The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    High School Who Locker
    High School Who Locker
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  NEXT DOCTOR REVIEW
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    NEXT DOCTOR REVIEW Views: 1212
     Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM EST
    NEXT DOCTOR: all gloss and almost no substance. Jackson was okay and would make a great over the top type Doctor, however, the story itself is…poor. I don’t care if we throw all caution to the wind and do incredible stories but this story and Journey’s End have alien invasion all over again and change the face of the show forever. This one in particular has an alien giant robot in the middle of the 1800s stamping all over, the Doctor thanked and…really goes overboard. And for what? Not a good story. The lady villain was a big fat bore, the Cybermen and shades do almost nothing interesting or different. Awww, Cybermen in snow. We haven’t seen THAT before (we have actually). Tennant’s on slow mo here. The only scenes worth mentioning are the opening (what a great Christmas feel as the Doctor emerges from the TaRDIS…only to have it spoiled by the oh so stupid ALONSY crapola), the closet Cyberman and the viewing of the other Doctors (Oh big deal!?), and the end. At this end, David does a fantastic acting job about how companions break his heart. Let’s look at that tear jerking statement and scence, well played as it is. Does it make sense? NO! Even in the new show experience it does not make sense.

Okay Susan found someone else but he locked her out of the TARDIS. Ian and Barbara left the Doc, fair enough. Vicki left because she was stupid and missed some of what historicals might have told her. Steven was thrust out of the TARDIS really. I guess “He had to” leave or should have left. Dodo left and didn’t even say goodbye so that qualifies as having broken his heart. Ditto Polly and Ben, they just left but at least they said goodbye. Jamie and Zoe had no choice…the Time Lords made them leave and made them forget the Doctor. Ditto Donna, the Doctor himself took away her memories, she had no choice but to forget him. IN talking to Jackson, The Doc made it sound like they just went off and forgot him and who he was. Okay who else? Jo got married and that surely did break his heart. Liz left to pursue her job…she might have had to or it was right to and I guess that hurt because he really needed a scientist assistant, not a goofball. Sarah was forced to leave by…HIM! Or by the Master if you believe some fan theory. So HE broke her heart. So what is the Doc playing at by saying they all broke his heart? Even Rose and Martha didn’t. He forced a fake Doc on Rose and left her and he broke Martha’S heart by not returning her love. So what’s he trying to do? Or say? He’s a jerk!  anyway, to go on, Tegan left him and that could have broke his heart, Turlough chose to leave too. Adric didn’t. He died and again, that was the Doc’s fault. He could have saved him (as Tegan once said—in Frontios I think, “When has that ever stopped you?”). Peri’s leaving? A bit muddled wasn’t it? Mel’s leaving? A bit stupid wasn’t it? Ace’s leaving? Who knows how she left? Grace turned him down flat so maybe that broke his heart.

Back to NEXT DOCTOR? Was all the changing around continuity worth it? Was the silly gimmick of “is he the Doc or not” worth the story? Was it entertaining? Maybe in the first 20 min of so it was. Maybve it was worth finding out the truth but once that happened…what else? Nothing interesting. RTD needs to leave NOW not later. He has no more energy for this show and no more ideas. He seems to think we always need these big giant gimmicky Earth in danger tales and that no smaller tales can be told. In fact, no real valid entertaining, dangerous (didn’t you just know that everything would work out okay in the end?) stories have been told lately. Nothing emotional. The last thing was Donna’s future parallel story (and that had problems too but at least it was gripping). NEXT DOCTOR? Bring the real one on and give him GREAT scripts ala the 2005 season. The new series had some great stories—almost the entire first season, pretty much the whole second season (But NEW EARTH stinks), and some real good ones in season three (the two part HUMAN NATURE stuff, the Sally Sparrow story) and some stinkers (the Empire State Dalek two parter—phew! And the Master two parter at the end with an awful actor miscast as the Master). The fourth season started out poor (PARTNERS IN CRIME is daft and unfunny, RTD cannot write DW anymore) but then rose to new heights with every episode (the two part Library one ended weakly but it was okay) up to and including MIDNIGHT and TURN LEFT (as dark and depressing as both of those are) and then…ended AWFUL with that two part Journey’s End storyline…I’ve gone off on that elsewhere…but…

Ratings aside---they’ve been great…proving that quality stories don’t get ratings as much as the crap giant ones---DW needs to go small and needs to go to places and plots it hasn’t been to yet in the new Series. Frankly with the BBc ratings machine I doubt it will. I will have to trust new show producer, director, and writers…but I predict more alien invasions and more Earth in danger stuff. Hopefully not and hopefully the Xmas shows will be dropped, since Xmas Invasion, they’ve been pretty bland (RUNAWAY BRIDE was terrible, VOYAGE was okay as a tribute to disaster movies). I’d like to see the show spread out and TORCHWOOD cancelled to allow more time and eps on DW…I can dream can’t i?

NEXT DOCTOR? Who really wants to watch it a second time?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 02:27 PM EST
    Cancelling Torchwood will not mean more episodes for Doctor Who.

I do have problems with Torchwood but there's many people who love it, so as long as they do (and watch) - keep it on. And I do hope RTD (who seems to be a better writer on Torchwood tbh) stays with it. In fact I hope RTD writes for Doctor Who every year, just to piss off those people who call one of THE BEST television writers 'crap', despite his wonderful efforts in bringing our programme back.

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 02:50 PM EST
    How can you say that RTD is a better writer for TW? He's written one episode that's been broadcast to date. I mean, I guess we'll be able to make that determination once series 3 airs, but currently, there's not much hard evidence to go on.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 09:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Chase]NEXT DOCTOR? Who really wants to watch it a second time?

I do. Razz
    I've watched it, if I had to count, about 11 times now.

So there.
    Plus I LOVE Torchwood, and would die if it was cancelled.

How's that for a reply XDDD

bye bye david :(

Sunday, February 15 2009 @ 10:55 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] How can you say that RTD is a better writer for TW? He's written one episode that's been broadcast to date. I mean, I guess we'll be able to make that determination once series 3 airs, but currently, there's not much hard evidence to go on.

I was supposed to write, showrunner/producer! I actually don't have any issues with any of his Doctor Who episodes but he does seem at his best when he's writing adult drama. His back catalouge suggests as such.

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 16 2009 @ 11:17 AM EST
    I guess Chase really wasn't a fan of "The Next Doctor"!!! It definitely benefits from at least a second viewing, IMHO. (Though what was with all the mascara on Jackson Lake's son?)

As for the Doctor having his heart broken, remember what he said to Rose in "School Reunion"? Something like "You can spend the rest of you life with me. I can never spend the rest of my life with you" plus something about watching the companions growing old, I think, while he never ages but regenerates. Having to part (for whatever reason), with many companions over the course of his 900+ years is bound to be difficult even for a Time Lord used to human frailty.

FWIW, I seem to remember that during the time when the Doctor was banished/stranded on Earth, all we had was "alien invasions and more Earth in danger stuff."

[Quote  by:  cybercolin]In fact I hope RTD writes for Doctor Who every year, just to piss off those people who call one of THE BEST television writers 'crap', despite his wonderful efforts in bringing our programme back.

Without RTD, I doubt very much that we'd have any Who on our screens at all. AND he managed to get it back on at a time when Michael Grade was back at the BBC and we all know what he was responsible for!!

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Just wanted to put my six pennyworth in.

Life, the Universe and everything is just nature's way of saying chaos theory works just fine!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 16 2009 @ 12:32 PM EST
    What i'm more thankful for is the fact that RTD and Doctor Who have made UK sci-fi/fantasy fashionable again. Even Grade and ITV are starting to produce more stuff. Sadly it isn't very good but at least their trying!

Monday, February 16 2009 @ 01:28 PM EST
    Yeah thing about invasions back then is that: most of them took place in back alleys, forests, etc. True during Trougton' time there was a big Cybermen invasion but everyone was put to sleep! ANd the Yeti made every one evacuate. The big Pertwee ones were: INV of the Dinosaurs, the AUton invasions and...the maggots maybe but that was pretty isolated.

NOW we have the Entire Earth moved,CYMen all over the planet, Daleks moving the Earth, the Thames drained and big spider monster ship overhead, the Master killing the Pres. It's over the top and changes the show so that nothing is the same and yet...it is. Ah well.

SUre RTD did a lot for DW and sci fi fantasy in gneral but his writing recently...really realy sucks

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 06:52 PM EST
    Both agree and disagree with Chase.
    Overall, the NEXT DOCTOR, and JOURNEY'S END, were not good. They seemed rushed and frantic, "all gloss" and yes, we've been here before and much better in fact. The gimmick of Jackson as the doctor was cute, but covered too much of the story, leaving very little else. Did I hate this and JOURNEY'S END? No. They were entertaining, but they weren't good. In my book, some Doctor Who is better than no Doctor Who. With that having been said, I agree too with Chase about the invasions in the classic series--small scale, something brewing and hidden, something unknown and dangerous; the Doctor working incognitio had this great feel to it, like we were watching something secret--in other words, I don't like giant metal robots or the earth moved across the universe. I hope too, as the reins pass from RTD's into Moffat's, that the Doctor moves from sad to dark, as the rumor mills allude to. Am tired of this sullen Doctor, crying and sniffling over the last 900 years. A few times is touching, every episdoe now? Please.

What we observe is not Nature Itself, but Nature exposed to our method of questioning.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 05 2009 @ 08:32 PM EST
    Thanks. I don't think some DW is better than no DW. If it's not good...why bother? I feel that is the problem with DW throughout its life. Allthe bad stuff adds up and makes the good stuff buckle

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 02:10 PM EDT
    This Christmas special was aimed squarly at the viewers who ordinarily never watch Dr Who (or at best the casual viewer) so need something they can watch without knowing the shows history.

This could have been a great episode (and I had hoped against hope that he would have met his future self) but in the end it added nothing and the build up to the episode was more exciting than the episode itself.

The giant cyberman was not needed, and for a super warrior it didn't last long. And when the woman became a sort of cyberwoman she just looked bizarre rather than frightening.

I agree with the above point that Dr Who was always saving the world without the general public being aware that they were in danger (of course this only refers to his earth bound adventures). Ever since this new series started the Earth has been in very public danger a couple of times a year (to the point that one year London was deserted at Christmas - which at least had the Producer showing a recognition as to how things are now).

I think that the Cyberman have not really been used that well since their return in season two. They have been relatively easy to beat and not really been able to cause any real problems for the doctor. This could be due to the new format where they have at best two episodes to conquer the world where in the old days you could have gone four episodes before they even were revealed.

It is a shame that the new series has so far failed to create a recurring villain of its own - but I suppose that is for a different thread.

Back to this special, very poor and one I will not hurry to watch again.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored