The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshockers!
    Podshockers!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Tom Baker Era »  The Horns of Nimon
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Horns of Nimon Views: 1292
     Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 04:16 AM EDT

Okay even I admit that Tom Baker went way too far in all the TARDIS scenes in this episode. I wonder if they were filmed back to back? He certainly didn't go that far in the scenes where he meets the sacrifices, the ones the evil co pilot calls, "Weakling scum." One of them is Seth, I think his name was. The actor played Paul in THE TOMORROW PEOPLE-THE DOOMSDAY MEN and here he's a bit older and by george he's good looking. But anyway, Tom's meeting with the young people is charming. But even there, one or two things he says, do not make sense ("Aneth, been to it?" "Yes but not yet."). What?

The TARDIS scenes: are decidedly poor; the Doctor takes apart key TARDIS things and doesn't seem to know what he's doing, acts really silly, and even tries to give K9 mouth to mouth, blowing in his mouth when K9's head turns the wrong way around. Then in the cliffhanger he hugs K9 when he thinks the planet body is going to collide with the TARDIS. Maybe he's really lost his mind.

The other two things wrong with this story and indeed this episode are---Graham Crowden as Soldeed and the Nimon costumes. Graham is thought by some to have been a great Doctor if he were ever chosen. Apparently those fans have seen him in something else...I think a comedy maybe but here, he's FAR too over the top. Add to that his role is mostly a FLASH GORDON Ming the Merciless type of villain complete with silly FLASH GORDON over the top costumes (both versions of FLASH, but at least the 1930s can say it was far in the past and that version was most tame than the 1980s version, which I don't think had happened yet or happened at the same time as this story). He's not the only costume that is poor, his first underling has a very odd costume, very dated and very poor.

The Nimon are the second in a row crap looking monster. The idea of a swarm of monsters and ones that look like the Minotaur (a great myth by the way...and didn't they mention this in the last story that the Doctor was involved with the original Greeks who were to be sacrificed?) is a good one. There is a very good movie MINOTAUR that was on sci fi channel. In its original form, it's a cracking good movie and even though set in a prehistoric past and a type of alt universe, it reminds me of a Doctor Who story, one that this story could have been like...

Instead we got this. The monster costumes are bulky, awkward, slow moving (some fans cite the movements of these creastures as compensating for the poorness but in this ep I can't agree, they look and move awkwardly as if the costumes have high heels on or platform shoes), and look as if they were cobbled together n some art class using paper mache. The mouths don't seem to move and the hands and arms look...too weak and thin...

Even with all of this, the general idea is still a good one and glad to see the TARDIS so immobilized that it cannot materialize or dematerialize and teh Doctor needs to use a forcefield to get across to the spaceship. I also like Lalla a great deal in this. She's commanding, sometimes blaming ("Why didn't you tell me we were moving") and forceful when she needs to be. She finally tells the Doctor she has her own sonic screwdriver (which she had since CITY but it looks thinner here).

Anyway not the best of starts here and for once, the blame goes to Tom Baker for his VERY silly over the top TARDIS scenes. What does he think he was doing?

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 06:17 AM EDT
    If it's that bad did RTD write it?

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 07:27 AM EDT
    This is by far and away the worst story ever in Doctor Who history. Way back when I was taping all of them off UK Gold on a Sunday morning I stopped recording this as it was so poor I didn't want to have it anywhere near me.
    I suppose that tape is knocking around still, it's probably whats on the tape in the movie Ring.
    I'd want to be dead after watching it too.

Bollocks...sir.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 09:17 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] This is by far and away the worst story ever in Doctor Who history.

I respectfully disagree as L&M is the worst ever. I also think Eden is worse than Nimon, but probably not by much.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 07:48 PM EDT
    Oh my. Why's everyone being so darned negative? Are you dissing Graham Williams? He can do no wrong. If you do not like it, why watch it? I mean you don't have to. And you kept the tape? Don't play it or you may end up going down a well? Or whatever. RTD wishes he could get something as innovative as this on tv! No, he's presently concerned with alien invasions over and over again or ripping off TREMORS. By comparison to PLANET OF THE DEAD, HORNS OF NIMON is a total classic. Uhm,k yeah, some of this is sarcastic.

It's funny to note that NO ONE reports on stories that I find positive but THREE or FOUR people feel the need to trounce on HORNS OF NIMON, which for the record I still find more entertaining that the growing recent record of RTD. His bad stores are far drooping his past good stories right now. And I predict the 10th Doctor era is going on THE BOTTOM of creativity and quality.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 12:55 AM EDT
    2-3

Well this improves somewhat. Aside from a few more TARDIS scenes where Tom overdoes it and Graham Crowden never stops overdoing it, this is an improvement over the last ep. Aside from one very short scene while Soldeed is chatting with Zorak and we see it shot from behind and can barely hear what they're saying! The other thing is that the chase scene...we know the Doctor isn't going to get killed...compared to a chase in GENESIS OF THE DALEKS doesn't have that tension. It does have Tom doing some more outrageous things but not as over the top as in ep1. ANd some if it is slightly funny.

Once in the maze, Tom slows down the humor a bit and this helps for once. The teens are pretty silent, not one of them talks apart from Seth and Teka, both of whom are passable actors. There's some gruesomeness with the decaying body and one of the suspended animation bodies getting shot out of the tube. But why the Nimon shoots at Tom's red hankie is beyond me...perhaps like a bull it can't resist.

Lalla again plays things completely straight and even waves her hand and arms about the teens protectively. And promises not to give away Seth's secrets. It really is an amazing bit of performance from her. The sets are adequate and nothing here comes off as terrible except for Soldeed crooning for the Nimon, "Lord NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIImonnnnnn." That's awful but a bit of direction would have helped.

There are two reasonable cliffhangers but again, the monsters don't look very good, in fact, the worst the series had to offer up to now, pretty much. Their motives are different, swarming from planet to planet is a new angle on invasion...

oh and the maze thing: when the Doctor uses stickers to find his way and puts them on the walls, this is straight out of Adam West's BATMAN in what is possibly the first CATWOMAN two parter on the 1960s tv show. But no matter, it's a nice nod and doesn't really make for a huge part of the story.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 09:45 PM EDT

Sorry everyone, but this turns out quite well. Graham still overacts and his death scene (Seth said he was dead but did Seth kill him or stun him? Or was the thing that stuns Nimon the thing that could kill humanoids?) is atrocious but here we have K9 to the rescue, Romana stranded on an alien planet without the Tardis and alone (when was the last time that happened, KEYS OF MARINUS?), the Doctor doing his best and not overacting, and guest star characters that could die. Things didn't look good for Teka to survive and Romana had her hands full.

While on Teka (!)...she has a thing for touching dead bodies. She touched one in ep2 and it turned to powder and now in ep4 she touches the dead co pilot. Why he wasn't put in the bins I don't know. I also wonder how many other sacrifices were still alive in the status...perhaps none because the only ones K9 and the Doctor get out are the ones that came with Seth and Teka. Yeah, there seem to be more than one Nimon already on Skonnos, the others try to get...and do get to SKonnos but the Doctor bounces them back...and they don't seem to realize that but no matter, the story moves on...

There's a thrilling escape from the Nimon with Seth, a kid in over his head and a Maze to encounter and to be honest, none of it is boring. It moves between K9 getting out of his predicament, Romana on the other planet getting helped by an old man--who is killed---, Seth and Teka getting separated, and the Doctor facing the Nimon or avoiding them. To be honest, this just is very entertaining. We kinda know the Doc and Romana are safe but no one else seemed to be.

The ending is quite cute with the Doctor thinking offhandedly about other times, other places, recalling something else or other, Romana lamenting the worlds they lost and the one that is about to change and also that the Doctor is once again taking apart the TARDIS console, and a cute joke about the Doctor misjudging when things are safe and not as well as him calling the TARDIS, "You have a few millennia in you yet," and Romana thanking him. TO which he says, "Not you. the TARDIS." She makes a face at him and then smiles. Just very cute, both Lalla and that ending. Sorry but this is how most stories should end...

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 29 2009 @ 07:25 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Oh my. Why's everyone being so darned negative? Are you dissing Graham Williams? He can do no wrong. If you do not like it, why watch it? I mean you don't have to.

Chase - am I missing a ton of sarcasm or something?? Unless I can't read, the rest of the post doesnt imply it in anyway!

In which case................

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 07 2009 @ 10:58 AM EDT
    Yes there is some sarcasm here. I'm just saying if someone presents what they don't like, it's not being negative, it's just how they see the story or show or whatever. If they don't like it they should be able to say it and in DW there's a ton not to like and a ton to like. So yeah...

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored