say, "not meaningfully at all". This is a serious step backwards from "Circular Time", "The Game", and "Spare Parts". We're just back to "Nerd Nyssa", here. "Stuck for bandwidth", indeed, Nyssa!

This one's about a 1 TARDIS groan for me, and that only cause of two points. First, I like the idea of a human military body asking a lot of hard questions about the Doctor's use of time travel. Sadly, all those questions were rendered entirely moot by the story's resolution—but at least they were asked. Second, I give it a single groan really because something inside me can't give a Davison performance anything less. It's hardly fair, but had this been a McCoy, even the interesting dialogue between the General and the Doctor wouldn't have saved this thing from a big, fat 0.

This was highly experimental Doctor Who gone distressingly awry. Recommended only if you're a classic era fan of seasons 18-26. Not at all recommended for those who found their way to Doctor Who via the new series, or through seasons 1-17.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, April 20 2007 @ 10:53 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Frankly, I'd almost rather have spent the last week reviewing "Time Flight".

Be careful what you wish for... Play.com is reporting Teagan Tales is coming, which contains Time Flight!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, April 20 2007 @ 03:49 PM EDT
    I've listened to probably 90% of Big Finish's main range and this story is awful. Just awful.
    Terrible guest cast in a dull and confusing storyline that feels like a two-parter stretched out to fill four parts.
    I pity anyone who listens to this as their first Big Finish.
    Frown

Bollocks...sir.

Saturday, April 21 2007 @ 03:46 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] I've listened to probably 90% of Big Finish's main range and this story is awful. Just awful.
    Terrible guest cast in a dull and confusing storyline that feels like a two-parter stretched out to fill four parts.
    I pity anyone who listens to this as their first Big Finish.
    Frown

Can't wait to break the seal and listen to mine then!

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Sunday, April 22 2007 @ 02:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Justice]
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]

it beats hearing about ann nichole smith and her baby!!

And i felt that the whole don imus thing was a relevant issue on the freedom of speech in America

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed