The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Eugene Washington
    Eugene Washington
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW s2e10 From out of the Rain
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW s2e10 From out of the Rain Views: 1151
     Thursday, March 13 2008 @ 12:08 AM EDT

This was a very interesting story. The concept was a cool what if, but seemed a bit far fetched for a modern sci-fi show, but that aside, I thought that the story worked very well. We have a few continuity elements sprinkled throughout the episode without being hit over the head by them. The idea of a traveling carnival was pretty interesting. What is it about spin-off series getting their info from an old lady in a care facility?

I loved Gwen's snarky comment to Jack needing Ianto's "local expertise".

A solid episode.

Cross posted on DWNY site

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, March 13 2008 @ 12:19 AM EDT

I don't know.... It seemed to me like it had a rewright in the middle. Jack knew some of them but did not travel with them? He did his "can not die" sthic for the suckers and was on the film but did not come out of the film like the other performers? It seemed like they had to write themselves out of a hole, but left the hole there.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, March 13 2008 @ 12:49 AM EDT

He performed with a carnival, while investigating the Night Travelers...

Edit: not everyone on the film were Night Travelers.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, March 13 2008 @ 08:09 AM EDT
    Hmmmmm, easy to spot the rip offs this week: Last Action Hero and 'Papa Lazarou' from the League of Gentlemen. Despite this it was still very average but it'll keep getting commisoned from now until the end of time, so who cares!

5/10

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 13 2008 @ 07:45 PM EDT
    I throught this one was great, I loved the atmosphere in this one, the music was great, and it was quite creepy too.
    I really like that period in history, of the early days of film, and the way Jack defeated them at the end was just brillant. I have done that so many times to film of my own by accident.

I love how Jack and Ianto are becoming like a little team on their own within the larger team of Torchwood.
    It makes my inner fangirl happy.

Overall a solid episode, one of my favourites

bye bye david :(

Thursday, March 13 2008 @ 11:47 PM EDT
    I, for the most part loved this episode. There were a few things about it that didn't quite make sense to me.

The Electra, an old movie theatre, is about to reopen. The son of the owners (Jonathan) discovered 80 year old cans of film in the basement and decides to splice together a new film out of this footage, for its opening. (Well that would be like someone from a museum making a collage out of their original masterpieces. Nobody would cut up old, original, prints like that.)

This film gets swapped for another film which has the night travelers on it along with Captain Jack, who both knows the performers on the film and has worked with them and doesn't and only just found out that they really exist.

The team takes the film back to the "hub" where it magically turns from a 35mm theater print to a 16mm print. (yes, they film that is edited in the beginning of the episode and projected in the theatre is a different format from what the team reviews frame by frame later on.)

Then later, back at the theatre, the night travelers again have the print which is again 35mm and are showing it again. Which, although they went to Jonathan's apartment to get additional footage, the night travelers jump out of the movie in scenes which the Torchwood team already confiscated?

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 14 2008 @ 10:05 AM EDT
    It was all a bit silly, and obviously a PJ Hammond story. Felt like it was a bit of Sapphire and Steel grafted onto Torchwood.

Rift activity is about aliens and technology, not fantasy - coming out of projected film or stealing last breaths and keeping them in bottles.

The dehydration I could buy into. Not the other things.

Also, despite what I just said, I felt it was too short. It could have stood as a two-part episode. The moodiness felt rushed in the hour slot.

Like I said, it would have made a good Sapphire and Steel episode. They almost did one like this with people coming out of the photographs.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, March 14 2008 @ 10:19 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

Like I said, it would have made a good Sapphire and Steel episode. They almost did one like this with people coming out of the photographs.

Sean.

I agree with that - it was also the 'fairy' story of this season.

I'm wondering about the order in which these episodes are made (as opposed to order shown in) as no mention of Gwen's wedding or 'Torchwood' type jokes about her honeymoon were made.

The way the circus people just disappeared seemed a bit tame - I would have thought they should have burst into flames or something.

As a stand-alone episode it was entertaining - but can we now have Captain John back please?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, March 15 2008 @ 11:40 PM EDT
    I thought this episode was average. I didn't hate it, but I really didn't like it either. It just... was.

Aside from a few lines, and the potential of the plot, this episode just felt like filler.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 12:26 AM EDT

I got bored with this one. Three quarters the way into it, I grabbed my iPhone and checked my Tweeter friends, checked to see if I had any new emails, etc... while this episode was playing in the background. It just didn't grab me obviously.

It made me long to see the Woody Allen film The Purple Rose of Cairo again... it's been many years.

People jumping out of a movie reel into the real world... Hmm... I can buy it in a fantasy film like the Woody Allen film I just mentioned, but I feel it crosses the line of believability with a science fiction series such as Torchwood.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 12:58 AM EDT
    come on guys, they can't all be gold. it wasn't bad, it just won't be one i watch when the dvd comes out. everybody come to CIA tomorrow.

see ya
    west

"I've seen whole armies turn and run away. And he'd just swagger off back to his TARDIS and open the doors with a snap of his fingers. The Doctor in the TARDIS.

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 01:38 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  geekweekFL] come on guys, they can't all be gold. it wasn't bad, it just won't be one i watch when the dvd comes out. everybody come to CIA tomorrow.

see ya
    west

I went back to re-watch the second half of it because the first time around I completely lost interest in it that I missed how it was all resolved. This time I caught the ending after I woke up from falling asleep watching it.

Compared to the rest of series 2 so far, this is weak. Though as you say, they can't all be gold.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 03:41 AM EDT

Hey gang!

I'm gonna have to go with Romana II on this one... loved it!

While some of the story elements DID feel a bit familiar, the episode more than made up for it with it's overall tone and atmosphere... in fact, the film clips of the "Ringleader" staring straight into the camera with that beckoning wave of the hand literally gave me creeps!

This style of Grand Guignol really strikes a chord with me... I thought "From Out of the Rain" had it in spades: the "I want to drink the sorrow from her tears..." line (or something to that effect... I'm too tired to check right now) also gave me the chills.

I also like how Owen's "predicament" came in handy when the Night Traveler was trying to suck the "life" out of him.

I was merely just okay with Torchwood's first season... but now I gotta admit, with the exception of the vomit-inducing "To the Last Man", I think the show's been on fire this season!

With three left to go, here's to hoping they keep it up!

-- Joshua

"C'mon, Ace... we've got work to do!"

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 05:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

I'm wondering about the order in which these episodes are made (as opposed to order shown in) as no mention of Gwen's wedding or 'Torchwood' type jokes about her honeymoon were made.

Cheers, daveac

She was wearing a wedding ring in Adrift, not too sure if she was wearing one here, maybe she was, i just didnt notice it.

Oh, and Owen feels a pulse...WHAT?!?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages