The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 07
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 07
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Peter Davison Era »  Big Finish 5th Doctor
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Big Finish 5th Doctor Views: 1396
     Friday, September 21 2007 @ 09:18 AM EDT
    So what do we all think about the 5th Doctor on Audio?

Guest Host on the WHOCAST
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, September 21 2007 @ 10:45 AM EDT
    Long Answer: I think he is more comfortable in the role now that he is an established and well respected Doctor. He has also gotten the opportunity to get stories with just him and Nyssa and him and Turlough, which really helps to flesh out these characters even more and show us how we really missed out. Like any other Doctor on Big Finish audio, there are always going to be some clunkers, and even though Peter Davison is probably my favorite or close to my favorite Doctors, his Big Finish audios may have a few more clunkers than some of the others, but he does have some great stories.
    Short Answer: Spare Parts!

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 21 2007 @ 02:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Omega] Long Answer: I think he is more comfortable in the role now that he is an established and well respected Doctor. He has also gotten the opportunity to get stories with just him and Nyssa and him and Turlough, which really helps to flesh out these characters even more and show us how we really missed out. Like any other Doctor on Big Finish audio, there are always going to be some clunkers, and even though Peter Davison is probably my favorite or close to my favorite Doctors, his Big Finish audios may have a few more clunkers than some of the others, but he does have some great stories.
    Short Answer: Spare Parts!

One thing I like about the Fifth Doctor/Nyssa stories is, as it fits in between Time Flight and Arc of Infinity, it makes Tegans return to the TARDIS feel a lot less contrived!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, September 26 2007 @ 03:12 PM EDT
    It's kinda funny, but for me there has been a bit of reversal of favourites (and I don't think I'm the only one).

Back in the day of the TV series, I really liked the 5th Doctor, and (although I wasnt really watching the series at that point in time) I liked the odd episode I saw of McCoy. I didn't like Colin Baker and I wasn't remotely taken by the movie.

These days, Colin Baker is my favourite audio Doctor, no question. McGann is pure quality too (and in many ways I'd accept arguments that he's the definitive version - if such a thing exists).

Don't get me wrong, I really like both the 5th and 7th Doctors, but when it comes to Big Finish, they're joint 3rd (and if pushed, I'd probably go for McCoy before Davison!)

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, October 16 2007 @ 05:10 PM EDT
    I think it isn't so much the 5th Doctor that I like in Big Finish as his companions. To me they are the interesting aspect of these stories. With that, I can say the 5th Doctor stories are some of my favorite so far, but not necessarily because of the Doctor.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 17 2007 @ 12:14 AM EDT

I felt that the Fifth Doctor has had the most inconsistant batch of stories. Some were very good, and others just forgetable. In most cases it wasn't Peter Davison's performance, though he, as did all the actors protraying the Doctor have had their bad outings, I feel he has had the largest variation in script quality. I was actually disappointed with his audio stories until Loups-Garoux and then The Eye of the Scorpion put me at ease. Where Spare Parts was one of the best we had also The Mutant Phase which did nothing for me. Now, of late, the Fifth Doctor has gotten some better stories, but for each gem there seems to be a dud as well.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, November 19 2007 @ 08:01 AM EST
    My very favourite Big Finish to date is a Davison story: "The Kingmaker" - a very funny, quite complex quasi-historical which also has the distinction of being the closest Big Finish have come to having a 4th Doctor story (I'll say no more as I don't want to ruin the surprise for those who haven't heard it yet).

And I haven't even got around to Spare Parts & Circular Time yet, which both seem generally revered.

So he's not doing too badly for himself, despite the reputation for his audio stories being perhaps the weakest in the BF line...

Monday, November 19 2007 @ 09:07 AM EST
    My favorite was "Storm Warning". Great McGann story, introduces a great new companion, gives her a bit of a problem with time (in that she should be dead but the Doc prevents that from happening) and is just generally nicely tied back to the history of the airship and the commonality of their destruction, making them unsafe for mass transit.

Great story.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, November 19 2007 @ 10:02 AM EST
    Agree that Davison and McCoy are as good as each other (although after 'Dreamtime', Peter edges it for me!). Paul McGann is pretty good and Colin Baker is just magnificent! I honestly don't think he's had a bad story.

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Saturday, March 01 2008 @ 09:37 PM EST
    I feel more emotionally invested in the Fifth Doctor on audio than any of them. That's not to say he's the "best", just that listening to him largely corrects the things I wanted changing about a televised era. It's nice that Colin has been rewarded for his love of and faithfulness to the programme. I'm glad McGann finally gets to be the Doctor. But I didn't twig enough to the 6th-8th Doctors on TV to really care whether they appeared in additional stories.

For the Fifth, though, there have been positive changes for a Doctor I actually liked. He gets to travel with Nyssa alone! Finally! He gets to travel with Turlough alone! Finally! He gets to have other companions! Finally! He gets to play cricket with some regularity! Finally! He gets to be his funny, crotchety self from "Frontios"! Finally! Big Finish has opened up precisely the aspects of the era that I always wanted to see.

If there were a gun to my head and I had to pick an adventure from any Doctor's era, I'd go for a Davison/Nyssa adventure more than any other, and only regret that I had to forego a McGann/Lucie one. I never regret buying a Colin/Evelyn adventure, of course, but he doesn't inspire the same Pavlovian devotion that Davison/Nyssa does. My feelings on this might change as the Sixth Doctor's latest companion goes through a few more adventures with him. But a lot of my affection for this newest twinning has more to do with the sheer intellectual novelty of it than the emotional connection I feel to Davison/Nyssa.

McCoy I listen to with the same sort of grudging completist-ness that I watched his TV adventures. He could never make another one and I'd hardly hiccup.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Saturday, March 01 2008 @ 11:08 PM EST
    Although I dearly love the 5th Doctor's reign on tv,
    I've often been sorely disappointed by Peter Davison on audio. Personally, he rarely sounds emotionally invested in the role nowadays. In fact, he can sound downright bored. Nevertheless, he has done a few great stories (Circular Time, Spare Parts, Loups-Garoux, and...ummmm....and...that's about it). His outings with Nyssa are normally of a higher quality.

*edited a day later*

I've had a change of heart

I'm being far too harsh about the 5th Doctor outings on Big Finish. What I probably should have said is that Davison is often handed the poorest scripts to come off the Big Finish assembly line. Sometimes his performances can reflect a little disappointment in the material he's been handed. Who can blame him? Even the recent Bride of Peladon was sleep inducing. Nevertheless, when Davison is handed a story of high caliber, his performances can't be beat.

Tuesday, April 29 2008 @ 08:35 AM EDT
    I just received my Doctor Who magazine last week. It came with a free Big Finish CD called Cuddlesome. It was okay. I really like Peter Davidsons doctor. I didn't like the story very much but with the 5 Doctor in it; it gave it a couple extra points in my book. I really don't have book. I never understood that saying. I think George Carlin had a whole rant about that so I won't even think about touching it. Anyway, I think Colin Baker would have done better in this story. Though I never heard any other Big Finish I have heard that Colin Baker does very well in the Big Finish realm. Did anyone else hear this? What are your thoughts?

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored