The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  Stewart Builds a Dalek
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Stewart Builds a Dalek Views: 8780
     Monday, October 13 2008 @ 01:23 AM EDT

It keeps on looking better and better. We need something like this for our trip to Boston for the 45th anniversary. Maybe we can have Peter Davison come out of it.

Keep up the great work and keep the progress reports coming.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, October 18 2008 @ 01:21 AM EDT
    14th October 2008
    -----------------

Added the collar detail above the gunboxes and the other lower half collar tonight

Photobucket
    Photobucket

Once the glue dries can trim them tomorrow night then add the spacer blocks for the final outer lower collar

16th October 2008
    -----------------

Trimmed back the hard board on the inner lower collar. Then added the spacers for the outer lower collar.
    Hope to add that tomorrow. The end of the shoulder section appears to be in sight.
    After that it is foam, filler and sanding.

Photobucket
    Photobucket

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 27 2008 @ 10:30 PM EDT
    October 19th 2008
    -----------------

Summary: Progress followed by set-back followed by change of direction

1. Cut the from lower front band, and glued it in. Everything held in place by a couple of clamps and some nails, like so
    Photobucket
    All well and good, however I didn't soak the hardboard before I attached it.

2. Once the glue was dry and I removed the clamps, the hardboard straightened itself and pulled away from the spacer blocks
    pulling out nails etc. it actually ripped away a layer of the hardboard which was still glues to the spacers.

Anyway, put it back in place with "loads" of glue. This time all stayed attached, however when I trimmed the bottom of the collar off with the jigsaw (as per usual). The hardboard started splitting. The only other time this happend was on an upper collar section which, now I think about it, didn't get soaked prior to application either.

Moral of the story: Soaking your hardboard before applying it to curved surfaces reduces stress in the board and lets it conform to the shape more easily (It therefore also reduces stress in the Dalek builder).

3. At this point am total Pi$$ed off with doing shoulders, so decided to move on to something else for a break. I have been under pressure from various household members to give some space back in the garage so I have decided to the casters to the fender and attached said fender to the skirt.

So off to Lowes and bought 3 5" casters (one with a brake). $9.98 each ($13 with brake).
    Photobucket
    Whilst I was there I picked up a 1" diameter broom handle and a 1"Forstner drill bit, to use the peg locator method of lining up skirt to fender.
    Photobucket
    Let me start off by saying the Forstner drill bit is really neat and certainly fun to use.

Firstly, I turned the skirt up side down and drilled four 1" holes in the base. The turned it right side up and located it on the fender and centered up. I marked up the locations of the four holes and also the large hole in the bottom of the skirt, since my fender still had a solid top.

Cut-out the large hole in the fender, then used the Forstner bit to make 1" holes about halfway through the fender top.

Next I cut 4 lengths of the broom handle, each about 3cm long. I used the power sander to rounf of the top of each. I put one of these "pegs" into the fender holes, then checked that the skirt went over these correctly. Fortunately it did. Then I glued the pegs in place. After the glue was dry I applied screws in from the other side of the fender just to make sure that the pegs were not coming out.
    Photobucket
    Then put fender and skirt together to check alignment. Everything is AOK inside and out (though the inside could do with a bit of tidying up).
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    When they are located together, it feels pretty secure (I am intending to use a more robust method of attaching them together at a later date, this is just for rough centering).

If I attached the casters direcly to the fender top, I would only have about 1cm ground clearance, which is obviously inadequate. So I spent this evening building some blocks to raise the clearance to about 5cm. The struts on the underside of the fender meann that the blocks have to be interesting shapes resulting in them taking a fair bit of time. So far one is complete and the others need finishing off tomorrow.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 27 2008 @ 10:35 PM EDT
    October 22nd 2008
    -----------------
    Well just finishing up the caster installation before returning to the shoulders.
    Drew some paper templates for blocks to fit between the fender struts. Cut double thicknesses of 3/4" MDF for each.
    Bolted the castors to the first block and drilled recessed spaces for the boltheads into the second (another great excuse for fun with the Forstner drill bit).
    Glued the recessed blocks to the fender.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Once the glue dried overnight, attached the castor blocks to the recessed blocks using 1" screws.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Whole fender glides nicely. Too nicely, it doesn't want to sit still on my slightly sloped garage floor. I am now glad I got at least one caster
    with a brake. I am very pleased with the locator peg arrangement the skirt just pops on and into place in a couple of seconds.
    Here is the fender with skirt attached and the complete stack (well dome plug on the ground and a dismantled neck in the background.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    The gap between the fender bottom and the ground seems huge (about 55mm). Looks okay in the photos but I can see the casters easily
    "in the flesh" so to speak.

Another small task completed.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 27 2008 @ 10:39 PM EDT
    27th October 2008
    -----------------

Got a fair bit done this weekend, but the results don't look hugely different.

Firstly, finished the outer lower collars on the shoulders (hurray!). Started a little filling on the gaps and front detail too. Mainly so that the expandable foam used to fill the spacer voids doesn't start squirting out where I don't want it.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Need to tidy up the filler a little, make sure all the collar edges are close to level then I'll fill the gaps with expandable foam.

Also spent some time applying filler to fender. Previous images probably didn't show it too much but some of the panels were pretty wonky. Looks much better now.
    Photobucket
    Spent quite a bit of time working on the neck section, should have it together sometime this week.
    Finally, on Sunday my garage was invaded by the Sinister Davranda (wearing an equally Evil Hannah Montana T-shirt)
    Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, October 31 2008 @ 09:26 PM EDT
    31st October 2008
    ------------------

Rebuilt my neck over the last couple of evenings. Everything looks straight now.
    Hopefully the neck blocks will cover-up al the glue padding up the enlarged neck
    strut holes.

Photobucket
    Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, November 01 2008 @ 02:28 AM EDT
    Stewart, your dalek is looking great!

THanks for the updates!

Saturday, November 01 2008 @ 08:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  ExtermaKnitter] Stewart, your dalek is looking great!

THanks for the updates!

Thanks from me too.

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 10:15 PM EST
    5th November 2008
    -----------------

Pam & Dave,

Thanks for the encouragement, nice to see someones watching.

On Sunday I did some filling of the fender and shoulders then last night I taped up the shoulders.
    So this evening was (as Adam from Project Dalek says) "Fun With Foam" night. Unfortunately, I ran out of foam about
    80% of the way through and had to pop down to Home Depot for a second can.

"What the Heck is he doing?" I hear you all say, stay tuned all will be revealed.

Photobucket
    Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 19 2008 @ 06:08 PM EST

Any more progress?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, December 19 2008 @ 11:48 PM EST
    Not much. My mum and Dad came to stay for three weeks over Thanks Giving and we went to Las Vegas. After they left my Kids have been competing in various Sporting and Musical Events, so time has been scarce.

I have trimmed the foam back and started applying Car body filler to them. However we had a cold snap and the filler doesn't dry well at tmperatures below 50F so I had to stop.Temperatures are back up into the 60s now, so I am hoping to get back into the swing of things this week. Perhaps there will be a significant update at the end of the weekend.

Thanks for Asking.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 10 2009 @ 04:19 AM EDT

Any further updates? Or did you decide to just dump it into a pond somewhere Twisted Evil (kidding).

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, March 10 2009 @ 07:06 AM EDT
    I am due un update.

Some progress has been made, but I have had to slack a little. There have been lots of family things going on (my parents over from the UK, three kids in multiple sports each etc) and many work related stresses (just finished write 3 technical papers for a conference).

Hope to get cracking as the nice weather returns. It is much easier to spend time in the garage (and do sanding or sawing in the yard/driveway) when it's light in Evenings and warm.

Need to finish before the Daleks invade in 2150.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 11 2009 @ 12:17 AM EDT

You are mentioned as a Dalek builder (and an authority in such) in the latest episode of the Sonic Newsdriver.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic