The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Gareth David-Lloyd
    Gareth David-Lloyd
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Tom Baker Era »  Pyramids of Mars 3-4
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Pyramids of Mars 3-4 Views: 536
     Tuesday, March 10 2009 @ 07:12 PM EDT
    PYRAMIDS OF MARS 3 and 4

Again, it’s clear to see why this story had so many viewers and was the template for DOCTOR WHO for the most part from then until…well, now. Some people, myself included, sometimes state that the story falls apart in the last episode but I have to tell you now that I just watched it and it really flows and holds together. Not that if you pick it apart you can find a lot wrong with it. For one thing: just why did Tom Baker enter the TARDIS in the very last scene, exit it and kick out his foot at…what seems to be nothing?

Anyway, Sutek is suitably creepy. The voice alone is scary, and Tom gets a rip roaring cliffhanger in ep3…the eyes of Sutek just staring at him. Marcus Scarman is a creepy villain, the sets marvelous, the action pretty fast paced, Lawrence sympathetic, the fight scene that starts ep3 is well done and…this just moves along. And the Doctor was so close to losing. The games in the last ep don’t really slow things down. The Marx Brothers movement into the room and then out of the room was a nice nod but really silly of Lis and Tom but whatever. When examined in interior sets, the mummies don’t look so menacing, however, their past killings make one uneasy.

No one can play hurt like Tom Baker and when Sutek is torturing him, he’s at his best in pained acting and …it really works.I must admit, at times, when I first saw this story, I was like: what? Where are they now? Are they on Mars, in England, in Egypt? Where is that room? How did Mars contain Sutek? When the Doctor seems to be facing him? Where was that? Huh?

Despite the confusion and illogic that haunts almost all DW stories, I like this story and it really entertains. What more can one say? The Doctor’s attitude to death…especially Lawrence’s death…is disturbing at best and he just tosses the body aside like it was nothing to him. I guess this was to emphasize how alien the Doctor is…but it’s a bit too much for my taste and, when I first saw it, made me not like this Doctor but then again, Sarah is the human that things center around. Still, it makes it strange when the Doctor opposes Sutek and sticks up for life and humans when he’s just pushed over a dead man. This Doctor is thinking of the grander scheme of things…how many more lives he can save besides just this man.

There are quite a few character things going on between the Doctor and Sarah…and it’s nice to see. Sutek seemed to get what most people joked about: that the girl travels with the Doctor and the Doctor’s façade of just being fellow travelers really isn’t what that relationship is all about. Or was it?

The one thing I enjoyed about Doctor Who was that…at least at that time…was that the girl and the Doctor were not romantically involved…or interested…or so it seemed. Every other show around in the 70s and later the 80s had the female and male leads romantically involved or interested. The Doctor didn’t seem to be interested in that sort of thing…but really was he? Back then it was refreshing. Of course SCHOOL REUNION, while a good story, went and changed all that. Sarah was really into the Doctor that way and he just left her high and dry. He knew he had to. He was going to grow old…oh, boo hoo. Waaa waaa waaa. So Sarah’s pining for the Doctor in that story, for how long? 30 years? And she never married. What a loser they made her. I never felt that way about her in this story. Or during any of her time on the show. I felt she’d marry someone else, have children or at least a career and not be this geeky lonely stranger on Bannerman Road thanks to just waiting for a life…ie the Doctor returning but that’s another story.

Anyway there you have it, Pyramids of Mars, where stuff happens and one wonders why? Sometimes it seems to come out of the blue, the fire in the very end is one of those things. Still, the performances are ALL wonderful, the action dangerous and deadly, even Sarah’s little silly quips are okay if a bit annoying. I mean here she is almost blowing them up and she makes a quick, unfunny joke. Ah well. When’s Leela starting?

While watching this I felt myself wondering that. I mean nowadays a change of companion comes fast and furious that back then having someone in the show for five years…now feels like forever but even the longest running female companion (Sarah) was only in something like 17 stories! That’s not a great deal but it feels like forever. And sometimes I really love Sarah and sometimes I really find her annoying and frivolous.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored