The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Battles in Time issues #2, 3, & 4
    Battles in Time issues #2, 3, & 4
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Colin Baker Era »  6th Doctor recomendations; after yesterdays p..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    6th Doctor recomendations; after yesterdays podshock live re Views: 1382
     Monday, December 03 2007 @ 04:23 AM EST
    first off we have...

Doctor Who and the Pirates

(the mistake in the title is intentional)

All aboard, me hearties, for a rip-roaring tale of adventure on the high seas! There'll be rum for all and sea shanties galore as we travel back in time to join the valiant crew of the good ship Sea Eagle, braving perils, pirates and a peripatetic old sea-dog known only as the Doctor!

Gasp as our Gallifreyan buccaneer crosses swords with the fearsome Red Jasper, scourge of the seven seas and possessor of at least one wooden leg! Thrill as Evil Evelyn the Pirate Queen sets sail in search of buried treasure, with only a foppish ship's captain and an innocent young cabin boy by her side! Marvel at the melodious mayhem which ensues as we sail the ocean blue!

And wonder why Evelyn still hasn't realised that very few stories have happy endings...

you can listen to a preview here

here

or my personal fave

the one doctor

When the evil Skelloids launch an attack upon the seventeen worlds of the Generios system, its peace-loving inhabitants face total destruction.

So it's fortunate that the famous traveller in time and space known only as the Doctor is in the area, and doubly lucky that, with the help of his pretty young assistant, Sally-Anne, he manages to defeat the deadly creatures and save the day.

But now it looks as though the Doctor¹s luck has run out.

Who is the mysterious, curly-haired stranger who insists on causing trouble? What role does the feisty redhead Melanie play in his scheme? And what have they to do with the sinister alien cylinder approaching Generios?

One thing is certain: for the Doctor and Sally-Anne, there¹s deadly danger ahead ...

but for people wanting a multiple doctor story with a slightly better take... i would recomend

"I'll survive Doctor. I always do."

Unfinished business.

A frightened girl is stalked in a land of eternal night.

A hunter longs for recognition and power.

A traveller in time returns to correct the mistakes of the past and faces a danger that could rob him of his future. Unless his future intervenes.

And in the shadows stands Nimrod. Waiting...

Welcome to the Forge.

again you can listen to a trailor at the big finish site.

ill put more recomendations here later.

thanks for listening to me yesterday

Michael (Tin Dod Podcast Bloke)

Guest Host on the WHOCAST
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 08:24 AM EST

Note: I moved this topic from the McCoy section to the Colin Baker Era section.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 09:27 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Taras

oops. sorry. thought id put it in the right place. sorry.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 02:42 PM EST

It is the classic off by one problem...

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 05:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Taras

Firstly - Thanks to Michael for posting this info...

And taras....can you now move it into my Christmas Stocking Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 05:22 PM EST
    I would recommend most of the Sixth Doctor's adventures with Evelyn Smythe because there is a nice little story arc that develops between them and there's a marvellous chemistry between the two. THIS is the pairing I wish I'd seen on TV. The older Evelyn doesn't sound like a very attractive character on paper but she certainly holds her own against the cantankerous Sixth Doctor in ways that Peri and Mel never did. And no Doctor has played blustering indignance with quite the wit and panache of Colin Baker. Big Finish is his finest hour. For anyone who's interested, this is the order of the releases:

1.) Investigating a time anomaly eminating from a university lecturer named Dr Evelyn Smythe, the pair travel back in time to Tudor England.

2.) A story in the classic, traditional style of "Who" sees Evelyn and the Sixth Doctor at last meet up with the Brigadier.

3.) While investigating a mystery on Archetryx, the Doctor and Evelyn stumble upon a much bigger mystery - whatever happened to the Gallifreyan President, Romanadvoratralundor? An epic story that sees the Daleks go to war with Gallifrey.

4.) While helping Charles Darwin on his voyage to discover the theory of evolution, the Doctor and Evelyn stumble across the Silurians, who have something to say on the matter.

5.) As close as we're likely to get to an adult Doctor Who story, this one has a real horror theme to it and begins a story arc that will have big repercussions for the pair.

6.) The Doctor is placed not as the heroic figure we know, but as an alien world's version of the bogeyman - to scare young children at night. Not a story I found easy to get into (I think I've only listened to it once)

7.) The story that Dalek was based upon but an adventure that is so much more than its television counterpart. After encountering a time anomaly, the Doctor and Evelyn arrive at the Tower of London to discover they are in an Earth set in an alternate present day where Dalek-mania holds an altogether different meaning. Prepare to be shocked ...and just who is that mysterious man in the chair?

8.) The notorious musical episode sees Evelyn Smythe learning the hard way that not all stories have a happy ending. And the Doctor sings....be afraid. Be very afraid.

9.) Sequel to Project Twilight, the Doctor and Evelyn return to fulfil a long-held promise, but the consequences are to have a serious impact on their friendship.
    Tip: This is really two separate (although related) two-part stories. The Doctor and Evelyn's story, which relates to the arc, only takes up the first half.

10.) Following a seemingly insurmountable difference of opinion, Evelyn decides it's finally time to take a break from the Doctor. On a planet facing impending war, is there any hope for the future...and does fate have a surprise in store for Evelyn?

11.) It's back to earth and historical events as the Doctor meets an infamous pair from Edinburgh's past and Evelyn learns to live with the past. Also worth a listen as Tenth Doctor David Tennant guest stars as "Daft Jamie" (no no, not THAT Jamie).

12.) Sequel to Arrangements for War. Chronologically Evelyn's final story and certainly one of her finest. All of the other Evelyn stories published after this could be listened to first if you like, but it's not crucial because I don't think the stories since this one have quite been up to the standard.
    Tip: It might also help you to start listening to the Seventh Doctor and Ace stories that feature the character Hex before you get to this one since it will enable you to understand the full significance of the scene near the end. Also worth a listen if you're not a Mel fan because she gets slapped....hard....twice.

13.) The Doctor and Evelyn travel to Brighton where they meet Max Miller and discover something rather unsavoury on the beach.

14.) The Doctor and Evelyn arrive on a spaceship where the crew are plagued by the ringing of a mysterious bell that spells certain doom for them all. Can they make a difference before it's too late?

15.) A set of four separate one-part stories featuring the Sixth Doctor and Evelyn all revolving around the theme 100. This is Big Finish's celebration of its 100th Doctor Who release.

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 03 2007 @ 07:20 PM EST
    Although the stories haven't always been top drawer, Colin Baker's performances for Big Finish are always spot on.

His exclamation when he initially sees "Davros!" in that same titled story is a brilliantly delivered, simple one liner that nicely encapsulates the style of his wonderful audio work.

Also, although not a 6th Doctor line; 'You mean to tell me my housekeeper has made a Faustian pact with a pixie from outer-space? Well when she gets back, she's FIRED!!!' from the Spectre of Lanyon Moor leaves me in stitches everytime I hear it.

I like them all, but I think he's the main man for Big Finish.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 08 2008 @ 08:07 PM EST
    I'm a "new companion story" whore. I love first encounters. So naturally I gravitate to things like: "The Marian Consipiracy", "The Holy Terror" (not strictly a new companion story, but a companion return story), "Davros" (strictly, a no-companion piece, but full of plenty of introductions), "The Spectre of Lanyon Moor" (a first encounter between the Sixth Doctor and the Brig), and even the very recent, "The Condemned". While these kind of stories are usually good for any Doctor, Colin's gruff, confrontational nature always makes them particularly interesting. And I think the Big Finish writers have usually made these stories particularly well-plotted to rise to the special occasion.

Now, there are plenty of other great adventures ("...ish", "The One Doctor", "Pirates", "Jubilee", etc.), but for a Doctor who had himself an awful introduction, it's somewhat surprising that many adventures which see the debut of a new companion are such damned good listening.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, February 08 2008 @ 11:21 PM EST

Darth,

Based on what you have written above, then the next Sixth Doctor Big Finish story is well up your alley!!! Maybe...

Taras

Friday, February 08 2008 @ 11:58 PM EST
    You mean, "The Condemned"? Oh yah, it was a keeper. One of the funniest lil teasers on a Big Finish audio in a while, and an overall great story.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored