The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks ?
    Daleks ?
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  McCoy Stories
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    McCoy Stories Views: 1646
     Saturday, May 03 2008 @ 04:54 PM EDT
    Haven't seen these for some time so it's almost time for rewatch. I was appalled ( said in my best Tom Baker voice) appalled and appalled after TIME AND THE RANI. Not only was the story crappy, over the top, unfunny, unscary, and totally boring and ridiculous to my intelligence, it just didn't matter and to boot...McCoy was awful. The first time an actor, IMO, utterly failed as the Doctor. He was terrible in this.And what he was given to do (spin Mel around?). He got a bit better in PARADISE TOWERS but again, the script for PT was awful, the direction horrible, the casting miscast, and the score...Mel was terrible in this. HAPPINESS PATROL was not much better. A real downer, a misery to sit through and watch. No optimism, no REAL story, and nothing. Total crap despite the underlying prejudice is wrong message. McCoy might have been playing a villain in this story. Perhaps if I have the nerve, I'll sit through these three stories, IMO the worst of DW, and reappraise these three oddites.

Ok, I'm probably alone in this but I love DELTA, not without it's problems but I love the whole feel to it. FOr the first time since maybe some of VERVOIDS, No, actually for the first time Mel is good throughout an entire story. The past is seen again. Ahh, so this IS still a time travel show. The threat was punctuated and real, the music better, the run around interesting...and the visuals not boring as in HAPPINESS PATROL or overblown like MYSTERIOUS PLANET and MINDWARP. For the first time, McCoy was geniune, and geniunely funny, Doctor-ish without going over the top and for the first time, the script made some sense. And the location shooting was nice.

THings were going to improve!!!! Hooray!!! DRAGONFIRE: total crap from start to finish. Ace was an awful comp in this, embarassing to me, silly and ...wait, how old is she supposed to be? She looks 35...Mel and Ace in the same story...awful, silly sayings, ear splitting screaming, blowing up things, melting faces from INDIANA JONES...what a mess this story is. Perhaps if I'm really brave I can watch this again before I die. And Mel's leaving scene. What?

The Dalek story at the time was a vast improvement. Ace and McCoy's Doc seemed to work together well, were fun in their banter ,and for once, there seemed to be some real action going on. Still, the stupid continuity references that went on...were actually and usually quite wrong. For example: Susan's school didn't have uniforms. As for the bat scene...ah well. Looked at today, the whole thing falls apart in the end with only the Davros gets his comuppance (didn't he?)of any value and the DOc destroying Skaro (didn't he?) having any real emotional depth. Ace loses a boyfriend? Okay I'll give you that. So this one is more a winner. WHat came after that? Darned if I know.

SILVER NEMESIS: worst story ever. Maybe. Need to see this one again. It's pretty bad from what I remember. JNT's time made the Cybermen great in EARTHSHOCK but wore them down gradually to make me HATE THEM! Ace is back to being annoying in this.

GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY is a very, very good story, not without flaws but it is a very good story, creepy and strange in that DW way. McCOy is pretty good in it and Ace finds her feet and even seems to be a great comp. ANd for once the villains behind it all are staying mysterious, rather than being just, Oh you're from the planet Xeoteria and have to get a mineral here, don't you? A good story, well worth the time.

BATTLEFIELD: at the time I was like, "Shessh, they managed to stay alive after a crappy TRIAL season, a semi crappy last season and...we get this crap new Brig, Knights of the round table done better in EXCALIBER, and a tired looking old Brig...still, it's not as bad as SILVER or so many of the other stories at the times...there's some good stuff here but alot of crappy dialog that no one would ever say out loud in real life, mostly from Bambera. Ace plays it well, as does the Chinese girl she's with so no criticism there. The villains seem to be top notch so that's okay, it's just a bit mediocre but still not a time waster.

At the time of airing, I thought :the show's doomed with GHOSTLIGHT followed quickly by CURSE OF FENRIC. These two stories threw everything at us quickly with either murmured explanations or none at all--and I don't need everything spelled out but when you have: Viking relics, vampires, ancient threats from the past, curses, lake monsters, a baby Ace, Ace's grandmother or mother, faith, a cmpouter, Russians, Germans...all thrown at you, you tend to want some narrative. Seen today, both GHOSTLIGHT and CURSE can be viewed as being ahead of their time. They are not without many flaws and faults but they are definitely higher up on the scale of stories than they were. Yet anyone tuning in could be forgiven for tuning out as they were somewhat uncomprehensible at the time...I love McCoy telling Ace off in CURSE just because he had to make her lose her faith in him. Toerags they both are. IMO Ace is still not a believeable teenager or even a realistic character. To repeat someone else, I've never met an Ace in real life.

SURVIVAL: no real complaints here. I just hate seeing animals die on screen and this one has a great deal of death and savagery but it's part of the story and not really done gratitously, well, except for having the dead cat around. I'm glad they went out with this one as it's more traditional.

Some day perhaps I'll try to sit through all the McCoy's again...

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 06 2008 @ 08:54 PM EDT
    I have to disagree with your overall impression. I think McCoy was brilliant as the Doctor. He had a nice balance of abusurdity and mystery. His timing was spectacular. I think he did a yeoman's job with the weaker scripts. And Ace was one of the best companions in the series' history in my opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 06 2008 @ 09:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Some day perhaps I'll try to sit through all the McCoy's again...
    Don't. Your impression is perfectly valid. Why endure the pain again?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, June 06 2008 @ 08:33 AM EDT
    I too haven't watch the McCoy stuff in a while, just a bit here and there. But I generally seem to have more or less fond memories. I did have more trouble understanding things Sylvester said more than any other Doctor. I have a bit of a problem sometimes with David - I think it has to do with the speed of their talking more than anything.

The first season was touch and go. Time and The Rani to me was pretty bad. I found the Rani dressed as Mel to be a bit confusing at first and then just disturbing. I did however really like Paradise Towers. I'm a fan of the whole apocalyptic huge empty structure/city genre. Yes, the effects of them trying to soften the show up was felt in this, but overall I think it did pretty good. Delta and the Bannermen...I know this is mentioned quite a bit because of the bus in space. I actually remember this story being okay. I liked the concept of aliens taking tours to Earth (aka Voyage of the Damned) Dragonfire I loved at the time. I liked Sabalom Glitz from the Trial of a Timelord so it was nice to see him back. I liked the idea of the villain doomed to live in the cold, and I though Ace was a good bit of fresh air. Dave has his feelings for Wendy Padbury, I have mine for Sophie Smile

Season 25 - Remembrance I liked. C'mon - SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK and I was a teen. I don't recall much else other than the blonde girl. Happiness Patrol I have never rewatched because I thought the idea of The Candyman was just about the dumbest thing I'd ever seen. Silver Nemesis I liked and Greatest Show I didn't like at the time, however much like Season 26, it makes a lot more sense now that I am older (and possibly wiser).

Season 26 - I though the stories were finally getting good - less of the "We must sugar-coat Dr. Who". However, at the time I didn't get all the overall themes, deeper meanings, etc... of the stories. They were a little complex for my high-school brain. Also, my free time was disappearing at that time so I didn't have as much time to watch them, pay attention, etc... I do think these stand up a lot better over time. And I actually liked Ghostlight a lot. Still don't fully understand all of it, but then again, Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me also made sense to me so go figure.

Overall, I had some definite opinions at the time, especially just coming off the Trial season which I really enjoyed (Gallifrey, Master, Matrix). Most of the episodes I felt were hit and miss, with a couple real good ones and one season that was confusing as hell. Now I may go back sometime and watch this and that to see how I feel now. I really do like McCoy as the Doctor, and his Big Finish stuff is real good. I'm glad he returned for the TV Movie as well.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 31 2008 @ 03:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon] I too haven't watch the McCoy stuff in a while, just a bit here and there. But I generally seem to have more or less fond memories. I did have more trouble understanding things Sylvester said more than any other Doctor. I have a bit of a problem sometimes with David - I think it has to do with the speed of their talking more than anything.

Must be the Scottish-ness coming through Wink I think with Sylvester it was the way he chose to voice the character. Weird emphasis on the words, rolling R's and he did speak a little quicker than say, Tom Baker or Davidson.

I just marathoned the Seventh Doctor's tenure and really enjoy his portrayal. I'll be the first to say that he truly shone in the 1996 TV movie and it was a shame that the regeneration had to happen so quickly.

"Time and the Rani."
    This is probably the one episode of the Seventh Doctor era that I have trouble watching. I'm not a fan of the Rani so I'm biased but I'm also not a fan of Bonnie Langford. That screaming - yikes. Some of the special effects like the bubble were pretty good given the time as well as the opening sequence of the Tardis being shot down.

In fact I tend to ignore any McCoy story until Ace shows up. Sophie Aldred and Sylvester McCoy had/have such chemistry that I find episodes after Dragonfire to be easy to enjoy. Ignoring pretty lame villians (which run rampant in that era, ugh, Candyman) I can easy be drawn into the plotline. That said there are far too many Nazi-esque villians/plotlines which can make those two seasons repetitive.

In the end I find that Sylvester just played a different type of Doctor and if you are patient and allow the stories to unfold you'll see a remarkable difference between seasons. Season 25 showed an actor trying to play a more light hearted and silly Doctor who gradually matured and then became a little mysterious. This would have been great (and I feel was reflected in the TV Movie) but again this was brought to the extreme by force.

Suddenly it was more mystery, more mystery "Look how mysterious I am!" which is evident in Silver Nemesis with mentions of the Doctor's secrets. Secrets that we are never privy to.

"You would make a good Dalek."
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, March 26 2009 @ 02:39 AM EDT
    I agree that the writing at the time wasn't the best example of Who (though I really loved season 26, from Battlefield to Survival I think it was smashing). However, when speaking McCoy's I also tend to include the audios (because of the few I've heard so far and numerous reports from others). When you add the audio's into the mix, McCoy's era goes from a bit wishy washy to really fantastic. I think he's one of the best Doctors we've had so far, and yes, I am including my beloved Four in that.

[Quote  by:  Chase]IMO Ace is still not a believeable teenager or even a realistic character. To repeat someone else, I've never met an Ace in real life.

I think she was a bit exaggerated, but I've been friends with at least 3 people who I am strongly reminded of when I watch Ace episodes. What I think throws people often is the fact that Ace's attitude would seem more normal on a troubled teen boy than a troubled teen girl, and getting past that gender bias is a bit hard for some people to do when they haven't met anyone to prove it false.

Of course, Ace is also a bit more "cleaned up" than the people I'm thinking of: you can't have that kind of attitude and background without a lot of residual anger or hurt, and while they do well to bring up Ace's vulnerability, I have yet to see a true example of the anger that a character like her would most likely have (even if only to a small degree). Maybe it's just expressed with her lovely Nitro-9 Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 26 2009 @ 11:55 AM EDT
    You know what's crazy is that everytime my PBS station that broadcast Doctor Who gets to McCoy it stops for a couple of months, then they start over again with Baker. I finally saw Dragonfire all the way through, but then poof! gone. I just checked my grid and they are showing
    "42" this weekend along with the confidential but no classic Who, which usually follows the Tenant era stuff. I can say that I like McCoy, but most of my knowledge of him comes from the Audios, which are fantastic.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 28 2009 @ 09:40 AM EDT
    Yeah I'd have just as much trouble seeing Ace's personality on a male as much as a female. I'ts not what she says and does as much as how she says it and does it. NO ONE I've ever met (perhaps I'm just lucky not to have met people like Ace), even some of the angry males, talk, speak, and act in that manner. I guess if I squint hard I can see what they were going for but I think Ace is better when she's more charming and touching and then sticks up for the Doctor rather than just so...I don't know, awful. One thing for sure I'd want her on my side in a fight. And she's one of the comps I'd pick to be with me: i'd feel safer with her and Leela. AUDIOS: McCoy's audios are VERY VERY good. love them. I especially love the ones with either Benny (only two I think) and HEX. Hex, Ace, and the 7th Doctor make a FANTASTIC TEAM.

ONe recent audio had Hex and Ace talking, infrontof the Doc, about his real reasonsfor taking them to placdes for holidays: usually some mission to stop some godlike monster or an invasion. Very funny sequence.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 10:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Yeah I'd have just as much trouble seeing Ace's personality on a male as much as a female. I'ts not what she says and does as much as how she says it and does it. NO ONE I've ever met (perhaps I'm just lucky not to have met people like Ace), even some of the angry males, talk, speak, and act in that manner. I guess if I squint hard I can see what they were going for but I think Ace is better when she's more charming and touching and then sticks up for the Doctor rather than just so...I don't know, awful. One thing for sure I'd want her on my side in a fight. And she's one of the comps I'd pick to be with me: i'd feel safer with her and Leela. AUDIOS: McCoy's audios are VERY VERY good. love them. I especially love the ones with either Benny (only two I think) and HEX. Hex, Ace, and the 7th Doctor make a FANTASTIC TEAM.

It's true that no one I've met does EVERYTHING like Ace does, but the similarities are there. You have to remember that during Seven's seasons, some of the characterization started out being very one dimensional. Of course, later on Ace definitely gains multiple layers that make for so much loveliness, but the initial Ace (the one we meet in Dragonfire and who continues through for the next couple episodes) still makes the basis for the character. (And the people I know are lovely individuals, even with all the flaws and such).

Though I agree, I love it when Ace is being all charming and loyal <3

I haven't had the chance yet to listen to anything with Hex, though I'm really looking forward to it, since I've heard great things about him and Ace together. I especially want to hear Night Thoughts, since someone told me it was fantastically spooky and greatly written.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 07:47 PM EDT
    I wish I could remember what the title of this one was but withut giving things away, there's marriage involved with Hex, Ace, and the DOctor and it's very funny.

I also seem to rcall, possibly the same one a scene where Hex and Ace go through a long list of times when they thought the Doctor took them on a holiday via his own words but the reality was...some mission for them all. Very funny stuff.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored