The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Nicholas Courtney (the Brigadier) at a Creation Con in May '86
    Nicholas Courtney (the Brigadier) at a Creation Con in May '86
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  In Moffat We Trust - the new cry
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    In Moffat We Trust - the new cry Views: 4031
     Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 10:11 AM EDT
    right... ive given this some thought.

RTD... JNT... all 3 letters... BUT can we call him Moff?

maybe the Grant Moff?

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 10:46 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    So when Moffat takes over what's the most likely change?

1) A new Doctor
    2) A male companion
    3) The Doctor finds his daughter alive and she comes aboard the TARDIS
    4) Sally Sparrow comes aboard the TARDIS
    5) The Doctor has more off-world adventures

Cheers, daveac

6) Better stories

Since the end of series 2, everything (IMHO) has been mediocre - with a few exceptions (Blink, Human Nature 2 parter, etc). Would it be too much to ask to just have Moffat step in right now to try to salvage what's left of series 4?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 11:23 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    6) Better stories

Since the end of series 2, everything (IMHO) has been mediocre - with a few exceptions (Blink, Human Nature 2 parter, etc). Would it be too much to ask to just have Moffat step in right now to try to salvage what's left of series 4?

Your opinion - OK - but it's seems a bit harsh.

The one thing I wouldn't say about 'Fires of Pompeii' in the current series is that it was 'mediocre' - just to name one story.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 12:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

1) A new Doctor

That might not be a change Moffat wants to make, but Tennant may well have decided to leave in the x-mas 2009 special. In which case, the new Doctor would certainly be cast according to what Moffat wants in a Doctor.

[Quote  2) A male companion

I think the latter is very likely. I doubt Moffat saved her life without having plans for her. And he often rights from experience - Press Gang, Joking Apart and Coupling are all heavily influenced by his own life and he is a family man nowadays.

[Quote  4) Sally Sparrow comes aboard the TARDIS

The thing is, I'd like if it she came on board with her boyfriend. But I'm not sure that's what you have in mind Smile

[Quote  5) The Doctor has more off-world adventures

I think the show is going to continue, year-on-year to get more confident at doing them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 12:05 PM EDT
    6) Better stories

I would say that the first half of this series has been much stronger than the the first half of last Season (IMHO Series three was the weakest of the new era). I really enjoyed the Sontarans (Which with the exception of the Sontaran Experiment) I never did in the Classic Series. Fires of Pompeii was great. UATW, the Doctors Daughter, Partners in Crime and Planet of the OOD were all solid, slightly above average, good stories.

Okay, so no 'Blink", "Girl in the Fireplace", "School reunion", "Impossible Planet" or "Doomsday" yet. But on the other hand no "Idiot's Lantern", "Fear Her", "Smith and Jones" or "Last of the Time Lords".

Plus Donna is a much better companion than Martha, whom I never really liked much (this can be verified by a quick scan of the forums). I think my opinion is validated by the fact she was essentially written out of the TARDIS.

Hopefully, Mr Moffat will get rid of the Messiah/Power of God scenes, rely less on total resets (though one could argue the end of "The Doctor Dances" was an example of that.

I think he may concentrate on the time travel aspect of the TARDIS. "Blink", "the girl in the Fireplace" and "time Crash" all involved complex time travel (and if you count Time Agent Capt. Jack you could argue that Empty Child/Doctor Dances has time travel elements in it).

Personally, Interestingly Steven has never been involved (as far as I know) with returning classic monsters - only new creatures of his own invention. It will be interesting to see if he turns his back on classic monsters, or brings back his favorites.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 12:08 PM EDT
    Also be interesting to think about what he would keep from the RTD era:
    1) the story arcs
    2) more emotional journeys for the Doctor
    3) probably the episode format (although would be interesting to see if we get more/ fewer two-parters)
    4) the continued absence of the Time Lords (it certainly manages to maintain that shroud of mystery around the Doctor)
    5) a recurring cast of characters who are not necessarily companions (Ok really comes from the Pertwee era but used a lot since the return of the series and these characters don't have to be a companion's family members)
    Anything else?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 01:13 PM EDT
    I hope Moffat allows us to see more rooms of the Tardis. I miss that from the classic series.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 01:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] I hope Moffat allows us to see more rooms of the Tardis. I miss that from the classic series.

I agree...I've been a big advocate of a totally self-contained story inside the TARDIS. Maybe some evil entity loose in the TARDIS and they need to flush it out..sort of like Masque of Mandragora meets (the end of) Invasion of Time.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 22 2008 @ 05:09 PM EDT

1) A new Doctor?

I'd say the odds are 60-40 that Tennant retires along with Davies, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for one final season. Moffat would certainly not show Tennant the door.

2) A male companion

I give that just a 30 percent chance, only because I don't think there's an appetite for more than one companion on the TARDIS in a stretch. It's easier to tell stories when you only have to find things for a single companion to do, and having a female companion provides more contrast to the doctor and appeals to a broader demographic. If Moffat goes for two companions, then you'll definitely see one of them being male (see below).

That's a near-certainty, though I don't see her as a series regular.

4) Sally Sparrow comes aboard the TARDIS

One in five chance here. Sally's a breakout character, but I suspect there's a lot of competition for Carey Mulligan's services. And I'm not sure what you could do with her if she became a series regular. The only way I see to make her a unique companion is to bring the boyfriend along as well.

5) The Doctor has more off-world adventures

I seem to recall reading, but can't find the reference, that Moffat, like Davies, believes that the point of Doctor Who is time travel. Anchoring Doctor Who to Earth gives time travel meaning, as opposed to other planets where it really doesn't matter what year it is -- the setting trumps the timeline. If we're looking at a conversion to high-definition for Series 5, then I'd guess that the budget problem will resurface in a big way, placing a lot more pressure on the team to stay Earth-focused as well. There'll be the occasional jaunt, but "time" will continue to be emphasized over "space" in "TARDIS." I'm 84.5 percent positive on that.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 23 2008 @ 06:57 PM EDT

I think the chances are pretty much a certainty that Jenny "the Doctor's daughter" will be back. But I am less certain that she will join the Doctor as a companion in the TARDIS. Oh, I am not saying it could never happen, I just saying that I am not too sure they would go that route.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, May 24 2008 @ 10:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] I hope Moffat allows us to see more rooms of the Tardis. I miss that from the classic series.

I agree...I've been a big advocate of a totally self-contained story inside the TARDIS. Maybe some evil entity loose in the TARDIS and they need to flush it out..sort of like Masque of Mandragora meets (the end of) Invasion of Time.

Having just watch "Invasion of Time" they would just need to find a brick lined corridor ending at a swimming pool. In fact, apparently the inside of any windowless building will do.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 25 2008 @ 11:33 PM EDT
    [Quote 
    Having just watch "Invasion of Time" they would just need to find a brick lined corridor ending at a swimming pool. In fact, apparently the inside of any windowless building will do.

Indeed, they could go find the *same* building from 1978 for continuity. Is it still standing?

Time will tell. It always does, except when it has Laryngitis.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored