The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  

Topics  
Home
Doctor Who News (188/0)
DW: Podshock (201/0)
DW Reviews (33/0)
Torchwood (15/0)
Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
General News (29/0)
Embassy News (19/0)
Editorials (5/0)
Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
Jules Burt with Shaun Dingwall
Jules Burt with Shaun Dingwall
Browse Album

User Functions  
:

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  K9 and Company »  K9 AND COMPANY
     Next  Printable Version
    K9 AND COMPANY Views: 1672
     Monday, April 13 2009 @ 08:29 PM EDT
    I just broke this out since it was with INVISIBLE ENEMY and thought I'd go through the misery all at once and was pleasantly surprised. I really liked it. I know it's taken a lot of criticism over the years. I liked it. It set up an atmosphere of a Hammer Horror film and yet couldn't live up to that but it did a have a good idea behind it.

The theme song is horrible, the opening credits make Sarah Jane look like a wide eyed Moonie member and someone said they tried to go for a Hart To Hart opening (they failed to even come close to H2H's great opening credits).

But there is an old English charm about this story and a menacing creepy feeling that builds. It was supposed to be a 90 min special and was cut to about 50 min. That might explain the inconsistencies but there aren't many. I also felt that anyone could be part of the coven, even the creepy neighbors who weren't.

Also: I like Brendan. He's also taken some criticism over the years and his honking was annoying but he only honked once, ONCE! He's a good character for K9. K9 gave him the info about the soil.

And a blooper about ABOUT TIME's rview of this: ABOUT TIME says Brendan answers no to the quesiton of "can you recognize them" meaning the crooks. Brendan actually answers yes to that but no to the fact that he didn't know who they were. The real blooper is that one of the attackers is standing three feet away from him and he does not recognize him (George). I"m also glad they cut the part that was to have Bill's dog killed by Peter. How dare they even suggest such a thing!? Another thing fought for by JNT (who lost) was to have Brendan naked during the sacrifice or near sacrfice sequence. Perhaps the less I say about that the better. It would be realistic but...really. As it was, he was nearly naked under that flimsy robe/thing.

The K9 Annual based on this story is rather good and follows up the story about other covens.

This story moved at a fast pace (I watched it right after INVISIBLE ENEMY part 4--guess which one seemed like an endless five hours?)and had some geniuely creepy sequences and a great location shoot and excellent interior sets IMO. I liked it and I think it should have gone to series.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 22 2009 @ 05:47 PM EDT
    Chase -

I too watched K9 & Co for the first time just last week (thank you Netflix) and I agree 100% with your post. I was very pleasantly surprised with the show. Elisabeth Sladen was terrific and the nephew's acting had alot of heart (but wasn't wooden or over the top). The opening credits were somewhat laughable - I especially liked the cut of Sara Jane dressed like she was a Belinda Carlisle reject from a Go-Go's concert with the sideways pony tail....obviously an early attempt to make her character appear younger.

The feel of the episode seemed like a lost Hinchcliffe episode from Doctor who. The dreariness of the countryside worked well to establish a somber mood.

The best was the weirdo neighbors. I thought the best line that wasn't spoken was at the end of the show when Sara said "I'm sorry, but I thought you were part of the coven"....but what should have followed should have been something like...."...but it turns out you're both just really creepy." Ha ha - sip of tea, wink to camera and fade to black.

All in all - a good episode. I would give it a modest 3.5 tardis groans out of 5.

Yes, I still have the rubbish beard!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM EDT
    thanks for that. I like your ending better! Smile I too would give it 3 out of 5 or 3.5 out of 5, certainly sometimes memory cheats in the reverse. I was thinking this would have been a long boring watch but it wasn't. The location shooting helped it tremendously, Brendan was a good character despite one honk or so, and there were little plot holes here and there but nothing major. The atmosphere as you say was pretty good. I don't know if a full series could have come from it but it would have been nice to see it try in this vein rather than alien invasions every week!

Although I haven't read them for years and years, the K9 ANNUAL stories seem to have the same kind of atmosphere and plots as this. It might be interesting to revisit some of them or all of them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored