The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Naoko Mori
    Naoko Mori
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  If Patterson Joseph is chosen as the 11th Doc..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    If Patterson Joseph is chosen as the 11th Doctor Views: 937
     Monday, November 03 2008 @ 04:13 PM EST
    I have some thoughts on Patterson Joseph being the Doctor and I'm curious what others think.

Although it was cut from the 'Christmas Invasion' many are aware that the 10th Doctor's accent comes from close association to Rose during his 9th Incarnation.

That being said, if you're a fan of the 8th Doctor BBC7 adventures with the Doctor and Lucie Miller, you may believe (like me) that the 9th Doctor got HIS accent from his association with Lucie during his 8th incarnation. (She's from the North!)

Now, I COULD argue that the Doctor's change in skin pigmentation could have something to do with his association with Martha and/or Mickey when he regenerates (If Joseph gets the role).

Here's my concern, wouldn't essentially being 'Black' or of 'African descent' make it harder for him to travel freely in certain periods in history? Martha mentioned something similar in the beginning of the Shakespeare Code, didn't she? That being said, does that present a problem that the writers will ignore or does it present a challenge to them to overcome creatively? (I'm hoping the latter!)

I'm curious what your thoughts are on this.

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, November 04 2008 @ 02:06 AM EST
    That's a good thought.
    How different would the Idiots Lantern have been if the Doctor were black? Certainly his influence over the family (I forget the name) would be lessened, especially with the father. Then again the writers largely ignored the issue, to the good, in Daleks in Manhattan.
    Personally I think it would do the show good to have it's perceptions shaken up. I thought Patterson Joseph would make a good Doc way back when I first saw him in Neverwhere.

Bollocks...sir.

Tuesday, November 04 2008 @ 08:47 AM EST
    Thats a big leap from accents to genetics. Accents can easily change for anyone depending on where we live and given enough time to pick them up, but we aren't born genetically predisposed to an accent.

Picking up someones genetic traits would give the Doctor an almost chameleon like quality which I think takes things a bit too far for the character.

It is much easier to assume that he would pick up an accent, if he travels with someone rather than picking up a genetic trait.

I would hope they would stay consistent with the character. If they can change the character too much, why not change the gender as well?

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 08:16 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] Thats a big leap from accents to genetics. Accents can easily change for anyone depending on where we live and given enough time to pick them up, but we aren't born genetically predisposed to an accent.

Picking up someones genetic traits would give the Doctor an almost chameleon like quality which I think takes things a bit too far for the character.

It is much easier to assume that he would pick up an accent, if he travels with someone rather than picking up a genetic trait.

I would hope they would stay consistent with the character. If they can change the character too much, why not change the gender as well?

Well, I personally agree with you in that regard, as well as with the Gender issue when it's been suggested that the Doctor become a female. No, I say! There's no precedent that says a Time Lord can change gender, we've seen female Gallifreyans and male, never any mention of "Oh! You're a woman this time!" or "I see you decided to see what it's like to be male!" Rubbish I say, but that's just me.

Romana, however, did show a chameleon like ability to change her skin tone while 'trying on regenerations' in the one episode when she went from Romana 1 to Romana 2.

Personally, I like to think that the Doctor's regenerations have never been anything he could consciously control for whatever reason, so one doesn't physically stray too far from the other.

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 08:58 AM EST

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 09:00 AM EST
    Well that was deep wasn't it.

What I said was... If the Doctor was letting the Tardis take him wherever for however many seasons that was, it would be more in his nature to let things happen randomly, rather than try to control and manipulate what goes on. But it was a lot funnier the first time.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 06 2008 @ 09:51 AM EST
    At first, Romana practically ridiculed The Doctor for not being as good a student as she was. There is the possibility that learning self-discipline and mental control is something that is taught at the Academy. We have also seen the Doctors body regrow a new hand in The Christmas Invasion, so there is apparently some flux in the bodies of Time Lords as they go through the regeneration process.

The flux and better mental control would explain how Romana could alter her body during its regeneration. In the past, the Doctor was unconscious or near death during the regeneration and may have been too weak to affect its outcome. Whereas Romana seemed to initate one out of choice.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored