The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    K9 and James
    K9 and James
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  (Spoiler?) Make It So in Doctor Who
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    (Spoiler?) Make It So in Doctor Who Views: 1374
     Sunday, October 05 2008 @ 08:58 PM EDT

Yet another rumour coming out of the tabloids... it's one that has been going around for some time, but it seems to have gotten a bit more traction today for some reason with the latest article from the Daily Star.

This actor had been previously rumoured to appear in Doctor Who before.. Such as taking the part of Davros. As it turned out, there was no truth to that one and he did not play the part of the returning creator of the Daleks character.

Whether there's any truth to this one, it remains to be seen. Judge for yourself:

Once again --> Possible SPOILER Alert

Arrow The Daily Star article here

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, October 05 2008 @ 10:40 PM EDT
    If it's true, that would be great. we haven't seen him since the mega-story "The Daleks' Master Plan" (season three original series)but I don't think he really fits the role.

Possible spoilers (in white):
    Patrick Stewart is too formal an actor to play the meddling monk, the monk was slightly more comical than him. But that's my opinion.

Who knows - it might work.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 12:20 AM EDT
    I would disagree with that. I've seen him in numerous roles and doing a wide range even on his show. Why not create a character for him? Given his abilities and fame level I would be cool with him getting a new awesome character instead of a re-tread of someone who hasn't been seen or thought of in almost 40 years. It's one thing to do that with creatures (Macra) but I think it would be too hard with a character. Besides you can't be last timelord in Cardiff if you keep bumping into your buddies from school all the time.

Robin Hood in outerspace, what could be funnier than that?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 12:31 AM EDT
    ...........................................the Meddling Monk?

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 06:26 AM EDT
    I would have thought with his gravitas and presence he could play Mavic Chen

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 09:31 AM EDT
    This was in the Sun too!

They also reckoned [spoiler]That the Zygons and Ice Warriors where coming back[/spoiler]

EDIT: here's the link

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 01:34 PM EDT
    Just saw this on TrekToday.com. I don't know if I can see Patrick Stewart in the role. The Monk wasn't a menacing character and he did have a good sense of humour. Maybe he can pull it off, but I can't think of any similar roles or characters Stewart has done to make a comparison.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 05:19 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] Just saw this on TrekToday.com. I don't know if I can see Patrick Stewart in the role. The Monk wasn't a menacing character and he did have a good sense of humour. Maybe he can pull it off, but I can't think of any similar roles or characters Stewart has done to make a comparison.
    I, for one, don't care so much how the Monk comes backójust that he does. And I can't object to Patrick Stewart. In the first place, the Monk is a Time Lord, with the ability to regenerate into an entirely different personality. He doesn't have to be like the Butterworth interpretation whatsoever.

Still, if you use the original as a template, there's every reason to believe that Stewart can pull it off. The Monk's game is one of masks. He appears one way to the locals, and another to the TARDIS crew. Stewart's a guy whose won the Laurence Olivier for his one-man A Christmas Carol, in which he played every part. He has enjoyed a number of roles in which he was specifically cast against type, such as in the film Jeffrey and a well-noticed guest shot on Frasier. He was nominated for an Emmy for just playing himself on Extras. Particularly relevant from his recent body of Shakesperian work is that of Malvolio from Twelfth Night, which he has played as recently as 2007. Malvolio is, like the Monk, a dichotomous character who appears as an upstanding Puritan, but who hides an active fantasy life ripe with self-indulgence.

So, sure, he's got a huge body of work in which he plays the "authority" figure. But he does have a whimsical side that's gotten solid backing from critics. And he has a proven ability to quickly shift through character facades.

He'll be just fine as the Monk. The more intriguing question is whether the character will actually get a name on this outing, since his name isn't the Meddling Monk at all. Yeah, he's gotten a name or two in print, but we've never had any definitive statements about his name or character in television before. Will he still be caught in the past, just as he was when the First Doctor left him? Will he have repaired his TARDIS? These are all fascinating questions that are of much more interest to me than who plays him.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." ó JNT, 1986

Monday, October 06 2008 @ 06:33 PM EDT

I agree with DarthSkeptical.

Also I would add that although the Monk came off as a 'humourous' TimeLord - he was also an extreamely clever one - maybe devious would be a better desciptor.

Patrick could take the role to whole new heights.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, October 07 2008 @ 03:32 AM EDT

I can't believe how this has really caught fire more so than the previous rumours when he was going to be on Doctor Who playing the part of Davros which we all know did not happen.

Earlier today Wil Wheaton posted something about here on "Propeller" (which seems to be an AOL version of Digg) pointing to The Sun article. Many have assumed that since this is coming from Wil Wheaton it's a confirmation. But even Wil comments that he hopes The Sun article is accurate.

Arrow here

It may very well be accurate. Perhaps Wil knows for sure but is unwilling to make any public announcement as such until it is officially announced.

Currently Twitter seems to be ablaze with everyone cheering this news. Again, all I am saying is that we don't know for sure yet. I am admirer of Patrick Stewart and would love to see him on the programme, but until we know for sure, we need to measure our excitement about it.

Sometimes, like with other recent tabloid stories about actors and actresses appearing on the series, people want them to be true so much that they assume that it is... I'm no different sometimes.

Once again there is also talk of Ice Warriors and Zygons returning... Big news there too. These rumours have been around since Doctor Who returned to television.

Steven Moffatt did say that he rather not focus on drawing from the long history of Doctor Who, but rather focus on making future history now. Making stories that will be the stuff of nostalgia in the future.

But who knows (pun intended).

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, October 07 2008 @ 01:00 PM EDT

Casting an actor of Stewart's calibur in a recurring role would give Doctor Who even bigger cred than it has now. I always thought that the Meddling Monk was a much more interesting character than the Master. Also, the Monk was the programme's first recurring villian. Sure, we had recurring monsters in the Daleks. I would have loved to have had a story featuring the Monk encountering the Second Doctor. That would have been a riot.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, October 07 2008 @ 04:30 PM EDT
    Returning I would be down with. Heck I would vote for him to do an Eccelston and be the Doctor for a season. But they want to got younger. My point was that I would want something he could create. Though on second thought a character that hasn't been see in 40 years is pretty much a blank slate.

But yeah give him a recurring long-term role.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored