The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  Review of King Lear...
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Review of King Lear... Views: 1076
     Tuesday, October 16 2007 @ 05:07 PM EDT
    Well, not a full review, but I thought I'd let everyone know how Sylvester McCoy and Sir Ian were on stage together.

I saw the RSC's production of King Lear last Thursday in Mpls. To start with wow. Second thing of note is that Sir Ian has some amazing "attributes" for a man his age (I didn't anticipate the full monty in Lear, but there you are).

McCoy was wonderful as Lear's Fool. His antics were a wonderful play off of Lear's descent into madness. I also enjoyed his playing of the spoons throughout (according to the playbill, he has played the spoons at Albert Hall with some royal orchestra - forget the actual name, what a strange and wonderful talent!).

What I hadn't anticipated was that others would have trouble with his dialect. Because I've seen many - not all - of his Doctor Who eps and listed to quite a few of the Big Finish stories now, I was familiar with his cadence and trilling "R"s, but others commented that it took them a few speaches to figure out what he was saying - and then they still weren't certain (it is Shakespeare afterall!).

My apologies for this next bit if you aren't familiar with Lear, but it really shouldn't be too much of a SPOILER (it's a Tragedy, everyone dies except maybe two people in most Shakespeare tragedies). The intermission took place at the end of the third act. The Fool has just been captured by the baddies and hung on the spot. Yes, they staged his hanging from the rafters. THEN they left him there as the house lights came up and the audience left for the interval. My companions and I waited to see when they would take him down, and they waited a full five minutes into the interval.

and I do admit, I wanted to shout: "REGENERATE DOCTOR!!! REGENERATE!!!" I didn't. The rest of Lear was shock and awe and bloody. And all together wonderful!

When the bows came at the end of the show, I did shout out "DOCTOR!!!" for McCoy, along with at least two other voices from the audience. He got a big grin on his face but otherwise did not acknowledge the shouts.

And as good an actor as Sir Ian is in the movies (though, not a fan of his Magneto, but that's really more of an issue with the storyline), he is THAT much better on stage!

I don't know if the show is heading for LA or NYC next, but if you get the opportunity to get a rush ticket, I really would recommend it.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 17 2007 @ 03:57 PM EDT
    Cry I am soooo jealous! Lear is one of my favorite plays and I would dearly love to see Sir Ian live. Add Sylvester to the list, and wow!!!

I doubt the RSC will be gracing Dallas, but I'd move heaven and earth to see them here!

CI

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 21 2008 @ 06:51 PM EST
    Dunno if you've spotted this Mad4plaid....

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 22 2008 @ 01:00 AM EST
    &style
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] Dunno if you've spotted this Mad4plaid....

To summarize: the production is coming to PBS and BBC4 in autumn and December, respectively, and was filmed in HD to boot!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 22 2008 @ 08:59 AM EST
    Oh nice! Everyone will get a chance to see this brilliant production!

Now, I just wonder if the American PBS stations will show Sir Ian in ALL his glory, or if they'll just pan up for those scenes and not show him with his pants around his ankles!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 22 2008 @ 10:57 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Oh nice! Everyone will get a chance to see this brilliant production!

Now, I just wonder if the American PBS stations will show Sir Ian in ALL his glory, or if they'll just pan up for those scenes and not show him with his pants around his ankles!

"Bloody Torchwood".

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages