The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Cyberheads and Cyber Welly Boots
    Cyberheads and Cyber Welly Boots
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  The problem with Jack
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The problem with Jack Views: 874
     Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 09:58 AM EDT
    Okay, is something that has troubled me.

At the beginning of Utopia, the TARDIS abhors Jack and throws itself to the end of time to avoid him.

They get back to Earth using Jack's Teleport, so no continuity problem there.
    When they enter the TARDIS on the Valiant, it has been converted into a Paradox Machine so not moving through time to avoid him can be explained away.

At the end of "end of the Timelords" this situation has not changed but the Doctor asks Jack to travel with him, but how would this work if the TARDIS can tolerate him?

At the end of "the stolen Earth" Jack boards the TARDIS, but it is not in flight or taking off so perhaps it can accept his presence whilst landed. The Daleks remove power and move it, so again perhaps we are okay.

But towing the earth back from 1 second out of sync with the universe presents a problem. The TARDIS is "flying"/traveling and some time displacement is required to resync the Earth, So why didn't they end up in some far flung time? Did the Doctor switch off the "temporal airbag"?

Any thoughts on the matter?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 11:25 AM EDT

Since the TARDIS and the Doctor are linked, it may be that the Doctor's avoidance of Jack was amplified in Utopia. When the Doctor accepts Jack, the TARDIS would not try to ditch him anymore.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 12:12 PM EDT
    Maybe it's because he was clinging to the outside instead of safely inside. Personally I never fully bought into the fact that Jack could hold onto the TARDIS as it dematerialized. Similar, to the flaky continuity about the outer skin of the TARDIS being able to withstand anything except a Shakespeare-era arrowhead, I would have expected the TARDIS to demat and Jack to fall to the ground. I mean, this isn't the phonebooth in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure where it drops away into a wormhole that Napolean can fall into.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 03:03 PM EDT
    I was thinking the same thing as tarashnat. It would make sense that the reason is because the Doctor and the TARDIS are linked somewhat. Granted that may bring up some issues with the TARDIS being gutted to create the paradox machine, but its a thought.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 13 2008 @ 05:20 AM EDT
    I think we just gave Lawrence Miles his next blog topic!

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 14 2008 @ 12:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Maybe it's because he was clinging to the outside instead of safely inside. Personally I never fully bought into the fact that Jack could hold onto the TARDIS as it dematerialized. Similar, to the flaky continuity about the outer skin of the TARDIS being able to withstand anything except a Shakespeare-era arrowhead, I would have expected the TARDIS to demat and Jack to fall to the ground. I mean, this isn't the phonebooth in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure where it drops away into a wormhole that Napolean can fall into.
    Well there would have been no Doc/Jack reunion, no winding up at the end of the universe, no return of the Master and RTD would have to go to Plan B. A 3 part Slitheen epic!

More farts than you can shake a stick at.

Actually I'm of the mind the TARDIS does not demateraialize like the folks beamed on Star Trek.

I see it as a dimensional shift that looks like it's fading out and they just happen to call it dematerialization.

Make sense I dunno...

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic