The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Noel Clarke's new movie
    Noel Clarke's new movie
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Who is truly the most special of the new seri..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Who is truly the most special of the new series companions? Views: 899
     Friday, July 11 2008 @ 02:34 AM EDT
    Now with the 4th series behind us and the idea of Donna Noble being such a special and uniqe person being such a strong theme this series, it got me thinking, was she the most special of the new companions?

I understand that this worked with her character, since she was someone that didn't think highly of herself, but when I thought about it, the person that I thought was the most special out of Donna, Martha, and Rose, was Martha.

Rose had to absorb the time vortex to defeat the Daleks and needed the Doctor's intervention in order to survive. Donna needed the Doctor as well so survive the ending of 4th series and neither of them really knew the consequences they had to face. Martha on the other hand, used nothing but her wits and the Doctors advice to survive over a year by herself in a horrible world and had to intervene to save the Doctor in the end. Of course it was the Doctor who saved the day (the show is usually about him after all) but Martha did all of the grunt work in a way few companions had done before, followed by quickly rising to being a well respected member of U.N.I.T.

So, that being said, I feel Martha is truly the most special of the companions the Doctor has had since the show's revival. What does everyone else think?

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 03:27 AM EDT
    I think you're exactly right, and have always stood up for Martha as the most realistic, most interesting, most intelligent — and certainly most beautiful — companion of the modern era. She had me from her deftly negotiated walk-n-talk down the street to work. Plus she's the only character you can put in the spin-offs and still instantly recognize. She is this era's Sarah Jane.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM EDT
    I loved them all but think that sadly Martha was the most underused of the new companions. It almost felt as though the production team realising that they could get Catherine Tate back discarded Freema.
    I would like to have seen more of the genius which was saw in the Family of Blood where she shone as a character and an actor.
    But have to say I loved Rose. I loved Donna. I love Jack (so much more as a companion than in Torchwood).

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 12:36 PM EDT
    I disgaree, but for the same reasons.
    For me, the most outstanding companion was pre-Torchwood Jack.
    He left his life of sin and crime to become part of the TARDIS crew. The Doctor 'saved' him, and in return, Jack became a valid memeber of the team. I loved all his tinkering and fiddling whilst adding the extrappilator(sp?) to the TARDIS, i loved his inclusion in Boom Town, and to his final stand as leader of the fight against the Daleks, staring death in the face just before being exterminated in 'Parting of the Ways' puts him number one in my book.

That said, i dint much like him in Utopia onwards!

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 01:23 PM EDT
    For me the real magic of New Who (Sorry CyberColin...wait...no actually I'm not sorry at all! Twisted Evil )for me began with the Empty Child and the team of the ninth Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack. This magic continued to the end of the season. There was a feeling that a lot of adventures had passed between the Doctor Dances and Boom Town. I would have loved this to have stretched into a second season with this team. To have seen how Jack gradually changed from the wheeler-dealer to the hero in love with both of them and willing to sacrifice himself. Here's hoping that Big Finish can get its hands on these actors and the rights one day!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM EDT
    As I type this I'm waching the Friday night BBC3 repeat of Journeys End. We've just got to the bit where The Doctor has wiped Donnas mind, taken her home and told her family they can never talk of what she's achieved. Her Grandad has said-

"All those wonderful things she did", and "but she was better with you".

I still can't get over how cruel Donnas fate has been. Not just for Donna, but for her family too, especially her Grandad. She probably wasn't my fave companion (ditto above, it's Martha for me) but she deserved better than this. And so did her family.

Anyhoo... I think we've seen the last of Rose too (probably for the best) but with luck Martha will be joining Torchwood (judging by Jacks last comments in this episode).

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 01:03 AM EDT
    Though Donna's fate was very harsh, it was in a way mirroring most of what had happened to both Jamie and Zoe at the end of War Games, just changing a few details like the Doctor being the one to willingly wipe her mind, and having Donna's family involved and remembering what had happened. However, the Doctor is still in the same boat: having companions out there who shared great experiences with him and grew substantially as characters to have all of those memories and learning experiences taken from them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 04:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Omega] Though Donna's fate was very harsh, it was in a way mirroring most of what had happened to both Jamie and Zoe at the end of War Games

That's a very good point Omega, I''d forgotten about Jamie and Zoe. Man, these Dr Who script writers are a harsh bunch!

But unlike Jamie and Zoe (who we can tell ourselves somehow cheated the mind wiping process) if Donna ever remembers she will die. I almost feel sorrier for Donna's Grandad than Donna - after 80 years of staring at the stars and wondering what was up there, his grand daughter finally got to go but he can never ask her about it.

Let's hope Donnas Gramps gets to join Torchwood!

Anyway, the fave companion seems to be a toss up between Martha and Jack so far.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 09:47 AM EDT
    Of the new series companion's I have to put Donna first, followed by Rose. Personally, I find Martha to be a very distant third. I'm not sure if I like Martha less because I thought that Series 3 was the weakest of the 4 so far, or just because she's such a Goody-two-shoes.

Is it just me or is this years Rose, different? (She looks different and is speaking with a different accent)

With regards to the "occasional" companions I would go SJS, Jack, then Jackie and Mickey.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 02:57 PM EDT
    I certainly understand how the third series can be the weakest to many people. It did have a slow start, but it did have some of the better stories from the new series in it AND it is the only series to end without a Dalek invasion. I would say though, that unlike Donna and Rose, Martha came across as always needing to prove herself to the Doctor in a way that the other companions never did. There was something very special about Rose and Donna in the series, but Martha was never really considered special and I think that spoke to me more than the other companions. Not that I don't love all the other companions. I do. Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 14 2008 @ 08:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] Is it just me or is this years Rose, different? (She looks different and is speaking with a different accent)

Nope, not just you. I had read an interview with Billie that said she had to go back and watch her old eps again because since she left the Tardis she's been playing "posh birds." It seemed to me that she really wasn't able to drop that posh accent.

I think in another thread Magpie (and others) brought up that she seemed to have lost weight (with a few comments on hoping she isn't turning into a skinny hollywood chick).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 15 2008 @ 11:34 AM EDT
    If we're talking about total media exposure in the UK, than Captain Jack would win this hands down.

I've seen John Barrowman on every chat show going at least once, cookery shows, a judge on talent shows, even a show that hypnotised him and took him back to his past life as a circus clown (!!!). It's good to be busy so I don't blame him but he does seem to be everywhere! Anyway, just saw this story on IMDb:

-------------------------------------

Barrowman Has Gay Test

15 July 2008 5:08 AM, PDT

Openly gay actor John Barrowman has undergone a series of tests to determine the cause of his homosexuality, as part of a new documentary.

The Dr Who star is fronting new series The Making Of Me, in which he undergoes experiments to determine if he was born gay or whether his sexuality was affected by his environment.

And he is now urging the parents of gay teens to watch the programme to better understand their children.

He says, "When I first started in my career, I thought I'm here to entertain people, nothing more.

"But as I've got older, my career has gone in a different direction... Now I get a lot of letters from young people who are either in the position of being shunned by their families or are fearful of coming out.

"I thought I could help those people and help everyone understand. It's a question: Is it nature or is it nurture?

"If you're a parent with a gay child, watch it."

The Making Of Me airs on the U.K.'s BBC One on 24 July.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored