The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Autographs session
    Autographs session
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Fringe and Doctor Who
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Fringe and Doctor Who Views: 854
     Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 03:30 AM EDT

To my understanding there is a television series on Fox (here in the US) called Fringe. I have not seen it, but word is that it was awfully similar to Doctor Who... specifically from what I learned, the episode Midnight.

Anyone see it? Thoughts or reactions?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 03:39 AM EDT

OK, I found some clips from the show. Towards the end of this promo there is some dialog that is in fact right out of Doctor Who: Midnight as there is a character that is speaking the words of another at the same time or before the other character is able to speak it.

There's also a character named Astrid in it, by the way.

Other than that, I don't know if there are any other similarities to Doctor Who...

Arrow See here

Fringe seems to be a science fiction and/or fantasy related show on Fox which I assume is a new show that started this fall season. Once again Fox goes out of their way to find their target audience. As I didn't even know of it until now.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 04:41 AM EDT
    Louis:I watched the pilot and it not too bad. It's a crossover of x-files and the burning zone. If you like cell DNA and tripping on drugs,this is you show.As time goes on it may lean toward x-file, but check it out. Cheers Robert

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 07:42 PM EDT
    I don't know that I can see any real comparisons to DW in Fringe. Maybe I'm just looking at face value only. But you've got one guy with no morals who experimented on people during the Vietnam era with the gov'ts blessing (who then, of course, was committed to an insane asylum and spent the next 17+ years there), his kid, who has daddy issues and missed potential issues, and an FBI agent who was in love with a traitor. While there is good repartee between them when they are together, and the science is very sketchy (Popular Mechanics mag does a disection of the shows science after every episode), I just don't see the connection.

Though I should add that Fringe does take place in my favorite east coast city -- Boston! (no disrespect to Louis, Ken and Taras with your NYC connections)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 08:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I don't know that I can see any real comparisons to DW in Fringe. Maybe I'm just looking at face value only. ...

I have never seen the show. I think what everyone might be pointing to is a scene which is basically right out of Midnight. You can see it in the link I posted above to montage of video clips from the episode. Towards the end of the promo, there is a character that is speaking the words of another character before he can say them. It is very similar to what we saw in Midnight.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 10:36 PM EDT
    Ive been watching Fringe from the beginning and love the show. Great characters. Ya gotta love John Noble who plays the insane scientist. John Noble was Steward Denethor (Boromir and Faromir's father) in Lord of the Rings.

I never once thought of Doctor Who when watching it. It is simular to X-Files though. --Billy

Oh the phantom Piper!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 02 2008 @ 12:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Billyaxe] Ive been watching Fringe from the beginning and love the show. Great characters. Ya gotta love John Noble who plays the insane scientist. John Noble was Steward Denethor (Boromir and Faromir's father) in Lord of the Rings.

I never once thought of Doctor Who when watching it. It is simular to X-Files though. --Billy

Oh... There's an actor named John Noble in it... Hmm... any relation to a Donna Noble? Wink

Thursday, April 09 2009 @ 01:46 PM EDT
    There was an episode with a man with two hearts...a dead man. ANyone with two hearts will di

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 09 2009 @ 07:46 PM EDT

I have heard that Leonard Nimoy is coming to the series. I am not sure as a guest star or as a regular. I have still never seen an episode of this show.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, April 10 2009 @ 10:53 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I have heard that Leonard Nimoy is coming to the series. I am not sure as a guest star or as a regular. I have still never seen an episode of this show.
    He is indeed. I suppose his part is best described as "a regular who's always there in spirit, if not in body". He's playing the elusive Dr. Bell, who's Dr. Bishop's former lab partner and the current head of Massive Dynamic. Put most simply: he's the chief villain.

Unsurprisingly, he will appear on the 12 May edition of Fringe, just in time to drum up/take advantage of interest in Star Trek's second weekend of release. That'll be the season finale for Fringe, but Nimoy will continue in a mutli-episode arc at the top of Season 2.
    [Quote  by:  Louis] . . . I don't know if there are any other similarities to Doctor Who
    There aren't. You could unfavorably compare Torchwood to it; i.e. Fringe:Torchwood::actual world travel:EPCOT.
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Fringe seems to be a science fiction and/or fantasy related show on Fox which I assume is a new show that started this fall season. Once again Fox goes out of their way to find their target audience. As I didn't even know of it until now.
    I think you're being too hard on FOX because of lingering resentment about other shows. In fact, the ratings have been stellar — it's a top 20 show which more often than not wins its time slot — so they're effectively marketing it. Plus, they're sucking some people in with a value-for-money argument; they're genuinely 50-minute episodes, not 42. But beyond all that, it's really not a genre SF show; it's X-Files 2.0. Thus, it's the Lost, CSI and 24 watchers that you really want to hit. This move to get Nimoy in at the end of the series is brilliant, because they've gotten non-SF fans hooked already and are only now playing a huge "geek" card. It's perfect, cause if somehow an SF fan missed the show to this point, they'll tune in to see Nimoy and get sucked in to what will likely be an awesome 2-hour finale. It's exactly how I got sucked into Smallville. Totally ignored the show because it was marketed as 90210 with Kryptonite, then they announced Christopher Reeve, and his first episode was jaw-droppingly brilliant. And it's going to be the same way with this 2-hour finale, but MUCH bigger. There's going to be SO much press bouncing around Star Trek the weekend before the Fringe finale, it'll only be natural to point out, "If you liked seeing Leonard Nimoy again this weekend, check out Fringe on Tuesday." Given that the show's already posted regular season episodes in the mid-teens, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale approached 20 million viewers. This show's going to be around for a while.

Now if FOX would just bring Dollhouse behind Fringe on Tuesdays, they'd have an entire must-see night of original, extra-length TV.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored