The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Travis' Brother with the Cast and Crew at Gallifrey 2006
    Travis' Brother with the Cast and Crew at Gallifrey 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW s2e8 A Day in the Death of
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW s2e8 A Day in the Death of Views: 2377
     Tuesday, March 04 2008 @ 01:04 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

Yeah, I thought that was stupid too. If he can talk, he's forcing air out of his lungs. That almost lost me, because it was so unrealistic. Despite the fact that a walking dead body isn't very realistic, once you set up the rules in the story, it's possible. But to show him clearly talking and breathing (and panting) and then pretending he can't do mouth-to-mouth, is just laziness.

I'm not sure I'm liking where this is going. Having Jack be immortal is one thing, regenerating after any injury, but having Owen immortal without the ability to even heal a cut, is another entirely. For him, it's only going to be a slow degeneration until he's an immobile mass of broken bones and zombified flesh.

I thought the device they found would reverse the effects. Something's got to, otherwise... what? What's the point of having him continue to "live"?

Sean.

Not posting - just showing your missing post.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, March 05 2008 @ 10:38 AM EST
    This just goes back to Torchwood as Buffy. Whedon&co. had the exact same problems with their vampires. They can't give mouth-to-mouth, they don't bleed, etc., but that doesn't explain how they can speak or have sex (no blood flow?). You'd think with all their cribbing the Torchwood powers that be could have improved on problems in the original material that's obviously strongly influential.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 05 2008 @ 07:06 PM EST
    I thought this was crap. I was so into this series at the outset, but the whole Owen nonsense is really starting to grate with me.

I know it's science fiction, and therefore anything goes - but I don't like this is he/isn't he stuff. We know he is - but he's not. Get it? Personally I just don't.

Just my opinion!

(although I did actually like the whole jumper inter-woven storyline, if that's not a paradox in itself)

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 24 2008 @ 07:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] OK- never mind that he is (un)dead, but if Owen can talk he can certainly blow air into someone's lungs! Did anyone else notice how he was panting while mourning the fact that he doesn't breathe??? I was just totally confused.

I'm way behind on my Torchwood watching, but I finally watched Day in the Death (mostly). This comment cracked me up, because I had the same problem when watching Buffy. In the last ep of season 1, Buffy is killed by the Master and Xander and Angel find her. Angel says he can't do mouth-to-mouth because he doesn't breath. Yet all the vamps can talk. Hell, Spike even smokes. If anything, a vamp doing mouth-to-mouth is better since his/her body won't take any of the oxygen out. It would be like using one of those breathing bag things.
    Eek!

/-edit-/

[Quote  by:  sarahbot] This just goes back to Torchwood as Buffy. Whedon&co. had the exact same problems with their vampires. They can't give mouth-to-mouth, they don't bleed, etc., but that doesn't explain how they can speak or have sex (no blood flow?). You'd think with all their cribbing the Torchwood powers that be could have improved on problems in the original material that's obviously strongly influential.

Doh...I really need to start reading the whole thread before posting.

Confused

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 29 2008 @ 02:25 PM EDT
    How Owen can talk and yet not be breathing

I was talking about this "error" with my 15 year old. Here's his explanation in a nutshell.

Air still enters Owen's body voluntarily. If it didn't it would create a vacuum. Since his muscles still work (he has to exercise to keep them from atrophying) then when his muscles in his diaphragm contract it pushes the air over his vocal chords making it possible for him to talk. Techinically it would be a soft voice (think the bellows scene in The Princess Bride when Westley is mostly dead and Miracle Max pumps him with air and then pushes on his diaphragm to find out why he wants to live)

Again this is my 15 year old's explanation.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM EDT

Which should make him better at mouth to mouth as he won't be generating CO2 and be able to get more oxygen into the other person?!?

Total lack of either common sense or understanding of physics/chemistry in most drama today...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, April 09 2008 @ 03:02 PM EDT
    Yes, I have to admit, like the rest of you I was like "How is he speaking if he can't get any air in!" What a crock!

Funny how these things can irk a viewer since ultimately the entire show is fantasy.

I remember once being really annoyed about a "news of the weird" article about a "human skull with horns on it." The fact that a human skull might have horns on it seemed less offensive to me than these hacks trying to say vikings had horns on their helmets! What rubbish. hehe

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored