The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Mini r/c Dalek
    Mini r/c Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4 Ep: 5 The Poison Sky [Spoilers]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4 Ep: 5 The Poison Sky [Spoilers] Views: 3548
     Monday, May 05 2008 @ 09:54 AM EDT
    Overall not bad. Definitely a step up from last year's Dalek 2-parter.

- Rattigan struck me like a character whose only purpose was to fill a plot hole allowing the Doctor to escape. I'm willing to buy into the whole part about the Sontarans needing an inside guy to start the wheels turning with the ATMOS thing, but the Sontarans could've accomplished the exact same thing with a human clone, much like they did with Martha. The only purpose he served was to save The Doctor at the end and sacrifice himself, having seen the error of his ways. Without Rattigan, The Doctor dies at the end, plain and simple. So he's sort of like the Sonic Screwdriver in human form. Very convenient. Also reminded me of Chris Kattan from SNL.

- Blink and you'll miss the Rose cameo. "Donít turn your back. Donít look away. And donít blink." Got me wondering what her intentions are. In the 1st episode when we see her at the end, she almost has an evil-ish mystique about her, but her demeanor from the quick flash on the TARDIS console almost seemed like she's trying to reach out to The Doctor to warn him about something. Maybe Jackie escaped from alternate-universe-Earth?

- Sontaran armor isn't bullet-proof?

- Liked the Brigadier mention. When it was found out he was in Peru, I was hoping we'd at least see him via teleconference or something, but alas it was not meant to be. Maybe some other time.

- Loved the mention of the Rutans and their ongoing war with the Sontarans. Perhaps we'll get a glimpse of them at some point in the new series, but probably not for a while (if ever).

- As for the science of things, I'm willing to buy into this whole burning of the gas high up in the atmosphere, but what about the gas that was in people's homes? Shouldn't that have burned, too, causing just about everything else to catch on fire? How about airplanes flying around in the sky? Did I miss something in an explanation?

- With the Sontarans being a clone race, I was expecting to see thousands, if not millions, of them at some point. Seeing just a small brigade was somewhat of a disappointment.

Not top-tier DW, but not at all bad either. 3.5 TARDIS groans for the 2-parter as a whole.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 10:44 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] - With the Sontarans being a clone race, I was expecting to see thousands, if not millions, of them at some point. Seeing just a small brigade was somewhat of a disappointment.

Wouldn't they be needed as fodder on the front lines in the war with the Rutans?

For most of these operations they can only spare a few troopers. Hey, they invaded Gallifrey with just four of them...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 01:47 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] Overall not bad. Definitely a step up from last year's Dalek 2-parter.

- Rattigan struck me like a character whose only purpose was to fill a plot hole allowing the Doctor to escape. I'm willing to buy into the whole part about the Sontarans needing an inside guy to start the wheels turning with the ATMOS thing, but the Sontarans could've accomplished the exact same thing with a human clone, much like they did with Martha. The only purpose he served was to save The Doctor at the end and sacrifice himself, having seen the error of his ways. Without Rattigan, The Doctor dies at the end, plain and simple. So he's sort of like the Sonic Screwdriver in human form. Very convenient. Also reminded me of Chris Kattan from SNL.

Maybe they should have put him in a light orange shirt then you could have called him a "satsumer in human form" Smile

[Quote 
    - Sontaran armor isn't bullet-proof?

Saw that one comming from the first episode when the guns were being jammed. Otherwise why not just let the soldier empty his magazine to no effect.
    Given that Sontarans don't fear death thier "armor" may not be that effective.

Maybe it should be in the UNIT manual that any alien which has a technology to stop guns from firing is vulnerable to bullet wounds.

[Quote 
    - With the Sontarans being a clone race, I was expecting to see thousands, if not millions, of them at some point. Seeing just a small brigade was somewhat of a disappointment.

It was considerably more than we have seen before. Also they didn't actually intend to do much direct fighting. They expected their atmosphere modification to kill off native Earth life. When that failed their response was to fire off the big guns.
    Planetary bombardment using one ship has never made much sense to me. You cannot hope to take out all the military targets in the first few shots, even if you know where they are.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 02:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] Rattigan struck me like a character whose only purpose was to fill a plot hole allowing the Doctor to escape. I'm willing to buy into the whole part about the Sontarans needing an inside guy to start the wheels turning with the ATMOS thing, but the Sontarans could've accomplished the exact same thing with a human clone, much like they did with Martha. The only purpose he served was to save The Doctor at the end and sacrifice himself, having seen the error of his ways. Without Rattigan, The Doctor dies at the end, plain and simple. So he's sort of like the Sonic Screwdriver in human form. Very convenient. Also reminded me of Chris Kattan from SNL.
    Yah, highly reminiscent of Chris Kattan; a part of the reason, in fact, that I have no real complaints with his accent. It is a valid American accent.

See, if they were intent on having this Martha clone thing, I would have on the whole preferred her to have been the one who sacrificed her dying self for the Doctor. Martha Jones saves the world AGAIN Smile

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." ó JNT, 1986

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 05:55 PM EDT
    I'll chime in here to say that I think Murray's music was WAAAAAY over the top here, much more so than usual. It actually bordered on cartoonish at times.

We've always had a bit of a battle between Murray nailing things perfectly and some bombast cranked up 17 times too loud. This episode definitely felt like the latter to me.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 06:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  That Neil Guy] some bombast cranked up 17 times too loud

Doesn't that fit the nature of the Sontarans to a T?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 06:33 PM EDT
    Ok, finally got to watch this ep, but I need to be quick so I may use sentence fragments.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to. I really hated the Dalek two-parter last year, so I was prepared for the worst. I guess Raynor will get a little benefit of the doubt from me in future eps now. Regarding "Hell, I think the only thing that really saved this episode was the reference to the Brig and the 'Are you my mummy?'," it is always possible that those bits were added by RTD in a script polishing session.

I enjoyed most of the stuff already mentioned, i.e. Donna's "back of the neck" dance, Doctor's "are you my mommy?", the Colonel being more than a boob in uniform, calling in the Valient. I missed what the Colonel said before that when they were breaking out crates of new ammo, were the bullets different later when they actually fired? Were they not copper jacketed or something?

For all the hype about the Atmos and the gas, there was no pay-off in this about the vanishing bees. Could that still be something to come in a future episode? I can't imagine they mentioned it two or three times before but don't mention it here if it was due to the gas. We did get the Rose flash, so maybe it will be related to her story somehow.

Regarding the gas only burning higher up, but not at the ground level or in houses, it looked to me like they made a very specific shot to show the gas being sucked up into the higher atmosphere to be burned up there. In the Confidential, RTD said they had all this unused CGI money leftover since they went practical for the gas, but they probably could have used a little of it to show CGI streams of the gas being sucked out of the houses.

Regarding people not buying into Luke sacrificing himself out of some Doctor-inspired change of heart, I think my wife nailed it. During that part of the Confidential when the actor said he wasn't the bad guy, my wife said "He wasn't a martyr, he was just pissed and wanted revenge."

Regarding "Chris Ryan was perfectly cast as Staal. Brilliant vocals...although he'll always be Mike from "The Young Ones" for my generation!," ... THAT'S who that was. It was driving me crazy. I knew I recognized him from somewhere. He was great. The voice sounded just like I remembered classic Sontarans sounded like. Having said that, when Confidential showed past appearances by Sontarans I didn't remember them looking worse each time they appeared. The clip from The Two Doctors looked horrible. It looked like they tried making them look a little like the Vogons from Revenge of the Cybermen. And the face didn't move at all. It was great to see Liz Sladen in the Confidential. I wish they had a little more footage of her. They could have shaved off some of the Donna montage later on.

And finally, regarding "I'll chime in here to say that I think Murray's music was WAAAAAY over the top here, much more so than usual. It actually bordered on cartoonish at times." I have to say that, if anything, the color schemes in this story were way more cartoonish to me. It wasn't as bad in part 2, but the whole clone lab with its neon pinks and neon green tubing and bright purples looked really bad.

As far as the trailer goes, I'll only make the following comments...

Regarding "I was thinking more Buffy Summers or River Tam," I was thinking exactly the same thing. I actually said, "So the Doctor's daughter is Buffy?" Her being such a bad-ass leads me to believe she won't be who we are being led to believe she is.

And regarding She is also the daughter of sandra dickinson which makes her...Trillian's daughter too!
    She is Random Dent!
    ... that's hysterical. Now I vaguely remember something about Davison and Dickinson, but I had totally forgotten it. And even though I personally consider Mostly Harmless to be Mostly Worthless, I totally got the reference and appreciated it.

Ok, it's half past midnight. So much for being quick. I really need to get to bed. I'm down to my last week in Germany. Thanks, as always, to Mad Martha since I didn't have to wait until I got back to Chicago to watch these episodes.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 08:28 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] - Sontaran armor isn't bullet-proof?

- Liked the Brigadier mention. When it was found out he was in Peru, I was hoping we'd at least see him via teleconference or something, but alas it was not meant to be. Maybe some other time.

Yeah, that had me wondering. If the Sontaran's only vulnerable point is the nape of the neck, how can their armor be vulnerable to bullets, or Staal being killed from the front?

The Brig was mentioned? where the hockey sticks was I when that happened? Someone tell me where that happened and I'll go back and watch it again!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 05 2008 @ 08:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    Regarding "Chris Ryan was perfectly cast as Staal. Brilliant vocals...although he'll always be Mike from "The Young Ones" for my generation!," ... THAT'S who that was. It was driving me crazy. I knew I recognized him from somewhere.

He was also Marshall, Edina's first husband(? not sure if they were actually married), on Absolutely Fabulous.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 07 2008 @ 09:46 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]The Brig was mentioned? where the hockey sticks was I when that happened? Someone tell me where that happened and I'll go back and watch it again!

The scene starts at about 20:55 on my copy of the episode.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 07 2008 @ 10:19 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]The Brig was mentioned? where the hockey sticks was I when that happened? Someone tell me where that happened and I'll go back and watch it again!

The scene starts at about 20:55 on my copy of the episode.

And if you listen to the latest Podshock on TalkShoe - it was in the openning 'audio clips' I did that runs straight after the Podshock mash-up.

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, May 07 2008 @ 01:19 PM EDT
    Here's a thought:

This episode ended on a cliffhanger to be resolved in the next episode?
    Does that make Sontaran Strategy, Poison Sky and The Doctor's Daughter a three parter?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 07 2008 @ 02:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Here's a thought:

Does that make Sontaran Strategy, Poison Sky and The Doctor's Daughter a three parter?

No. I think it's like Darth said on the Podcast - it's the old Dr Who where you just lurch straight into the next story.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, May 07 2008 @ 03:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Here's a thought:

No. I think it's like Darth said on the Podcast - it's the old Dr Who where you just lurch straight into the next story.

Cheers, daveac
    Well, in my unspoiled (and possibly delusionary) state, I suppose technically we don't know that yet. I've watched that ending, and the subsequent preview, a dozen times since the Podshock, and I'm starting to believe there might be some sort of UNIT connection between the episodes. Probably won't be, but that's the glory of the original format. You just don't know what's gonna happen next. And, honestly, I'm holdin' on to the mystery of the biggest surprise of the entire Sontaran story for as long as I can.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." ó JNT, 1986

Wednesday, May 07 2008 @ 03:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] TerraCanis on a Digital Spy Forum suggests the 'post-it' sticker on the monitor showingg Rose may hold a clue - the design looks a little like the one on the Fob Watch?

Not sure - anyone got a better screen grab?

Cheers, daveac
    The problem with this theory (or actuality, if it turns out to be true) is that there's been a post-it note on the scanner since "Rose". (Some other clear sightings are in "Aliens of London" and "Time Crash".)

I'll grant ya it would be cool to have the Doctor finally grab the thing and tell us what's on it, but I'd be a li'l, um, skeptical of it holding some particular answers to the return of Rose, since it pre-dates "Doomsday".

That said, it DOES disappear in "The Christmas Invasion", so it could well be a new note (and indeed, it looks different to the one in the Ninth Doctor's TARDIS). However, you REALLY have to be looking for it hard. This is almost at too deep a background level to be cool, so much as coincidental.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored