The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    John Barrowman
    John Barrowman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Club Matters »  How do we get the word out
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    How do we get the word out Views: 1141
     Sunday, July 15 2007 @ 05:25 PM EDT
    We just had our Club bar-b-que on Saturday, we are the British TV & Film Club of Calgary, Alberta Canada. At the end of the meet, we talked about how to get the word out that we exist. I found out about the club through Podshock, when I lissioned to episode 35 and the interview with Mike Dorin. This made me go out to DWIN's WEB page, which had a link to the club.

When I got home on Saturday, I sent an Email to the CBC asking if a link could be placed on their Doctor Who page to the clubs across Canada. Or at least put a link to DWIN's WEB page, which has links to all the clubs.

Any sugestions?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 15 2007 @ 06:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  macguffincanada] We just had our Club bar-b-que on Saturday, we are the British TV & Film Club of Calgary, Alberta Canada. At the end of the meet, we talked about how to get the word out that we exist. I found out about the club through Podshock, when I lissioned to episode 35 and the interview with Mike Dorin. This made me go out to DWIN's WEB page, which had a link to the club.

When I got home on Saturday, I sent an Email to the CBC asking if a link could be placed on their Doctor Who page to the clubs across Canada. Or at least put a link to DWIN's WEB page, which has links to all the clubs.

Any sugestions?

Hi Macguffin!

There is already quite a prominent link to DWIN on the CBC Doctor Who site. It's right there on the front page underneath the "Adventures in Time and Space..." blurb. There is also content on the CBC site the is provided to them each week by DWIN. This includes information on each new episode as part of a news feed.

http://www.cbc.ca/doctorwho/

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 15 2007 @ 06:38 PM EDT
    Well why is nobody finding out about the British TV & Film Club in Calgary? When Tony Watts introduces me to members of the club, he say's so as "he's the first new blood we've have in years".

I say going on the local CBC radio station in Calgary, is the the best way to advertise our selves. Can you help?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 15 2007 @ 09:08 PM EDT
    Mike is correct the CBC and DWIN do indeed have a bit of a relationship, and the CBC does link to the DWIN site (and vice versa), as well as specific DWIN pages such as our TARDIS FILE features for series 3. But to be honest I don't think hitting the CBC up for advertising is the best bet for a local club. DWIN is a national (and international) organization that has been around for decades. I would suggest a more grass roots approach to advertising your club and events. Getting the word out there is key, and I think going to local cons, other clubs, events, and websites is a way of getting your name and group "out there" in the community. It's one of the best ways to getting things going.

When I started the High Council (DW club in Montreal) that's how I did it. Local con, flyers, a table, and bingo I had more members! Then volunteering at local cons, and giving them, or helping them with Doctor Who programming. Or you can go one step further and hold small Doctor Who events.... post them on OG, here at GE, and on other boards. Local ones as well...not just the nationwide ones. Get to know some of the other clubs in town. I'm sure those Galactica fans who meet up, or them Star Trekkers have a couple of Doctor Who fans as well. Poach them! Smile The big websites, and a place like the CBC get the eyes... but the odds that they are LOCAL eyes is a different story. DWIN wants and needs members from everywhere! We're not restricted by locality... anyone can enjoy our publications, and web content. Naturally when we hold an event....only local or semi-local fans can attend. But them's the breaks. Smile

Maybe the local radio station will do a story, or want to talk to you...and ulitmately that's a source of advertising. But generally they'll need and want to tie that into some sort of news event. Such as the Return of Doctor Who, or the "leak".... myself and a few others from DWIN were singled out to speak on the topic a couple years ago. I was on CBC Newsworld for a fairly long segment talking about DW.... but I don't think it acutally gained us any new members. It was a splash, some PR but not really a big boost to the membership. I think grassroots and local is the way you should be thinking.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

ROD
    www.dwin.org
    www.doctorwhoblog.com

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post