The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    tom baker poster
    tom baker poster
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Why is this such a concern?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Why is this such a concern? Views: 2256
     Tuesday, April 18 2006 @ 04:39 PM EDT

The trouble with posting messages to the forum while multitasking (such as I am doing now posting this while I am at work) is that you are often called away and left with half-written replies that never get posted or need to be re-written when I come back to them because I lost my train of through or something... or in this case, it probably was posted before I even finished it.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 05:43 AM EDT
    Ok guys - I've been lurking here for a while and listening to Podshock on and off since it started (time permitting) but have now made an effort to drop all of the Podcasts I donít really listen to and just concentrate on the few I really like. This has given me back about 3GB of disk space!

Reading this thread has motivated me to register and add my humble few pennies, for what they are worth.

First off, excellent Podcast - keep up the great work. I certainly think it's the best Doctor Who podcast and have dropped the 'other' Doctor podcast I was dipping my toe in the water with - so to speak! Big Grin

A few things I think that might improve Podshock.

1) Unless something significant has happened in the world of Who then try and keep it around 1hr30 as a maximum?

2) I love the informal nature of the show and your interaction with each other but think that maybe you could try to keep it a bit tighter with regards to the subject being discussed and don't allow yourselves to be drawn too far off topic?

3) Perhaps drop the feedback unless it's directly relevant but have a semi-regular feedback pod cast. I guess this could be a timesaver as all three of you won't need to be together to produce it?

Also, I'm a bit surprised that you haven't got a new Podshock out ASAP following the start of series 2 in the UK. I know you've all got day jobs but this is a mega event, maybe an aftershock would be in order? I'm just worried that by the time you do discuss it the buzz would have died down and everybody else will be looking to the new episode. Perhaps thereís a possibility here for James to do an episode specific Podcast on his own with perhaps some Ďguestsí from the UK for the duration of series two? I may regret this but Iím prepared to put-up and shut-up and join James reviewing an episode after its aired!

Like I said, these are simply ideas and comments, reading them back it might seem that Iím running the show down and only looking for things I see as negative. This is not the case at all I'm in no way trying to detract from the great show. The many positives out way the very few negatives and I'll be listening religiously from now on. It's certainly much better than anything I couldwould produce and at the end of the day - it's free!!! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 01:19 AM EDT
    As a relative newbie to Podshock (been listening since 29 and just joined the forum not an hour ago) I thought I would drop a few cents here.

I have to admit, when I downloaded my first Podshock I just about fainted when I saw the length of it; however, being a newbie to the whole iPod insanity I wasn't sure what to expect, or even really what a Podcast was to begin with. It's the only Podcast that I subscribe to, and after that initial surprise and getting into the swing of it, I've looked forward to it!

I'm one of those folks that lives in the middle of nowhere; it takes me about an hour to get to university, and Podshock gives me something fun to listen to on those long commutes. To be honest, I probably wouldn't listen to it either if Louis, Ken, and James weren't so... amusing. I find thier little tangents of thought and quirks very enjoyable. I have plenty of other places I could go to get my Who news; most of the stuff they talk about I already have knowledge of. I listen to this Podshock mainly because I kind of enjoy three nutters talking randomly about my favourite show.

To make a long story short, it's regrettable that the post editing is so time consuming for Louis (trust me, I can completely relate to that.). But in that case, I look forward to the longer Podcasts and appreciate the work that all three of them put into it. Running a project like this is hard, and I know personally I quite enjoy the laid-back, fun feeling about it, even if it does take a bit longer - I'm just lucky that I have those long drives to spare! Big Grin

I love my thumb. I need my thumb. I'm very attached to my thumb.

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 09:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The X-Woman] It's the only Podcast that I subscribe to, and after that initial surprise and getting into the swing of it, I've looked forward to it!

I listen to this Podshock mainly because I kind of enjoy three nutters talking randomly about my favourite show.

To make a long story short, it's regrettable that the post editing is so time consuming for Louis (trust me, I can completely relate to that.).

Slightly snipped

Yes, It's the only Podcast I subscribe to - although i download a few others as mp3's

'I listen to this Podshock mainly because I kind of enjoy three nutters talking randomly about my favourite show.'

Brilliant comment that I totally agree with... usually chuckling to myself as I listen - but I do feel the 50Mb download of 1h 30m is at least a good target to aim for.

I know how long it can take just on an audio only piece to edit and clean up. Whilst my daught has been a Manchester University (UK) she's had her own radio show 'Old to Begin' on their 'Fuse FM' that gets one monthly air slots.

Old To Begin

For her to have a record of these shows I've edited and tweaked them to burn to CD - these is just staight-forward with no inserts or multi-parts to merge - and I've taken hours over it.

So well done the team and Louis for his all-nighters it shows in the high quality of the finished podcast.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 09:28 AM EDT
    I put the http bit in twice Oops!
    Sorry that should be

Old To Begin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 05:13 PM EDT

One of the nice things about iTunes and the iPod is that allows you to easily resume a podcast where you left off if you need to listen to it in more than one session. It automatically bookmarks subscribed podcasts where you left off, so when you play it again, it picks up right where you left off. You can also manually set this feature on any audio track in iTunes so it will behave the same way regardless if you are listening to it in iTunes or the iPod.

So the length of any podcast is never really that much of an issue for me.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 05:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The X-Woman] ...
    I listen to this Podshock mainly because I kind of enjoy three nutters talking randomly about my favourite show.

I love it! That's great. I think we will have to incorporate that into some sort of advertising tagline for our podcast.

Big Grin

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 05:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  The X-Woman]
    I listen to this Podshock mainly because I kind of enjoy three nutters talking randomly about my favourite show..

I love it! That's great. I think we will have to incorporate that into some sort of advertising tagline for our podcast.

Clive's son saying "It's one of your nutters", perhaps???

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 07:43 AM EDT
    Well I am not even the least concerned about the length of Podshock, although I can well imagine the tremendous amount of work involved creating it each week. With a diverse set of interests I listen to quite a few podcasts, but I could never waste my time doing a commute while listening to Louis, Ken and James chat about something more important than - well its Doctor Who and the greatest TV program in the known universe and I would sooner waste time on a commute listening to BBC News or Distorted View or even Daily Gizwiz, especially when everything the three nutters have got to say is something I care about and welcome both for their own insight and the amount of opinion from others included each week.

One of the big problems you face is the amount of 'Who' that is happening. Things could be grim with the show in haitus, but instead we have a revitalised show with both the 2005 series on the Sci-Fi Channel and the 2006 series up and running in the UK. To make matters even worse you have Big Finish's now monthly release schedule all of which are well worth hearing and hardly a week goes by without a 'Who' related event - the one thing I wonder is how on Gallifrey the three nutters manage to keep it so short, because Podshock is like TWIT... its a high production value podcast produced by people who more than obviously care a great deal about the subject.

On the other hand... well you know there are plenty of podcasts out their with people wineing and moaning about all sorts of things from the state of the economy or the cost of fuel or whether or not democracy still exists - there are literaly dozens upon dozens of others all about tech in which the people behind them apparantly know next to nothing about about how to present a show and just spout waffle over something which can be dealt with in a few moments sooner than a audio version of slashdot - there are even some in which the people behind them don't care from one show to the next about full on blowing their noses or coughing into the microphone or they use voip while one or more amongst them is busy downloading and they all end up sounding like so much broken up unintelligible twaddle.

So I think my vote goes into the don't care hat - I don't care if its shorter and I don't care if its longer, but I will care if making it shorter cuts the quality.

Sunday, April 30 2006 @ 02:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]I think we will have to incorporate that into some sort of advertising tagline for our podcast.

That would work! May help give people an idea of what they are getting into. Wink

I love my thumb. I need my thumb. I'm very attached to my thumb.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored