The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who Adventures
    Doctor Who Adventures
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  New Studio podcasts?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New Studio podcasts? Views: 3012
     Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 04:01 AM EDT

Hmmm...

It's pretty big Whoniverse... plenty of other subjects to cover live that I don't think would alienate our friends across the pond. Save all live discussions of 4th season episodes once they've generally aired everywhere! Conduct a poll of how many would or would not mind waiting for the general fanbase to have screened (or let's face it... downloaded) the episodes, and as to WHEN the Podcast should be conducted in relation to that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: "I can hold it till we get to Grandma's house... can you?"

-- Joshua

"C'mon, Ace... we've got work to do!"
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 06:32 AM EDT
    I'm probably the only podshock listener in my country so I guess Australia is not really taken into consideration much seeing as we won't get series 4 here til July.
    But I'll be seeing each episode as soon as it's broadcast in the UK by other means so the regular schedule is fine with me, all through if the first episode transmits on the 5th April, I won't be to come on talkshoe the next day because I'll be in Brisbane for a convention.

bye bye david :(

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 11:02 AM EDT
    I've just logged on to the site for the first time in ages and read all of this thread. Although it looks like it's been sorted now I still thought I'd chime in with my few pennies.

I'm afraid I really don't like the live shows, the idea is fine but we have 'over-saturation' and the audio quality isn't great. Also, with the greatest of respect guys, I think it needs tighter moderation by the hosts to keep people on the point and avoid repetition.

I'm still subscribed to the feeds and have got all of the un-listened shows on my iPod. The other day I decided to give it another go and listed to the 3rd Doctor overview, the problem is it sounded more like I was listening in to somebody else's conference call rather than a show and it just rambled on with the same people making the same points. The other thing that struck we was - it was meant to be a show on the Pertwee years but I noted that around 25 minutes had elapsed before the shows topic even started being discussed.

Like others in this thread I'm active in a couple of fan groups and the feedback I'm getting is that everybody is giving up on Podshock - I did try to feed this back previously in the 'Live' thread that was active but unfortunately the discussion took the route I expected with comments along the lines of "how dare you criticise show, Louis and Ken give up their free time et etc...Ē. For the record, if Louis, Ken and crew said Ė itís our show and we will do it this way because we want to then Iíd never bother feeding back negative comments but Iíve always got the feeling that the guys really do care what we think and would rather know the bad stuff than have it shielded from them
    I guess thatís part of the reason why Iíve not been a regular here for a while. To give an example, last year while series three was airing there were comments from some members in the forum threads for episodes that had just aired suggesting that people saved their comments for the live show Ė thatís great if youíre dialing in to the show, but the majority of us donít so before you know it Ė it felt like the forum was just a discussion area for the live show regulars to fill the gaps between the live shows. Iím not saying for one minute that that was anybodies intention but it did really start to feel like if you werenít part of the live show crew than you werenít part of the community Ė and if you donít feel that you fir in you go and find somewhere where you do.

Right Ė Iím going to leave it there and post this before I re-read it and decide not to! I hope nobody is offended by anything Iíve posted, that's not my intention. Iím just giving my opinion (and that of others from local groups who are not members here) and Ďsaying it as I see ití.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 11:17 AM EDT
    maybe we should have a limited time alloted to us callers..

you have 2 mins on the unicorn and the wasp... starting NOW!

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 11:42 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] It seems a bit harsh to dismiss all Live shows because one of them was 'boring' to you.

Cheers - from a live bore - daveac

Dave, it was more than just that one Live show that bored and frustrated me to tears - and I wasn't alone. That show happened to be the "straw that broke my back" on the subject, and I felt the need to say something about it. The Tom Baker live episode was presented as an example.

For those who like the Live shows, great! Enjoy! But as it has been pointed out here, they became the norm instead of "specials". If Louis, Ken and James can do both, more power to 'em!!! I liked the banter of the studio shows, and all the contributor stuff, which was all of excellent quality.

Seriously, until Talkshoe can really step up the quality, listening to the variance of quality of the audio in the live shows is torture. I don't blame Louis, Ken or James for that - they are doing the best they can.

And for the record, I love radio talk shows - it's 90% of my radio listening. That kind of format doesn't bother me, as long as the hosts keep the professionalism up and the audio quality is good.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 04:25 PM EDT
    Thumbs up to the Ashbrook episode. Great fun.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 05:29 PM EDT
    Just read through this subject. In my opinion I think both shows are fine. Talkshoe is fun to me. I think it is like talking with a bunch of friends sitting around you livingroom talking about something interesting. You could go on forever. The studio shows are cool. The past three have been top self. You guys know what your doing. You have alot on your plate with the new series coming out, having the Gallifrey Con stuff to edit and share, and the website updates. This is a hobby not a job. Keep up the good work.

Remember Me To Gallifrey!! Be sure to check Out the Phase Abandon Podcast on TalkShoe.com

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 06:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] Like others in this thread I'm active in a couple of fan groups and the feedback I'm getting is that everybody is giving up on Podshock

I've been getting this from some, but not all, in the DWNY group as well. But I can only go by the sample of people that occasionally brings up the topic at one of our meets, so I can't tell if it is representative or not.

What I have noticed on the live shows that I did not participate in, as I'm catching up on them, is that the conversation often strays and sometimes ends up discussing scheduling matters of another podcast. That information has absolutely no use past the time of recording, and of little use to those not following that podcast. I can understand a bit of cross promotion, but it wasn't just an announcement, it went on for quite some time.

It seems to me that the live shows are alienating quite a bit of the listenership of the podcast. I don't have anything beyond anecdotal evidence for this.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 07:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] is that the conversation often strays and sometimes ends up discussing scheduling matters of another podcast. That information has absolutely no use past the time of recording, and of little use to those not following that podcast. I can understand a bit of cross promotion, but it wasn't just an announcement, it went on for quite some time.

This has happened - by me - but only 'at length' on one occasion (I think) after the Podshock Live of that day had had lot's of technical trouble and had started (recording) much later than planned - which had a knock-on effect for the CIA that was to follow - resulting I admit in a longer debate as to whether the follow-on show would be delayed or not run at all.

And although that discussion could have been curtailed it was made well towards the end of the podcast.

I realise that Louis has the difficult task of moving things along - yet giving everyone a chance to speak.

I do wish that there could be a 'live' debate - maybe not a 'recorded' one - where these different views could be heard.

I do agree with points made about the audio (lack of) quality putting some people off the live shows - I know as it took me 3 headsets and different software and settings 'tweeks' to get to some reasonable level of audio output - but with there being a different group of people almost weekly this will always be a problem.

There is a partial solution in that those who missed the live show can skip downloading it straight from TalkShoe after the event and waiting until the iTunes version is up - plus of course when listenning to a recording of the 'live' show they can 'fast-forward' through the boring bits.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, March 21 2008 @ 06:10 PM EDT
    Dave,

Speaking for myself, the audio quality of the podcast feed of the live show is a killer for me. It's simply not up to the standards of the studio show. The different "hosts," most recently you, Louis and Ken, all have quite different volume and noise levels. It's very distracting.

I'm new to these parts, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't see the need for a "live debate" of the virtues and vices of the different podcasts. What's going on in this thread ought to be more than sufficient. I take it for granted that Louis, Ken and James are producing the best possible podcasts given their time and resources, and listeners like me shouldn't feel entitled to anything else. I'm just expressing my preference, and my concern that the live podcasts aren't playing to their strengths.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 21 2008 @ 07:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] Dave,

Speaking for myself, the audio quality of the podcast feed of the live show is a killer for me. It's simply not up to the standards of the studio show. The different "hosts," most recently you, Louis and Ken, all have quite different volume and noise levels. It's very distracting.

I'm just expressing my preference, and my concern that the live podcasts aren't playing to their strengths.

These are fair points - and held by more that a few peple.

The sound levels will always vary - Ken on a handset, Louis going through his multi-track setup - James on Skype or whatever plus callers from all over.

Earlier on in this thread I suggested that:-

'Perhaps the naming of the shows ie. in iTunes - can feature the word LIVE and Studio

I don't know if Podsock could have 'two' entries.

At least if CIA can take up the alternate weeks then it will be easier to stick to the live,studio,live order.'

Meaning that 'both' gorups could be catered for?

An alternate would be for Podshock to cover the Studio Shows and perhaps West's CIA taking over the 'LIVE' spot.

Both could cause other problems as CIA at the moment doesn't 'just' focus on Dr Who and it's spinoffs - and West may not always be available.

Personally I hope that there are live shows during Season 4 of Dr Who - and then perhaps we can take a leaf out of RTD's book - and have a 'live' break with just three live shows for the specials in 2009.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, March 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM EDT

Ok, we are a subset of Doctor Who fandom (we listen to podcasts). We are a subset of podcast listeners (Sci-Fi) specifically Doctor Who. I (being a minority of one) have EXTREMELY sensitive ears, and yet I enjoy the live banter. My only gripe is that the room isn't opened earlier. By the time (usually 20-30 min. in) most of what is worth talking about has already been discussed. This (IMHO) is part of what is causing the biggest rift, if people want to talk in an open forum then leve it for another feed or (as Dave suggest) add the tag LIVE!

I don't dislike either format and I understand that these things evolve. Let's be consice and narrow down the oppinions. As stated I have sensitive ears, but I don't have a problem conpensating for the variance in audio quality/level. Perhaps a leveler (or levelator) for the live show) would help. Is there another possiblilty we are overlooking? Let's be serious folks this is a unique oppurnity, we have the ability to discuss DW -Hours- after its initial aring, and you want us to not do it?

Cheers,
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Friday, March 21 2008 @ 10:23 PM EDT

The live spin off show was going to launch this weekend... but that was before I realized it was a holiday weekend. So perhaps it will take place next weekend.

We will have more information right here on our site once it is more finalized.

The spin-off won't interfere with the schedule of the studio shows either. Plus there is even more good news forthcoming... Err... well, I should say most likely more good news on the horizon as it is not carved in stone just yet. All I can say is if it does comes to be (and I am being optimistic that it will) it will open up more choices and bring things to another level. That is not to say that the show you know and love will be going away, it is not. I will say more when I can say more (hopefully within the next month).

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 07:25 PM EDT
    Good luck to you on that, Louis.

Merlin: As I mentioned before, the live-show-within-hours is chiefly of benefit to British listeners. I've got no quarrel with having a live show; I even toyed with the idea of trying to pull together a Skypecast or Talkcast myself aimed at American listeners to air within an hour of its Sci-Fi debut, but I don't have enough experience to try it. But I continue to maintain that the live show's value is highest during the hour it's live, and falls off dramatically afterward.

In other words, "Whatever floats your boat, I'd just hate for it to replace the superior studio project." Which sounds like the direction that Louis and company are moving in. I'll give that five TARDIS groans.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored