The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Cybermen V Doctor
    Cybermen V Doctor
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  11th Doctor announcement Saturday!!!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    11th Doctor announcement Saturday!!! Views: 6599
     Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 10:37 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] And as for his costume, can't you just see him in a short Top Hat? (see what I mean about old time fans? *sigh*)

Ha, a top hat would be hilarious Smile

You make some good points. I certainly couldn't dismiss him without first seeing his performance. I think my only problem is one of expectation - basically I thought I knew the sort of show we were going to get under Moffat and the sort of actor he'd cast as the lead (his having gone on record many times saying the Doctor would always be around forty).

But the casting isn't what I expected and now I'm not sure what sort of show we're gonna get from 2010.

Any hoo, time will tell.

Btw, if you work in Forbidden Planet in the West End I'm in there quite a bit, I work in Soho and often pop in at lunchtime. I bought my Magnus Greel and Mr Sin figures in there for 7.99, about two weeks before I saw them in Woolworths closing down sale for 2.00!

Edit: So the way I see it, you owe me 6 quid Wink

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 12:29 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]This was like your 3rd post hoping it wasn't PJ, so I'm just curious what it is about the guy that makes you feel so strongly about him? I can't say he'd be my first pick for the role, but if he was chosen then I'd still be ok with it...

I'm not sure why I don't like him either, it's just the vibe I got from him.
    At first I throught it was because I really didn't want a black doctor, but that wasn't the case, as I was ok with all the other black actors whom names where also in the running. There was something I didn't like about him, I sure he's great, but I really didn't want him as the Doctor.
    Alot of people I know in the fandom down here felt exactly the same as me, a lot of my friends, the members of my Doctor Who Club, there was just a bad vibe we all got from him.
    Plus, being that this is the first regeneration I've ever experienced since being a Doctor Who fan, and seeing how I'm still feeling a little sad about anyone taking over from Tennant, I was really hoping that whoever the Grand Moff choose I would like, and I think I like Matt, but of course time will tell, but I'm going to be watching Party Animals while it's on TV here and check him out and see if I like what I see.

bye bye david :(
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 05:09 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Darth - I think the reference was to do with an un-known (relatively) being cast after a more well known actor had left the role - not to do with acting styles.

Cheers, daveac

Yes that's what I had intended to convey. Nothing to do with styles, more to do with...hmm...public image? That's still not quite what I mean but closer to it.

Bollocks...sir.

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 05:21 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  romana_II]
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]This was like your 3rd post hoping it wasn't PJ, so I'm just curious what it is about the guy that makes you feel so strongly about him? I can't say he'd be my first pick for the role, but if he was chosen then I'd still be ok with it...

I'm not sure why I don't like him either, it's just the vibe I got from him.
    At first I throught it was because I really didn't want a black doctor, but that wasn't the case, as I was ok with all the other black actors whom names where also in the running. There was something I didn't like about him, I sure he's great, but I really didn't want him as the Doctor.
    Alot of people I know in the fandom down here felt exactly the same as me, a lot of my friends, the members of my Doctor Who Club, there was just a bad vibe we all got from him.
    Plus, being that this is the first regeneration I've ever experienced since being a Doctor Who fan, and seeing how I'm still feeling a little sad about anyone taking over from Tennant, I was really hoping that whoever the Grand Moff choose I would like, and I think I like Matt, but of course time will tell, but I'm going to be watching Party Animals while it's on TV here and check him out and see if I like what I see.

One of my friends soured on Joseph after really not liking his work in Jeckyll, which was Moffat tailoring a part for him. That left him uneasy about being the Doctor.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 05:31 AM EST
    I was working over most of the weekend, so though I saw the announcement, I didn't have time to take it all in. After seeing a couple of interviews with Matt Smith I am intreguied & very pleased with the choice of the 11th Doctor. He has an odd (in a good way) & very interesting face. Still you can't go wrong with a Smith.
    On a trivial front I note that his birthday is the day before mine & he played for my football (soccer) team Nottingham Forest before a (shades of David Tennant)back injury forced him out of the sport.
    AS Ken Deep remarked on the podcast, it is slightly depressing to think I have been a Dr Who fan longer than Matt Smith has been a alive.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 11:00 AM EST
    This choice is too young and I would expect him to want to move on after a few years. I think younger people get bored more easily. Also, who is going to change his nappies?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 12:49 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] This choice is too young and I would expect him to want to move on after a few years. I think younger people get bored more easily. Also, who is going to change his nappies?

I think judgement should be reserved till after he has done a season (I have faith in Steven Moffat, he wouldn't have picked someone who can't do the job)! As for him moving on after a "few years", of course he will... Do you want him to stay on for a few decades? I think 3-4 years is a good length of time for any actor to stay in the part (the same goes for Head Writers and Producers) and I imagine he is contracted for at least two years (as David Tennant was).

I honestly don't understand how anyone can claim that he is a good or bad Doctor without having seen him deliver one single line as The Doctor!!! He does have a good face for the character, though... So far, so good!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 01:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] I honestly don't understand how anyone can claim that he is a good or bad Doctor without having seen him deliver one single line as The Doctor!!!

HEAR HEAR Exclaimation Exclaimation Exclaimation

That is exactly what I think too. Until we actually see him portray the role on TV, all judgements must be kept in reserve - then you can praise him or pan him.

Who Knows, he might actually be the best of them all (but I'm doubtful of that (my best is from the "classic" series)).

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 02:00 PM EST
    I'm not making any assertions as to whether or not he can portray the Doctor in some way, I'm certain he can do it, just as every other actor has done. It's more a matter of giving the impression that Doctor, like many other shows, are skewing their production to appeal to a younger audience. I feel, and have always felt, that whoever plays the Doctor should portray some maturity, not just emotionally, but physically. I think Peter Davison had the same problem, but he was a bit older when he took on the role and suffered less. Imagine Todd Smith's Doctor talking about his children and granddaughter or even great-grandchildren. It is almost a parody of itself.
    The day it was announced, I sent a link to some friends who like Doctor Who, and none of them were impressed with him, so I stand by my assertion. The Doctor should not look like he could be pimply faced or wet behind the ears.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 02:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] I'm not making any assertions as to whether or not he can portray the Doctor in some way, I'm certain he can do it, just as every other actor has done. It's more a matter of giving the impression that Doctor, like many other shows, are skewing their production to appeal to a younger audience. I feel, and have always felt, that whoever plays the Doctor should portray some maturity, not just emotionally, but physically. I think Peter Davison had the same problem, but he was a bit older when he took on the role and suffered less. Imagine Todd Smith's Doctor talking about his children and granddaughter or even great-grandchildren. It is almost a parody of itself.
    The day it was announced, I sent a link to some friends who like Doctor Who, and none of them were impressed with him, so I stand by my assertion. The Doctor should not look like he could be pimply faced or wet behind the ears.

If you see the [i]Doctor Who Confidential[/i], Moffat was looking for someone older, but Matt Smith was one of the first actors they auditioned, and he just impressed him and Wegner. They kept auditioning more actors, though most on the list were (according to Moffat) on the young side, they realized that Matt was "the one".

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 02:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian]It's more a matter of giving the impression that Doctor, like many other shows, are skewing their production to appeal to a younger audience.

And well they should. The show's not for old fans, it's for a mass audience.

At first blush I think Smith's too young as well, but we've got no idea what he did in the audition, nor do we know what Moffat expects of him. We'll see.

[Quote  by:  indiana_brian]Imagine Todd Smith's Doctor talking about his children and granddaughter or even great-grandchildren. It is almost a parody of itself.

Matt Smith talking about his character's granddaughter is really no less plausible than Tennant doing the same (although they've only had him talking about siblings and children thus far). In fact, what could really wind up SELLING him as older-than-he-appears would be recurring appearances by his "new daughter," Jenny.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 03:54 PM EST
    FWIW I'm mildly disappointed.

Looks like they have plans of turning it into Gallifrey 53201, but the proof will be in the pudding.

If he turns out to be a dud, perhaps they'll do an early regeneration.

TardisOverlord
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed