The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Oh my!
    Oh my!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Paul McGann Era »  Some observations about the movie(Spoiler war..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Some observations about the movie(Spoiler warning) Views: 1704
     Friday, March 24 2006 @ 11:49 PM EST
    I found the movie, which I thought I had seen before but must not have recorded the first minute or so of since I don't remember the part about the Master being sentenced to death, and have made a couple observations. I might notice more as I am only a few minutes into the film right now.

First, I noticed the Sonic Screwdriver was back. Something I thought only came back with the new series and think I have seen/heard mentioned as coming back with the new series.

Second, and I might have misheard this, but I think I heard mention on a recent podshock about the wind effect when the TARDIS de-/materializes being a new addition. It was a part of the movie, as well.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 25 2006 @ 09:18 AM EST
    Fell asleep watching it late last night.

Another observation: when the Doctor and Grace are running from ITAR, they hold hands much like he and Rose do in Rose.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 25 2006 @ 07:11 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  jafo] ...

Second, and I might have misheard this, but I think I heard mention on a recent podshock about the wind effect when the TARDIS de-/materializes being a new addition. It was a part of the movie, as well.

That's true. I also believe that the coral-like structure inside the TARDIS in the new series is a nod to the beams we saw in the console room of the TARDIS of the TVM.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, March 25 2006 @ 07:26 PM EST
    I think that was a great change, though in the movie it looked much more industrial. I like the flowing organic look in the new show much better. Also, the area around the eye of harmony looked very much like the ramp and area surrounding the new console.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 02 2006 @ 08:40 PM EDT
    The movie could have been better, but Paul McGann is an
    awesome Doctor! And the TARDIS interior was by
    far the best ever.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 02 2006 @ 09:06 PM EDT
    I have to say that I had a very similar experience with the TVM. I thought I had seen it all until recently when I came upon it and watched from start to finish.

I realized only then that I had missed a good 15 minutes of the thing. I don't even recall McCoy being in it.

The interior of the TARDIS is gorgeous in the TVM.

I even liked Eric Roberts as the Master.

I think the only thing I absolutely hated about it was the script.

McGann - awesome. Grace - a very nice companion. The TARDIS - excellent. Eric Roberts - if you must have an American actor play the Master, he's a good choice. The Y2K bug problem - a great premise for a 1996 movie.

But man, the script just sucked.

And it's too bad. As an attempt to bring the series back, it showed promise. But the problem was of course - it wasn't made in the UK. There isn't an American network who would know HOW to bring back Doctor Who if that's what it came down to.

Sure, they could find some Who fans here in the US that could do it justice, but when it came to hiring the "suits" any studio in the US would twist and turn it into something impossibly stupid.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, April 03 2006 @ 02:04 AM EDT

Sean,

I just recently read The Nth Doctor. This gives an interesting story of scripts that did not make it to shooting. There are some that are better than the final one chosen and those that were worse. The interesting thing is that many of the concepts seem to have been developed in these scripts as if they were actually a serial, and we have a number of seemingly baseless revelations, which had been developed in previous scripts. There were a few interesting origin type scripts which I think would have been interesting for the franchise.

James made an interesting point in Podshock 32, that the British audience for the most part liked Doctor Who: The Movie, and it is the American audience that has not embraced it. Also, I think somewhere else I read that the main reason that Fox did not pick up the series was that there was another "similar" series (from a network exec's point of view) that was being produced in house, so that series got the nod over Doctor Who. It was mostly a business decision based on maximizing returns on resources.

I remember that the night it aired on Fox 5 in New York, I was recording it in my VCR, while I was at my parent's place watching baseball. There was a no-hitter thrown that night. I would switch to the movie during commercials, and finally watched the movie completely when I got home that evening.

Does anyone know what ratings it got in the US in 1996?

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, April 03 2006 @ 06:34 PM EDT
    When this was discussed in Podshock 32 it got me thinking about James comments about it being well received in the UK. I can remember there being considerable excitement about it and the BBC running adverts saying "He's back and it's about time" (which was quite clever).

One reason I think it went down well in the UK that it took a series we were used to and gave it (to the British) a new spin. Many people I know were looking forward to seeing a Doctor Who that had actually had some money thrown at it. Ironically, in trying to make the show more appealng to the American audience, I think the producers took away what had appealed to many of the exisiting US fans (the quirky non-American feel) and gave them a pretty routine, standard sci-fi flavoured show.

Abersoch

P.S. Just wondering - the TV movie aside, is the new series of Doctor Who (even though it's one year old) the closest airing that the US has ever had of a Doctor Who episode to it's original production date?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 03 2006 @ 06:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] P.S. Just wondering - the TV movie aside, is the new series of Doctor Who (even though it's one year old) the closest airing that the US has ever had of a Doctor Who episode to it's original production date?

The Five Doctors was screened in North America before it aired in the UK!

It'd take a lot of research to answer your query, as dozens of stations probably carried it throughout the years.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 01:37 PM EDT

With all this talk of the TV movie you guys make me want to dig up my copy on VHS and watch it again. I recorded it when it aired on Fox and I think I even edited out the commercial breaks. The challenge will be to find it. Many of my old videotapes have been "put away" by the wife so it might be fun just finding it.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 04:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] P.S. Just wondering - the TV movie aside, is the new series of Doctor Who (even though it's one year old) the closest airing that the US has ever had of a Doctor Who episode to it's original production date?

It's the closest we've had in Minneapolis (where I live). Before that, I think we got the first episodes of the 5th doctor two & 1/2 years after he started. I still remember that our local PBS station actually had "ads" for the new doctor, and they never gave us any ads on Doctor Who prior to that (only things like, "Don't miss British TV night, Saturday!" as we'd start with Monty Python and then go into two episodes of The Doctor)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 04:15 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

The Five Doctors was screened in North America before it aired in the UK!

It'd take a lot of research to answer your query, as dozens of stations probably carried it throughout the years.

Taras
    Well, the easiest, most accurate answer to this question, I think, is that the screening of Series 1 is, for the majority of the country, the nearest-to-British-premiere Doctor Who has ever seen in America. While it's true that "The Five Doctors" did premiere in the US, it only did so in one market. For the vast majority of American markets, it was the "lure" with which PBS affiliates got pledge money out of its membership that year (or even the following year). I distinctly remember "The Five Doctors" not premiering for almost two years after it had been broadcast in the UK. (Colin was already in his his first full season in the UK by the time we got it, which kinda took some of the punch out of the title.) I'm almost positive we saw "The Five Doctors" before "Castrovalva" premiered.

Series 1 is the first series of Doctor Who ever to be simulcast nationwide. "Rose" was only the second story to be available to all parts of the US on the same night (well, maybe a little bit less than the WHOLE country, given FOX' market saturation in 1996).

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 05:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Sean,

I just recently read The Nth Doctor. This gives an interesting story of scripts that did not make it to shooting. There are some that are better than the final one chosen and those that were worse. The interesting thing is that many of the concepts seem to have been developed in these scripts as if they were actually a serial, and we have a number of seemingly baseless revelations, which had been developed in previous scripts. There were a few interesting origin type scripts which I think would have been interesting for the franchise.

James made an interesting point in Podshock 32, that the British audience for the most part liked Doctor Who: The Movie, and it is the American audience that has not embraced it. Also, I think somewhere else I read that the main reason that Fox did not pick up the series was that there was another "similar" series (from a network exec's point of view) that was being produced in house, so that series got the nod over Doctor Who. It was mostly a business decision based on maximizing returns on resources.

I remember that the night it aired on Fox 5 in New York, I was recording it in my VCR, while I was at my parent's place watching baseball. There was a no-hitter thrown that night. I would switch to the movie during commercials, and finally watched the movie completely when I got home that evening.

Does anyone know what ratings it got in the US in 1996?

Taras
    Lotta stuff to respond to here, so I'll just quote the entire thing.

In roughly reverse order, Wikipedia gives a good summary of the American experience, including ratings figures and the whole Sliders connection. You'll want to read the discussion about this section of the article, though, because there was a healthy disagreement between the editors on how far to go in their assertions.

I think it's a little naive to say that the British weren't disappointed with Doctor Who (1996), just because they watched it in bigger numbers than the Americans. I've talked on various fora for ten years about this thing, and I've not noticed a great divide of opinion on the finished product based on national origin. I think it's widely regarded as a poor script. If anything I've sensed British resentment over the nature of the production deal, which worked against the story continuing in the form of a series.

An interesting assertion I've read, without any real factual underpinning, has been that there was a fundamental misunderstanding between the parties involved. FOX, according to this story, never seriously intended the thing as a pilot, but, rather, only the producers did. If this be true, then the quality of the script was really a moot point.

The only things I can say about the veracity of this claim are that: a) despite much research, I have never, ever seen a quote attributed to an American network executive in which they've ever used the word "pilot" in conjunction with the McGann movie; and b) it was definitely not commissioned as a pilot. To the extent it was a pilot at all, it was very definitely a backdoor one. On the slim chance it did really well as a movie-of-the-week, FOX would then consider ordering it as a series.

British sources frequently pin the revival's hopes on the thing acting as a pilot, and are therefore upset with the Americanization that went wrong. But if the network wasn't looking for a pilot, then that's hardly fair criticism. Given the similarity of the Sliders concept, which was already on-air at the time of the 1996 movie, I think Universal was never going to actively push for Doctor Who, which only saw the light of day due to signed contracts that predated those signed for its own property, Sliders. And FOX, which aired Sliders, was never going to back Doctor Who, since it had already sunk money into Sliders. Maybe, maybe if the Doctor Who movie had absolutely blown the doors off the competition that night, both parties might have rethought things, but it would've had to do the virtually impossible and beat Roseanne. That was not going to happen, so the moaning about the script is really moot.

As for the Nth Doctor, I absolutely agree. Fascinating book. Should be required reading for any serious fan of the production side of the program. Especially those interested in writing. And those who moan and *censored* about RTD. Seriously, there's not one really excellent script there, and writers from all different ends of the Guild tried their hand. Next time you get in an RTD-bashing mood, you really should read this book.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 10:23 AM EDT
    Did you all know that there is an editor's cut out there? I recently found it on a devilish little site (cough cough) and it boasts several scenes that did not make it into the broadcast version.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed