The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    A Tardis in Scarborough - The Doctor pops over for fish and chips.
    A Tardis in Scarborough - The Doctor pops over for fish and chips.
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Tom Baker Era »  Ark In Space one to three
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Ark In Space one to three Views: 563
     Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 12:40 PM EST
    This is as great as everyone says. The first ep is a sort of throwback to WHEEL IN SPACE but this time there are no other guest stars or actors besides Sarah, Harry and the Doc and what a team they do make, joking, serious, angry at each other sometimes. Itís just well done. Tom is so good in this but so are all the actors in this. Vira would have made a great companion. Rogin is just very funny. The Wiirn, in idea are creepy but the executionÖthey look kind of comical. When Lysette dies, itís not funny, itís imagined and thatís worse. Anyway, WHY was Noah acting like he was taken over BEFORE his infection? Maybe there were eggs inside him.

Others often site how ALIEN copied this episode but truth is this episode copied an old movie called NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST along with IT THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE, as did ALIEN after it. Itís not the plot that is so original, just that the Doctor and company are there in the thick of it. Tomís speech is brilliant, Harryís interacting with just about everybody is brilliant, and Liz Sladenís reactions to everything are so spot onÖone can believe her confusion, fear, panic, loyalty. That is why she is so fondly remembered as a great companion, not the way her background or story is written, her acting is the thing. Truth is Sarah is really just a Lois Lane/Dale Arden type with no real depthÖLiz infuels her with the something moreness she needs to be real and likable.

The situation here is so tense and well done in so many ways. Tomís acting is tops in this.
    I also like the lighting and direction.

Oh and what's that missig scene? Vira tries to shoot Noah? I seem to remember seeing that but not on any DVD or video. Maybe it was on a syndicated version years ago?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM EST
    My favourite - that's why I'm trying to save it on the hurt/heal thread. Reasons I think that it's great:
    1. The atmosphere of the shiny new but sinisterly empty space station - great sets which would stand up even today.
    2. Sarah being trapped and in the cubicle and placed into chryogenetic (is that spely correctly?) sleep. Wonderfully chlaustrophobic!
    3. Giant insects falling from cupboards - my most vivid memory of Doctor Who as a child. I showed my daughter this recently and guess what - she ran from th room at this scene. Excellent - 25 years and still doing the stuff!
    4. Harry's first real outing on the TARDIS - one of my favourite TARDIS teams. Ian Marter actually wrote back when I wrote to him as a child.
    5. The beginning of a season story arc that sent the team off without the TARDIS at the end and did such things as two stories placed in the same timeline and two stories in the same place but different timelines.
    I really love this and will fight to the bitter end (ha!) on the hurt/heal thread!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 02:17 PM EST
    I remember being terrified by this story when I was a child (8) particularly a the green mutated hand (now obviously employing painted bubble wrap). I watched through the crack between the frame and the door to the hall (not from behind the sofa).

So in 2005 after I showed my kids "Dalek" from the new Doctor Who, they wanted to see more. Since I didn't manage to aquire any more of the first series until the vanilla DVDs came out, I resurected my VHS collection.

The Arc in Space was the first one in the player. At the end of episode one my two boys (then 10 and 8) were terrified and refused to view part two.

It just shows you its not to do with the SFX quality (the space station is obvioulsy a painted 2 Liter soda bottle) but the story and the telling (pay attention to that RTD). My kids were quite used to watching moderatly scary stuff at that time (X-men, Batman, Daredevil, Harry Potter etc.) so it wasn't just them being delicate.

So cracking story which is still terrifying (at least to the pre-teens).

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 16 2009 @ 12:20 PM EST
    The origins of this story are from the old Quatermass series from the 1950's - or at least that's what John Peel thinks when he did a review of this story in the 1980's.

He specifically points out "The Quatermass Experiment" and corrolations within the episodes - especially the the mutating arm which is "repeated exactly" (according to John Peel).

By the way: one of the first episodes I saw was episode 1 of this series and my reaction to the cliffhanger ending was "WHAT THE HECK"! From that moment on I was hooked on the show - despite my first episode being "The Armageddon Factor" (part 4). Sarah Jane was the character that really got me interested in the show.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored