The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Mark Strickson at Fab Cafe
    Mark Strickson at Fab Cafe
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The William Hartnell Era »  List Of Companions
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    List Of Companions Views: 1367
     Saturday, February 11 2006 @ 06:57 AM EST
    Susan 'Foreman': Pre-An Unearthly Child to The Dalek Invasion Of Earth, The Five Doctors
    Sir Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright: An Unearthly Child to The Chase
    Vicki: The Rescue to The Myth Makers
    Steven Taylor: The Chase to The Savages
    Dorothea 'Dodo' Chaplet: The Massacre to The War Machines
    Polly and Ben Jackson: The War Machines to The Faceless Ones

I am the Master, and you will obey me. You will obey me.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 23 2006 @ 07:51 AM EST
    I believe that in some circles, there was one other character that was sort of considered as a companion: Sara Kingdom. Although she only appeared in the Dalek Masterplan, I think that due to the enormous length of that serial she was considered an official companion - and, along with Katarina, Adric, and Kamelion - one of only 4 to die (Katarina dying in the same story in fact). Now why her and not Bret or any of the other characters from that serial I am not sure, as it is unavailable for viewing.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 23 2006 @ 08:36 AM EST

I think Bret Vyon did not get to travel in the TARDIS. It's been a while since I've listened to The Daleks' Master Plan, so I'm not 100% sure.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, March 08 2006 @ 03:26 PM EST
    I think that a character would have to survive until at least the next serial to be considered a companion otherwise there would be hundreds of characters that adventured with the Doctor within stories.

As for the traveling in the TARDIS rule I also think the above should apply since I seem to remember a story where a bunch of people jumped into the TRADIS to escape a blowing up ship/planet and I don't think they'd all be companions!

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Wednesday, March 08 2006 @ 08:14 PM EST
    Well, I consider This BBC Companion Page to be more or less difinitive.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, March 08 2006 @ 09:17 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Well, I consider This BBC Companion Page to be more or less difinitive.

"Brilliant, brainy and beautiful..."

How can this be definitive if they don't include brawny?

Also, the omission of Bret Vyon I can handle, but Sara Kingdom?

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, March 08 2006 @ 10:08 PM EST
    That page looks good to me. All the regs are represented nicely... even AdricRazz

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Saturday, December 23 2006 @ 08:35 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Well, I consider This BBC Companion Page to be more or less difinitive.

Sean.
    There's certainly nothing wrong with this approach. It's simple enough. But I gotta wonder what standard they used to judge whether a person was a companion or not. Had they left Grace off the list, I would have said they had a minimum qualification of "must be in two stories". But her inclusion, whilst denying Sara, makes little sense on the face of it. I mean, I guess ya gotta give the Eigth Doctor someone, but, really, Grace outright refused to be his companion.

Maybe the threshold was the nature of the contract given to the performer. I gather there was some option in Ashbrook's contract for her to return, if the telemovie had gone to series. Marsh was never contracted for anything but a few weeks' work.

[Quote  by:  WarrenPeace]
    As for the traveling in the TARDIS rule . . .

I dunno where this hoary old chestnut came from. That was never a "rule", otherwise Liz Shaw and Mike Yates couldn't qualify. Hell, Jo wouldn't have qualified when she was first hired. You could maybe argue that a companion must at least know that the TARDIS is a time-travelling device that's bigger on the inside than out, though. But then you're stuck with what to do about Chang Lee, and, to an extent, Adam.

Again, I think it comes down to whatever the BBC, or the production team, believes. I don't think Adam counts as a companion, personally, despite having travelled in the TARDIS, and probably understanding more deeply than Rose what the TARDIS was. He was a guest star, delivering a very specific plot point—not a recurring character.

Now, if you were asking me whom I believed were companions, I'd have to lump Jackie in there, too. She was meant to be a continuing part of the larger narrative, she understood what the TARDIS was as well as any "stupid ape", and, though I don't think it's a necessary pre-qualifier, she did take a trip, ultimately.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, December 24 2006 @ 12:48 PM EST
    Just to add a little more confusion to the mix, back in 1983 the BBC published a Doctor Who 20th Anniversary Special that was distributed in the States by Starlog Press. It was a sort-of oversized magazine with the first five Doctors and introducing Colin Baker as number six. In it was an article A-Z of the Doctor's Companions, compiled by Gay Search. In it, Sara Kingdom is listed as a companion. Additionally, the book Doctor Who A Celebration: Two Decades Through Time and Space by Peter Haining also has Sara Kingdom listed as one of the companions.

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 02:18 AM EDT
    You forgot Katarina, though her time was shortlived just like Sara Kingdom. From The Myth Makers to The Daleks' Masterplan.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages