The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Dapol Mel and Cyberman
    Dapol Mel and Cyberman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 3 »  my Sarah feelings
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    my Sarah feelings Views: 1088
     Saturday, January 17 2009 @ 01:40 PM EST
    Or rather my feelings about this show. I am rather ambivalnt about Torchwood and less so about Sarah Jane's adventures. I always liked actin where kids vs adults or kids vs monsters or crooks and this has that feel to it…only it has a hindrance…Sarah Jane. I mean this would work as a Tmorrow People series minus the stuffy Sarah Jane. I also feel that they have her very very wrong here. Sarah was always the warm one, who could wander in and make people like her immediately and make others warm to the Doctor, too. Here, she’s just…played like a lone loser (wh pined awy for the Doctor all those years and never married or even seemed to have any social life) who needs others around her because she got…weird thanks to the Doctor. Also her insistence at being called Sarah Jane and not just Sarah strikes me as odd too. Since when did she want to not be called Sarah alone? The strong point to the seasons are Luke and Clyde, the young actors being just right for each part and acting their socks off amid middle to great scripts, some of which have been ripped off from other things and other shows and stories including the clown thing. The series…I feel this and Torchwood would be better off not existing so we could have more Doctor Who and more stories per season and more energy from the crew and creators of DW put into DW and not these two series. If I had to pick one to go it would be the dark, gutter trash Torchwood though. I love the cast of Sarah Jane. I just think they are grasping at straws setting two series on Earth and basing them around alien invasions almost all the time. Sigh. The scripts have been kay of late though

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 19 2009 @ 04:00 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Chase]The series…I feel this and Torchwood would be better off not existing so we could have more Doctor Who and more stories per season and more energy from the crew and creators of DW put into DW and not these two series.

I don't watch either show, so it wouldn't bother me if they axed them or not, but that would surely have no effect on the number of episodes of DW you would get.

The BBC would just use the SJA or TW budgets on other shows to fill those timeslots, not reallocate the budget to DW.

As for wasted creative effort, if the shows are just rip-offs of other things as you point out, surely they aren't expending much extra energy on SJA and TW? Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, February 21 2009 @ 05:18 PM EST
    Yeah they are. The effects, costumes, sets, cameras, acting budget, etc are all used...and would be best be spent on Doctor Who itself.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 22 2009 @ 05:30 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Yeah they are. The effects, costumes, sets, cameras, acting budget, etc are all used...and would be best be spent on Doctor Who itself.

Well skipping the fact that these shows have fantastic ratings so they will continue to be made regardless of your views, if they were not made it would not mean more Dr Who. The BBC give a production a budget and they have to stick to that, cancelling production "X" doesn't mean production "Y" can have the their money.

Look at the facts, it already takes 9 months to get 13 episodes of Doctor Who out, just throwing more money at it won't necessarily speed up the process and besides, even if it did quality would suffer. Likewise, this isn't the way the BBC works so this money would NOT be given to the doctor Who production, it would be given used to produce other new shows. Finally, there is some sharing of resources between the 3 shows but they all have separate production teams working independently of each other.

If you don't like Torchwood or SJA (which I personally think is fantastic) then that is fine, you're entitled to your views and the world would be boring if we all liked the same thing but please don't delude yourself that these show existing is depriving you of more Doctor Who.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 22 2009 @ 01:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]
    If you don't like Torchwood or SJA (which I personally think is fantastic) then that is fine, you're entitled to your views and the world would be boring if we all liked the same thing but please don't delude yourself that these show existing is depriving you of more Doctor Who.

In fact it is quite the opposite. Because of the success of Doctor Who the two spin-off shows were born. If Doctor Who hadn't been so successful the other shows would not have been created.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Chase] I also feel that they have her very very wrong here. Sarah was always the warm one, who could wander in and make people like her immediately and make others warm to the Doctor, too. Here, she’s just…played like a lone loser (wh pined awy for the Doctor all those years and never married or even seemed to have any social life) who needs others around her because she got…weird thanks to the Doctor.

That's sort of the point though, isn't it? This is a much older sarah. A sarah who maybe did waste a lot of her life pining for the Doctor. Maybe not in a professional sense but rather in her personal life. Nobody could ever live up to him or maybe she was scared of commiting in case they just up and left like the Doctor. Either way she is an attempt to show how the Doctor can affect people negatively as well as positively. A underlying theme that has existed since the series returned.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored