The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Seal of Rassilon Headboard
    Seal of Rassilon Headboard
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  Hurt Heal - The BIG ONE!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Hurt Heal - The BIG ONE! Views: 5574
     Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 03:28 AM EST
    ...and then take my own turn.

And another one bites the dust...

The Fourth Doctor: 6
    The Tenth Doctor: 6 (+1)

---------------------------------------
    3rd: The Third Doctor: 0 (-2)
    4th: The Second Doctor
    5th: The Fifth Doctor
    6th: The First Doctor
    7th: The Eighth Doctor
    8th: The Ninth Doctor
    9th: The Sixth Doctor
    10th: The Seventh Doctor

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 06:01 AM EST
    Damn. too late to save jon...

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 10:53 AM EST
    The Fourth Doctor: 7 (+1)
    The Tenth Doctor: 4 (-2)

3rd: The Third Doctor

Yes, I still have the rubbish beard!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 12:06 PM EST
    The Fourth Doctor: 8 (+1)
    The Tenth Doctor: 2 (-2)

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 03:13 PM EST
    And..... Out.

1st: The Fourth Doctor: 9 (+1)
    2nd: The Tenth Doctor: 0 (-2)

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Saturday, December 27 2008 @ 05:31 PM EST

I'm really surprised that 9 went out so early.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 28 2008 @ 05:04 AM EST
    Colin Baker and McCoy could have been either way. Colin's audio work must have tipped the scale in his favour.

Would have put Ecclestone ahead of McGann and maybe even ahead of Hartnell. It must have been McGann's audio work and NA novels and Hartnell's many episodes tipping the balance against Ecclestone's single season.

Davison and Troughton are interchangeable but I prefer Davison.

Pertwee in 3rd is right for me. I enjoyed his stories.

I know everyone loves Tom Baker, but I really thought Tenant would have topped the list by now. His portrayal is so much more dynamic and full of depth than his predecessors. Part of that is down to modern scripting but the rest is down to his extraordinary acting ability. He is the Doctor to me now in a way that Baker was in his era, and I enjoy watching him more.

[Quote 
    1st: The Fourth Doctor
    2nd: The Tenth Doctor

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 28 2008 @ 03:31 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Milamber]
    I know everyone loves Tom Baker, but I really thought Tenant would have topped the list by now. His portrayal is so much more dynamic and full of depth than his predecessors. Part of that is down to modern scripting but the rest is down to his extraordinary acting ability. He is the Doctor to me now in a way that Baker was in his era, and I enjoy watching him more.

4 and 10 are pretty equal in my mind. I'm not sure I could choose one over the other. I think 10 is fresh and new, so that feels better, but I am more sentimental about 4.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 28 2008 @ 06:55 PM EST
    Well this was a really unfair contest.

For me Third, Fourth and Tenth should be top three, don't really care about the order.

However, Seventh being last is a Travesty, he is one of my favorites.

Were we ranking

a) The Doctor, i.e his character, characteristics, behaviour

or

b) The quality of the episodes that were given to them

If it is a) Sylvester shurely should be higher, if it is b) then maybe I would accept a lower position (but not lower than Colin Baker

c) If we are counting audio Drama then what about book (or are we judging the Actors rather than the characters)?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 28 2008 @ 09:51 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] Well this was a really unfair contest.
    Well, yeah. It's a hurt/heal game. The nature of the game advantages negative feelings over positive ones. It's the very definition of "unfair". The object of the game isn't just to eliminate options, but to do so quicky. Otherwise we'd be here for months.

It's also not a terribly accurate way to pick a "winner". Run this game five times amongst the same people and you'll get at least slightly different results every time. When a choice gets close to elimination, people will tend to gang up on that choice to get rid of it, regardless of what they really think. Pertwee's survival rate in this game, given how close to elimination he was at several points, is extremely atypical. Most of the time, once some momentum builds in favor of elimination it's difficult to reverse it. Pertwee's the only choice in the game who had massive swings back and forth.

That said, I totally agree that it was unclear what we were actually ranking.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 06:58 PM EST
    I agree with the previous quotes, especially Milamber's summation. Not so sure Pertwee was near elimination several times, but he did jump out ahead at the beginning which I would chock up to myself and Merlin being obvious Pertwee fans. Still, I suppose the trend is that when you see someone pulling far ahead (whom you may not agree with) one is tempted to 'hurt' that Doctor to bring his totals back down to earth, even if you don't think he's the current worst on the list. You'll see that When Merlin and I began pushing Pertwee up, others switched from hurting other doctors over to bringing down Pertwee...so to keep him on par w/ Baker and Tennant.

All in all, as a freshman to this website, I had a great time. It's hard to say you like one doctor over another. For every 'Blink' there's a 'Love and Monsters'....for every 'Talons' there is a 'Horns of Nimon'....as for Pertwee, he had Inferno...but we all have to suffer the memories of the Dinosaur Invasion too.

Happy New Year all

Yes, I still have the rubbish beard!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 10:20 AM EST
    Well, I've played, or closely watched, a lot of these over at OG, and, perhaps by virtue of the much larger number of people playing, it's almost impossible to stop a trend from happening. Pertwee in this example got within two "hurts" of elimination twice before the third time ultimately booted him off. Regardless of the question or possible choices, that's an unusual happenstance in a hurt/heal game. It is, however, more fun, because there was a sense that one had an ability to affect the outcome of this game. That's sometimes missing in the OG versions. The OG games sometimes happen so fast there's a continual danger of cross-posting.

Still it's important to view this as a game more than an accurate reflection of sentiment. A perfect example is the current hurt/heal game over at OG for every episode of the series and compare it to the results for the Doctor Who Dynamic Ranking site. Hell, you don't even have to compare it to that site, just compare it innate common sense. "Caves of Androzani" and "The Silurians" were eliminated almost immediately. According to that game, they're only marginally better than "The Twin Dilemma" and "Time and the Rani". The second episode voted out was "Image of the Fendahl", something that is usually regarded as slightly better than average (Dynamic Rankings has it at the 94th best story).

Other fun oddities:
      "Attack of the Graske" is better than "The Doctor Dances" and "The Empty Child"
      The "winning" part of "Trial of a Timelord" was "Terror of the Vervoids". In fact, it was the 91st best-loved serial. And way, way, way ahead of, for example, "Genesis of the Daleks" at 170th place.
      The prohibitive favorite for winning the whole contest is "The Moonbase". It has a seemingly insurmountable lead. Somewhat close behind is "Earthshock", although it's a good 15 hurts behind "Moonbase". Nothing else is currently close to these two.
      * The highest-ranking season will likely be Season 5. All but one of the 2d/Jamie/Victoria stories are still in the hunt with 83 stories left to eliminate.
      Likewise, the highest-ranking Doctor will be the Second. Virtually his whole catalogue will be ranked in the top third of all stories.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 03:37 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] That said, I totally agree that it was unclear what we were actually ranking.

And yet still we voted. Remind you of current day politics? Twisted Evil
    But seriously, I think that we were voting on all the above. We all define Doctor Who in so many ways now: do we include the audios, do books count, is it the actor? And yet quite simply, in the end we were voting for our favourite Doctors.
    I cannot separate Colin Baker or Paul McGann, for example, from the excellent audios that they made. If I judged the sixth Doctor on just his TV appearances then I would have voted against him a lot earlier.
    Also, with regards to the positioning of the tenth Doctor, I am quite happy to see him not take first place yet. I agree that his portrayal has been excellent but will it stand up to the test of time as I feel that Doctors 1 through to 4 have.
    In ten years time, will David Tennant's Doctor still feel fresh and exciting or a product of its time only? Difficult to say, I just know that when I watch the first four incarnations, they excite me almost as much now as they did back when I first saw them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored