The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louis Volunteering at WLIW during Doctor Who (pre-Embassy)
    Louis Volunteering at WLIW during Doctor Who (pre-Embassy)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Peter Davison Era »  KEY 2 TIME 2: PART THREE: CHAOS POOL (some sp..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    KEY 2 TIME 2: PART THREE: CHAOS POOL (some spoilers) Views: 1165
     Friday, March 27 2009 @ 10:45 PM EDT
    KEY 2 TIME 2: PART THREE; THE CHAOS POOL

This entire story is rather well done, but like much of DW, it falls apart at the end. Confusing reigns and things happen just for a nice neat wrap up. There are twists and turns and some of them make sense and are shocking and fun; others are just far too much and there’s a sense that the writer is just too clever for his own good and some of the twists and turns are just one too many. There’s also far too many characters, many female characters and they all sound the same! That said, much of their personalities or background is left to the listeners’ imaginations and that’s not always a good thing. I would like to know where this disembodied voice came from…the alien slugs remind me too much of the Vogans from HITCH HIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY only here, in this, these slugs are not funny.

Taking a side trip, the first parts of this trilogy were in the HITCHHIKER vein and WERE very much funny. Peter Davison: if you’re still smoking, quit. It’s ruining your voice. Peter’s in good form here and his breathless care about all (except for Adric of course) Doctor is well represented here. One can’t help but compare his Doctor to Tom Baker’s Doctor as this is a sequel to the Key to Time season (16th Season of DW). Oh, and Lalla Ward appears and I won’t give away which character she is playing…that’s two or three of the more clever twists.

And again, the whole thing is just a jumble of a big giant mess at the end. Despite some nice interplay between Lalla and Davison, it just only holds together in the end. I’m still not sure how it all ended and what exactly happened but again, this is DW…and one has to expect that from time to time…but I wish Big Finish would live up to its name and give us a big finish that doesn’t leave one feeling “that was a nice three episodes, pity about the fourth…”

Oh and what the heck is wrong with Lalla Ward? Her interview on the second disk makes her sound moronic. She has no idea of the charm of DW, does she? I really thought she had after reading past interviews. She said several things that made me go, “HUH?” Does she really believe the nonsense she spouts in this interview?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 01:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] This entire story is rather well done, but like much of DW, it falls apart at the end.
    Hold on a second!

In our discussion about The Android Invasion I made this very same point, and yet you passionately disagreed with it, giving a long list of serials that you felt had strong conclusions. Has further viewing/listening of "classic" Doctors brought you into the harsh light of reality? Or did you misspeak?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 01:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Chase] This entire story is rather well done, but like much of DW, it falls apart at the end.
    Hold on a second!

In our discussion about The Android Invasion I made this very same point, and yet you passionately disagreed with it, giving a long list of serials that you felt had strong conclusions. Has further viewing/listening of "classic" Doctors brought you into the harsh light of reality? Or did you misspeak?

I think the run of "Chase bashings" has tempered him. His critiques are more balanced than they were in the past.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 02:01 AM EDT
    Didn't realize there were "Chase bashings" going on. Certainly, my question in this thread wasn't intended as a sleight. I was honestly curious whether his opinion has migrated.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 02:27 AM EDT
    Sorry!

No insult intended.

Lately there has been a rash of (for want of a better term) "Chase Bashings" going on because he has been considered to be critical of the show.

Many of his critiques have been considered to be negative even though they have valid points. As a result he has gotten a reputation of being especially hard on the show.

Many of his comments are considered contreversial because they go against the grain of many fans of the show.

They're not "Chase bashings" per se..., but they are very hard on Chase.

TO CHASE: It's more tone than actual content. People would agree more if the tone was less negative and more positive. You can pick something to pieces like a buzzard, but if you give it in a positive view others are less likely to complain.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 06 2009 @ 11:38 PM EDT
    Yeah next time I'll preface it with, falls apart like almost all of Davison's stories, a rare few Tom Baker stories, about more than half of Big Finish's output, all but two of Colin's stories, and three fourths of McCoy's stories, and the last 20 minutes of the TV MOVIE, but almost none of the first three Doctor stories etc etc.

Then there's falling apart and there's really falling apart. True taht in ANDROID INVASION's case, something can't fall apart that was never really together so there's bad storyteling, poor climaxes, and something so awful logically like Andriod, Invisible Enemy, Trial, Time and the Rani that it can't fall apart because it's so bad.

Then there's something like MASQUE OF MANDRAGORA which has three good eps following by a part four tht hangs there without logic and doesn't end satisfactorially although no one we really love dies. Which leads me tooo...the whole Adric's death debate ...for another time.

SO to backtrack, no, most TV DW does not fall apart (pre Davison? but post Davison it does?) but RTD is quickly, rapidly (?) adding to the girth of bad DW that falls apart and/or stinks from the first scene so no, not most DW fall apart. DW is a big universe now.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored