The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Doctor (Suit)
    The Doctor (Suit)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Doctor Who Chatter »  My Shame At Being A Doctor Who Fan
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    My Shame At Being A Doctor Who Fan Views: 1998
     Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I'd rather see forum threads with a hundred vitriolic responses posted within the space of an hour after the announcement of a new actor, than ones with 10 positive posts over the course of a day.

Personally, I find pre-judgement boring. For me i's the students I know who turn round and say: "Nah. Don't wanna read Shakespeare or poetry cos it's boring! It's got nothing to teach me!"
    Yeah, everybody is enitled to any opinion. They're even entitled to believe they have rights over a TV programme. However, the intelligent, open-minded response would seem to me to wait and see and then express an opinion or a judgement founded in fact or experience.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM EST
    I haven't been following any of this backlash, but I have a secret for some of the fans:

(Shhh... gather round... Peter Davison is not Tom Baker either! And Christopher Eccleston isn't Patrick Troughton! And furthermore, David Tennant isn't Jon Pertwee! Oh... and as a last point... David Tennant isn't god!)

There. I said it.

Each Doctor is different. I remember the backlash when it was announced Chris Eccleston would star in the new series, and how crappy that was going to turn out.

And remember when we heard that, of all people, Billie Bloody Piper!!! was going to play the companion????

Yeah, folks needs ta chill, generally.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 07:20 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]However, Steven Moffat commands much respect from me some of the best revived who we have seen, excellent comedy series etc. If we take him at his word (from Doctor Who confidential) that Matt is the Doctor (given the appropriate script) then I for one am willing to wait and see before making my judgement.

That about sums up my thoughts, as well. I'd be lying if I said I had no concerns about Matt Smith, considering I haven't seen anything he has done. But Steven Moffat has written some of my favorite episodes and if he thinks Matt is the best choice I'll back his choice. I may have to go check out some of those OG posts, though. I'm a little curious now. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 03:03 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] American fans, in particular, have spent an insensible amount of money supporting the cause. More money by far than the typical British license payer, because, we potentially pay (or have paid) our local PBS station a sum of money specifically earmarked for the presentation of Doctor Who.

A strange argument. And flawed. Doesn't the money you've paid to a PBS station, go to that PBS station. Sure some of that cash then goes to the BBC, but the general coffers - not straight to the Doctor Who Production Dept.
    Do any of us have ights over art? We pay to see a film, enter a gallery, read a book - but do we have the same rights as a customer in a fish and chip shop?
    We can express opinions, sure. But cotrolling the content of art?

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]While I agree that tone is important, I found the linked article about entitlement fascinating in its hypothesis but flawed in its conclusion. People emphatically do have a right to feel entitled, a right even to be angry, overjoyed, or, like you and me, fairly unemotional about the pick.

I think people have the right to feel however they want about anything. Whether it's a healthy or productive feeling is a subjective call and depends on the situation. You can probably tell where I'm going from there. Smile

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]The way I see it, Doctor Who is a product. It's a good in which we fanboys and girls have invested a lot of money.

So I can understand feeling attached to a product. My trusty Titanium PowerBook is beginning to break down, and I'm going to have to take it to the woodshed and shoot it someday soon, and I'm a little...verklempt...about it... (sniff)

There. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm a Mac fan, a Team Fortress 2 fan, a Doctor Who fan, and so on. I've spent a lot of money on them, and so on. But on any of these I'm a minority shareholder. If one of the products breaks, or the creative team takes a direction I'm unhappy about, of course I'm going to feel upset. But have I been wounded or screwed? If I'm a subscriber to a massively multiplayer game, maybe. If it's a casting change to a fifth series of a show that I've paid no license fee for and have only bought up to the fourth series box set, I don't think so.

Let me be clear: I love the RTD era and am nervous about the transition away from it; Moffat will likely improve on some things but also get away from some of the stuff that I really liked. But in the unlikely event I hate Series 5, it will not have changed Series 1 through 4 in the slightest. I still have them.

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]American fans, in particular, have spent an insensible amount of money supporting the cause.We're very much entitled, given how much financial support we've given to say whatever we want about any aspect of Doctor Who.

American fans are still a tiny, tiny fraction of the worldwide Doctor Who audience, though. And I'm one of those fans who never contributed to public television in the old days (too young) and never spent a dime on Doctor Who merchandise of any sort until the revival. So I think you're overgeneralizing about the importance and investment of American fandom. It's a sliding scale.

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]To put it plainly, we are the customers. We are, quite simply, always right.

Yes, but what about when the customers disagree? Everyone has the right to their opinions about Matt Smith, "Journey's End," and the Series 4 theme arrangement, but the fact that we're a big, diverse audience suggests, to me, that a strong sense of humility is appropriate when defending one's relatively tiny (IMHO) ownership stake in a global phenomenon.

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]I think what fandom has to worry about is the point at which these voices of outrage are silent. When we're all conforming to a polite party line. Because dissent, especially loud, immediate, unfiltered dissent, means that people care. I'd rather see forum threads with a hundred vitriolic responses posted within the space of an hour after the announcement of a new actor, than ones with 10 positive posts over the course of a day.

If the dissent could be a bit more Zen, maybe I'd agree with you. Smile From my perspective, the healthiest state of affairs is when you love something to love it completely while trying to see it clearly. When it turns sour, try to fix it or walk away from it, but don't let anger, resentment or frustration consume you. Maybe it applies to relationships to TV programs as well as people. Smile

There's a Randy Pausch -- the "Last Lecture" professor from Carnegie Mellon who suffered from pancreatic cancer -- quote in his book about realizing that the grocery store self-checkout machine had double charged him for $15. He was mad, but it would have taken him another 15 minutes or so to sort it out with management, and he could afford the $15, and, y'know, he just had a few months to live, so why spend the time? He left the grocery store without looking back.

I'm trying to be more like him. Even if I did shout at my television over parts of "The Doctor's Daughter." I got over it. Mostly. Smile

Sorry for the soapbox; I'll get down now.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 19 2009 @ 08:56 AM EST
    British types can contact Points of View or the BBC and try to get a response. There usually is one, if enough share the same opinion then there is often an impact on the show.

Non-British types? Well, you can complain to the BBC (but won't get very far I should imagine) or to your own TV station. If your TV station get's enough complaints they'll probably cancel DW on their station, so I don't advise it. Still, that's the choice for overseas customers, buy it and watch it or don't. Unfortunately, if you're not British, it's a case of hand-me-downs, you have to hope your relations had good fashion sense because you'll have to make do with what's already been chosen.

Of course, you could always petition the US Government to join in with the Licence Fee. What an amazing organisation the British/American Broadcasting Corporation could be...

-- BongMong :)~
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed