The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Two Doctors (1985)
    The Two Doctors (1985)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Tom Baker Era »  the Sontaran Experiment
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    the Sontaran Experiment Views: 2069
     Sunday, March 26 2006 @ 09:37 PM EST
    I just watched this story, and enjoyed it very much. I appreciated it's brevity. Also, I thought that the Sontaran looked pretty good. I am watching Tom Baker's first season in order, and I think that the character writing is getting better. I know Sarah Jane Smith is legendary, and I agree with that status, but I thought in Robot she was written poorly. Well, companions are often written poorly, but I can feel the season hitting it's stride. Ark in Space was better than Robot, and next after Sontaran Eperiment is I believe, Revenge of the Cybermen, which is one of my personal favorites. It's amazing to me how the whole feeling of the show changed when Tom Baker came on board. Pertwee's era had such a definite feeling, and likewise, so does Baker's. Three stories in and it feels like it is 5 years down the road.

Heath Holland
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, March 27 2006 @ 02:46 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] ... It's amazing to me how the whole feeling of the show changed when Tom Baker came on board. Pertwee's era had such a definite feeling, and likewise, so does Baker's. Three stories in and it feels like it is 5 years down the road.

This is the point I always try to make when I hear people complain that the new series is too different from the past ('classic') Doctor Who. Not only does the Doctor regenerate, but the show itself is constantly regenerating. It's one of the factors of its success and longevity!

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, March 27 2006 @ 07:49 AM EST
    just to correct myself before anyone else, Genesis of the Daleks is story 78, not Revenge of the Cybermen.

Heath Holland

Monday, March 27 2006 @ 07:58 AM EST
    A good story if a little breif (mind you it is a 2 parter) Laughing Out Loud I would like to see it on DVD soon.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 27 2006 @ 09:18 AM EST
    I used to have every episode recorded from Detroit PBS on tape from Robot up through the last of McCoy, but slowly, over the years, I recycled the tapes.

But thanks to modern technology, and my dilligent scouring of Amazon.com, I now have this entire season available for watching.

And while I thought Robot, my first-ever watched episode, was a bit weak on plot, and had a metal robot growing in size, which broke my suspension of disbelief, the character writing was good enough to keep me interested.

And while Pertwee was trapped on Earth, the first season of Baker wasn't much different. In it he may have visited a couple of worlds, but he was anchored to Nerva station, and the planets he visited were just caves and quarries, so it was very like the Pertwee era for at least the first season.

But the atmosphere of the Nerva beacon was excellently portrayed, and I'm kind of glad they used it as a base for the series.

I liked Ark in Space much more than Robot, and it remains one of my top 10 episodes to this day.

However, when The Sontaran Experiment came on, I was thrilled. I don't know how to explain it, but this would have been my third (if I recall) episode, and I really really began to like it.

I hear some negative response to the Sontaran Experiment, but I have no idea why. I really loved the clinical cold brutality of the Sontarans experimenting on humans in preparation for an invasion force. I even liked them being mentioned in my favorite of favorites - Horror of Fang Rock.

I wish they had used the Sontarans more throughout the years. Perhaps RTD will take the hint and bring them back in series 3.

Anyway, yeah, good episode.

I've also recently re-watched Genesis of the Daleks, (which came with Experiment in a two-VHS set) and Revenge of the Cybermen which I watched with my 10-year-old daughter this weekend. (She loves Sarah Jane Smith and Tom Baker). All pretty good episodes, that first season.

And if you watch the documentary which introduces Tom Baker as the new Doctor, (I forget which DVD that comes on, but I saw it recently - perhaps Ark in Space?) the interview/segment mostly takes place in the Revenge caves.

Fun stuff.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, March 27 2006 @ 10:29 PM EST
    I know exactly the interview you speak of, but I also can't remember which dvd, you are probably right (I'm too lazy to walk up the stairs to look at the box). I loved the space station as the hub for these stories too. As for the Sontarans, I think that their look was far more chilling than the cybermen or daleks. They had a great aesthetic.

Heath Holland

Sunday, April 23 2006 @ 02:33 PM EDT
    This one was okay. It had some good moments. It was done really on the cheap and often looks it to me.

I guess it was a good link between The Ark in Space, which I really liked, and Genesis of the Daleks, which I tolerate. I much prefer Revenge of the Cybermen during that season.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 23 2006 @ 03:08 PM EDT
    I like the whole season, but Genesis really stands out for me. Even after almost two-decades of Doctor Who viewing, this is still my favorite story, hands down.

I've ordered the DVD from the UK, but it still hasn't arrived in the post yet Frown
    When I heard that Genesis would be released on DVD, I initially hoped that they would bundle the Sontaran Experiment on it, a la the VHS release. But they didn't I doubt that episode will ever be released on DVD. It is so short that bundling really makes sense. And now both Ark in Space and Genesis of the Daleks have been released, and it isn't on either of these bookends.

Saturday, June 24 2006 @ 03:20 PM EDT
    I always quite liked this story as well, but I long labored under the misapprehension that Liz had slightly overacted in the episode. It was literally over a decade from the first time that I saw it that I realized that Sarah's first adventure was also with Sontarans and therefore really got why she was as frightened as she was in the episode. Now I watch the episode and think she's quite braver than her screams bely.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 03:43 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  James Brown 1977] A good story if a little breif (mind you it is a 2 parter) Laughing Out Loud I would like to see it on DVD soon.
    It's scheduled for an October 2006 release.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored