The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Peter Davison in Sydney
    Peter Davison in Sydney
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4E13 Journey's End [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4E13 Journey's End [SPOILERS] Views: 8786
     Tuesday, July 08 2008 @ 08:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Darkman216] I haven't seen this mentioned but is anyone else upset that there was no resoultion provided for the Judoon or Shadow Proclomation. In The Stolen Earth the Doctor just left, did they just stand there and twidle their thumbs after that.

A very good point. With the number of times it has been brought up, you'd think they would have made the more impressive.

Also, why didn't the TARDIS translate the Judoon speech? I guess Dave (AC that is) needed an inspiration Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 08 2008 @ 08:49 PM EDT
    Maybe it was to show that the Shadow Proclamation is all talk and no action.

You know like the United Nations, why take action when you can draft a resolution after resolution?

Sorry, I'm not a fan of the UN. :-/

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 08 2008 @ 11:30 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]Also, why didn't the TARDIS translate the Judoon speech?

Because narrative consistency is outweighed by a really funny David Tennant scene? Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 09 2008 @ 07:50 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Darkman216] I haven't seen this mentioned but is anyone else upset that there was no resoultion provided for the Judoon or Shadow Proclomation. In The Stolen Earth the Doctor just left, did they just stand there and twidle their thumbs after that.

I did notice it and thought it was kind of lame. My season 3 box set came in recently and my wife and I rewatched Smith and Jones last night. When the Judoon came onscreen, even she remarked, "they never showed them again in the finale, did they."

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 09 2008 @ 10:45 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX]
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]Also, why didn't the TARDIS translate the Judoon speech?

Because narrative consistency is outweighed by a really funny David Tennant scene? Smile
    I think this is a basic misapprehension of the scene. Sure, yes, it's very funny, and precisely what an otherwise oppressive few minutes of preceding narrative needs. But to have had the Doctor and Judoon speaking English to each other would have been a huge continuity error, in my estimation. It was established in S&J that the Judon needed to sample a person's speech first before being able to communicate in their language. The TARDIS doesn't need to do that. So in the "Translator Faceoff", the TARDIS wins. It's working perfectly fine. We're hearing it work.

See, the Judoon have no time to establish the language of the occupant of the TARDIS. A guy just pops out and they begin speaking in their language. He displays an ability to speak Judoon, so the matter is dropped. The only English we hear them speak is a single line after Donna identifes herself as human. We can easily surmise that they were able to quickly access their previously-recorded Human language ("Designation: English") to utter their one and only line in English.

Another way to look at it is this: when the Doctor lands, the TARDIS has translate for Donna on the one hand and the Judoon on the other hand. Graeme Harper merely showed us one of those two translations. Doesn't mean the translator circuits aren't working. Would it have been cool to have intercutting between Judoon and English? Sure. Is it necessary to believe the TARDIS is working correctly? No.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, July 09 2008 @ 09:06 PM EDT
    The just need a babelfish

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 10 2008 @ 12:37 AM EDT
    Does anyone think that the original idea for the "second Doctor" was supposed to allow for the return of Eccleston? The more I watch this thing, the more it seems like Eccleston would've been a more natural fit to what the character was alleged to be by the Tenth Doctor.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, July 10 2008 @ 01:28 AM EDT
    I think so, even his clothing echoed CE's Jacket and t shirt.

At times I swear I heard DT do his northern accent and speech pattern.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 10 2008 @ 09:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Smitty] I think so, even his clothing echoed CE's Jacket and t shirt.

At times I swear I heard DT do his northern accent and speech pattern.

-cs™

oh, good. I thought maybe I was the only one. There definitely was a moment when he lost the plot of adopting Donna's speech patterns(which was the goal, right?). During the first watching, I thought he dropped into his natural Scots, but watching again it reminded me of a Northern dialect.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 10 2008 @ 10:49 PM EDT

I think the performance was trying to echo both, depending on the scene, Donna and the post-Time War Doctor. It is quite possible that the script may call for one or the other depending on which aspect RTD wanted to highlight in the said scene. And in the farewell scene, the comparison is even mentioned in the dialog. And that Doctor is wearing a maroon jumper like the Ninth Doctor did.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, July 16 2008 @ 04:58 PM EDT
    I'd like to throw my two cents into the ring.

1) I have heard folks saying that this ep puts the nail in the 8th Doctor movie theory that the Doctor is half human. I would disagree, politely.
    This episode puts a nail in the human/Time Lord metacrisis theory, if there was such a thing. A Time Lord and human cannot merge via regeneration glowy energy. Alright. I accept that, or at least, a human cannot absorb the mind of a Time Lord safely. This does not preclude A Time Lord and a human having a child who has Time Lord physiology but who, because of his paternity, has regeneration quirks no other Time Lord has, and has an affinity for the Earth and all life.
    Apparently a Time Lord can absorb the partial phsyiology of a human safely as evidenced by the other Doctor 10. A child born of mixed parentage is not the same as a fully grown human suddenly gaining the mind of a Time Lord (not that we even known what that means, quite..information? history? brainwave patterns? physiological changes? thoughts? emotions?)

2) The Doctor exiles himself (a psychological conundrum for another time) for mass murder, but didn't the Doctor himself make the move that ended Gallifrey and the Daleks in the Time War? (I believe this was mentioned in Unquiet Dead) Could someone clear this up for me?

3) So Donna's memory wipe = the Death prophesied by Dalek Caan? Seems a bit of a cop-out to me..or is it his own other self's future death?

4) Does this episode clear the path, so to speak for River Song? The "older", more pensive Doctor who has seen his darker side personified in a sense will be the one she travels with and we suppose, marries?

Just a few musings..

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 16 2008 @ 11:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  8thDoctorLover]1) I have heard folks saying that this ep puts the nail in the 8th Doctor movie theory that the Doctor is half human. I would disagree, politely.

Well, if the Doctor was already half-human, and then went through this "regeneration", he would then be three-quarters human. But he says he's only half-human. Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, August 02 2008 @ 02:37 AM EDT
    i just watched it.

well done Russel, well done.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, September 28 2008 @ 09:17 AM EDT
    I usually don't post, but what the heck...

Davros - Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

Dalek Kahn - love the voice

Daleks speaking German - would have giggled like a schoolgirl if my family weren't in the house

Two doctors standing together with Rose at the end - damn good SFX, couldn't tell it was faked like in most shows

Throwing in K9 - fan w*nk heaven

I absolutely love the new series just like I love the original series.

Sorry, but anyone who can't enjoy Doctor Who and other great shows for what they are is simply too hard to please. Forget your judgements for an hour and enjoy the entertainment!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored